“Fabulous break with the girls”

Plaza on the River - Club and Residence
Ranked #211 of 1,088 Hotels in London
“Fabulous break with the girls”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Just returned from the plaza on the river , all we can say is another fabulous stay , this time it was with my girlfriends , we were celebrating a birthday , we were upgraded from a studio to a great huge one bed apartment , they had left us birthday chocs , these little touches you remember and makes you return . My only gripe was the air conditioning was turned off for the winter , it was unbearably hot , they offered a fan , but I don't think that would of made a huge difference . But Apart from that I'll be returning just not in the winter if they turn off the air con.

• Stayed February 2012
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear Girlfriend,
It's been snowing recently and the heating system has been controlled to support drastic weather chances but I'm glad to read you and the girls’ sill had loads of fun. I'm also happy and really blessed with a Team to support me and ensure guests like you had these experiences.
Have a great weekend.
Albert van der Westhuizen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Southend on Sea
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I was upgraded from an open plan to a one bedroom suite with a balcony overlooking the River Thames towards Parliament and the London Eye. Suite comprised of a dining/living room, bedroom and bathroom, all very modern and very comfortable. The suite was fantastic and I would not hesitate to stay her again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Gary E
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Southend on Sea.
Thank you for taking the time writing on Trip Advisor. We are looking forward to your next stay and wish you an enjoyable weekend.
Albert van der Westhuizen & Team
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We've just returned from spending a weekend at the Plaza on the River. From Arrival to Departure nothing could be faulted, Great and welcoming staff, Unbeleivable suites with fantastic views over the Thames. A great location within easy walking reach of all the excitement of Central London but just far enough way to be quiet and relaxing. The restaurant Chino Latino is also a must.

We'll be going back soon!

Room Tip: Try and get a river view Suite
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mitch F
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear UK
Thank you for your lovely comments on Trip Advisor and we are lookin forward to welcome you back. Please do contact myself directly when you do visit London again.
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Wow for location, wow for accomodation, wow for breakfast and service. Walk out of hotel and look to your right over the Thames to view Houses of Parliment. We had a two bed suite which was brilliantly laid out with a sitting and dining area, 3 TVs even fresh milk in the fridge and loads of toiletries i.e. Toothbrush and toothpaste mouthwash etc. Staff were so helpful and pleasant at reception. We had breakfast included and it was gorgeous! Would love to go back soon. Highly recommend it!
From Athlone in Ireland

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Sdkeena
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Sdkeena.
Thank you on your "wow" response and positive feedback. My Team are looking forward welcoming you back to your next visit and wish you a wonderful week and great weekend.
Buenos Aires
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Just came back from staying 6 nights with my kids at the Plaza on the River. We stayed in a River View One Bedroom Suite and breakfast was included in our rate.

The hotel is located on Albert Embankment, 4 blocks north from Vauxhall Station, and 15-20 minutes (walking) to the Westminster Bridge. The area is quite dead specially at night with just one or two cafes/pubs apart from the hotel ones. There are no touristic attractions nearby so be prepared to take the subway or taxi to connect with other areas. We found the location to be just OK for tourists, definitely not ideal but close to the tube where you connect to other areas. This is the only reason why I'm not giving it 5 of 5 as a rating.

The room was very nice, it was spacious, modern, clean and very well equiped. The kitchen has everything you might need and even includes a washer/dryer unit. I recommend paying the extra for a River View as they are very nice.

Breakfast buffet at Chino Latino restaurant was very good as well.

Service was GREAT. Staff were always very welcoming and attentive, always ready to help and assist us. Check in staff, concierge, guest relations and Chino Latino staff were all sooo accomodating. Also, the hotel has all the amenities of a 5 star hotel which include turndown service, complimentary WIFI in all suites, complimentary Voss water, a basket full of snacks and sweets, chocolates, Nespresso coffee, etc.

Although I don't consider the location to be ideal, the nice suites and great staff make this hotel a little gem and I definitely recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the RIver Views if you can and ask for a view of the Parliament!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tquinta
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
Dear Buenos Aires,
We would like to thank you for your comments and I will ensure the Team gets your feedback posted today. I do respect your comments with regards the location however I'm sure we have guest's visiting the London Eye, Aquarium and British Museum enjoying the 10 minute walk each way from the Plaza on the River. The Hotel might not be within the city centre however I'm sure everyone enjoys the peace and quiet after a busy day on this side of the river.
Have a great weekend.
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Plaza on the River: This is not a 5 star hotel!
My wife and I travel quite a bit to the UK, and we fly coach so we can stay at 5 star hotels. Being I have stayed at five star hotels in the UK such as the the Savoy, and the Four Seasons in the past, and being I read good reviews about the Plaza on the River hotel (PRH) both in Travel advisor and Expedia I decided to book 3 nights this past January (19th thru the 22nd). We arrived at the hotel at about 7:30PM with my wife, my 10-month-old son, a bunch of luggage and myself all stuffed in a taxi. At a 5 star hotel you would expect someone to come out the door and help you with your luggage, YET that was not the case with the Plaza on the River hotel. In fact no one even opened the door. Once inside I saw two bell captains standing by their station talking ignoring us. Finally one turned around and asked IF I needed help, of which I sad; "no being I lugged all this luggage in ourselves". I asked where was the check-in desk for the Plaza on the River. They pointed me to what turned out to be another hotel (Plaza on the River hotel is located within another hotel) so we lugged our luggage and baby to the desk, only to have to lug everything over to the other check in station for the Plaza on the River. Once we got to our room, we found it to be nice. We were surprised and disappointed that the two viewing windows were of a condemned building and one was of the river, but not the side that has Big Ben. That is the other hotel. Looking at a condemned building as a view in a 5 star hotel, charging such a huge amount of money makes no sense.
The next day we go out shopping, and when we got back that night (it was freezing that day) We come to the hotel main doors with our child in a stroller, and the door man was inside talking on the phone and ignored us, so again we were on our own (they dont seem to care).
While playing with my son on the floor of our room, he lifted the throw carpet and I was shocked to see enough dirt to plant shrubbery (see pic below)! I called the maid service manager who came in and had the maid vacuum under the rug, and under the chairs which from the looks if it had not been vacuumed in years.
In the morning when we went for breakfast I asked where they were serving the morning breakfast. I was told downstairs, so we lugged our son downstairs, and when asked by the waitress what our room number was, she explained that this was not where we should be eating and that our breakfast was upstairs agin different hotel. (It seems no one cares to ask what hotel we are staying at, being there are two hotels.)
On the final night of our stay I spoke to the assistant manager Gabriela telling her my whole horrid story. She thanked me for my comments, and said she would make my stay better. (Fat chance, being all we got is a half breakfast and a coupon) For my family and I the whole stay was nothing like the relaxation and service we get from a 5 star hotel like the Four Seasons or the Savoy. For all my trouble the hotel did give us a free Breakfast, and 60 pounds off our next meal, but being I will never stay at the hotel it seems kind of useless. I would have expected allot more then that, such as a another stay at the hotel where they can prove to me that this was a 5 star hotel.
When I have had any problems with a 5 star hotel they go out of the way to make our stay more pleasant, this was not the case at the Plaza on the River hotel! It seemed I was a manager teaching them how to act like a 5 star hotel.
To spend this much money on a hotel that does not provide what is advertised is a big no no in my book! Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Dont stay at the Plaza on the River, Stay at the other hotel at the same property, it has better vie...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Jesse H
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Jesse,
Thank you for your comments however I'm very surprised in your response on Trip Advisor after you've written in person to the Regional General Manager who listened and agreed on a compensation. You thanked him for his "professionalism and understanding!" and decided to still post your negative feedback on line? I'm not sure why a guest like yourself after this feedback accepted a complimentary stay when we tried to rectify your experience on the day which you didn't accept.
In the meantime we are looking forward to welcome you back for another visit and will ensure you experience the 5 star experience we proud ourselfes on.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I was booked into this hotel by my company expecting the normal London impersonal corporate hotel - What a refreshing change to actually meet staff who really cared. The room was quiet, albeit rather warm for my taste and can honestly say it was just as comfortable just like home, hence I had a great nights sleep.

The breakfast was more than adequate and filling. Alas due to my itinery it didn't afford me time to sample any of the other food.

Would I go to this hotel again - yes

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter H
Dear Reading,
Thank you very much for telling us about your most recent stay at Plaza on the River Club and Residence. I'm very proud to be leading such talented and decication within our hotel and sure they all appreciate your comments. Feel free to contact myself directly next time you would like to visit London.