“Didn't quite go to plan”
Review of Plaza on the River

Plaza on the River
Ranked #271 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed here as part of my son's birthday treat. I usually stay at the County Hall park plaza, but chose to give this a try as it is more of a apartment rather than a studio in PP county Hall so would mean greater space. I had emailed a few days before arrival about my so's birthday and if they had anything child friendly as the county hall hotel give out kid bags with drinks/ice cream vouchers, games, bubble bath and other nice bits, and just a generally child friendly hotel (in fact the best in London) I was told "when we have a birthday in house we give them special treatment" I was prepared to cancel my booking if they said they had nothing to offer my son and booked with County Hall as I know what to expect there.

Ther was a wedding show on the day I arrrived so was very busy so expected some service issues, what I did not expect was for the doormen to be standing around chatting to friends/event members whilst I struggle to open the door, one even looked at me and turned back round to continued chat.

Check in was fine, I booked a studio room and in that aspect everything was fine, the rooms are lovely although will agree with the issue about the air-con and the room being hot.

Whilst I am not looking for freebies, some kind of special treat for my son would have been nice, even if a few balloons, I could not have done this myself in advance as it was supposed to be a surprise, in this respect I felt slightly cheated as it is as if the guest relations person told me what I wanted to hear rather than thinking of my actual needs which essentially dampened the mood of the day. I would have gone over the the County Hall as I know they would have made some effort.

My personal dispointment aside, The room is nice and comfortable everything you could want is provided, although there was no ipod docking system in my room and had to order from reception, even though the mini bar lady came to my room whilst I was there and said she was going to check my items and give me milk, she never did and again had to call reception to receive the missing items once I realised she had not actually replenished. Turndown service was a bit half hearted, knocked on door, asked if I wanted anything, I took some towels, gave me a couple of chocs and went, not quite the turndown service i am used to but it was in line with the rest of the day so no surprise really. I liked the idea of the DVD rental, and there are quite a few latest releases. The view from my room was nice, I live in London so this does not WOW me, but as a tourist you cant get better.

Check out was fine, no problems there.

6  Thank hoxtonbabe
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Dear London
We appreciate your comments however Plaza on the River Club and Residence accommodate families, however majority of our clients are corporate guests. I can understand your disappointment with not having balloons, ice cream and goodie bags but we are not Park Plaza County Hall and what works for other hotels doesn't always work here. My Team informed me that they did try to make your stay as comfortable as possible even with a Friends and Family booking. I appreciate all your feedback however I don't feel that it's reasonable to judge us on your County Hall expectations when we try failed any other guests with similar requests.
Have a lovely week ahead and again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

Just returned from the plaza on the river , all we can say is another fabulous stay , this time it was with my girlfriends , we were celebrating a birthday , we were upgraded from a studio to a great huge one bed apartment , they had left us birthday chocs , these little touches you remember and makes you return . My only gripe was the air conditioning was turned off for the winter , it was unbearably hot , they offered a fan , but I don't think that would of made a huge difference . But Apart from that I'll be returning just not in the winter if they turn off the air con.

• Stayed: February 2012
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

Dear Girlfriend,
It's been snowing recently and the heating system has been controlled to support drastic weather chances but I'm glad to read you and the girls’ sill had loads of fun. I'm also happy and really blessed with a Team to support me and ensure guests like you had these experiences.
Have a great weekend.
Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 31 January 2012

I was upgraded from an open plan to a one bedroom suite with a balcony overlooking the River Thames towards Parliament and the London Eye. Suite comprised of a dining/living room, bedroom and bathroom, all very modern and very comfortable. The suite was fantastic and I would not hesitate to stay her again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Gary E
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

Dear Southend on Sea.
Thank you for taking the time writing on Trip Advisor. We are looking forward to your next stay and wish you an enjoyable weekend.
Albert van der Westhuizen & Team

Reviewed 30 January 2012

We've just returned from spending a weekend at the Plaza on the River. From Arrival to Departure nothing could be faulted, Great and welcoming staff, Unbeleivable suites with fantastic views over the Thames. A great location within easy walking reach of all the excitement of Central London but just far enough way to be quiet and relaxing. The restaurant Chino Latino is also a must.

We'll be going back soon!

Room Tip: Try and get a river view Suite
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mitch F
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2012

Dear UK
Thank you for your lovely comments on Trip Advisor and we are lookin forward to welcome you back. Please do contact myself directly when you do visit London again.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Wow for location, wow for accomodation, wow for breakfast and service. Walk out of hotel and look to your right over the Thames to view Houses of Parliment. We had a two bed suite which was brilliantly laid out with a sitting and dining area, 3 TVs even fresh milk in the fridge and loads of toiletries i.e. Toothbrush and toothpaste mouthwash etc. Staff were so helpful and pleasant at reception. We had breakfast included and it was gorgeous! Would love to go back soon. Highly recommend it!
From Athlone in Ireland

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Sdkeena
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear Sdkeena.
Thank you on your "wow" response and positive feedback. My Team are looking forward welcoming you back to your next visit and wish you a wonderful week and great weekend.
Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Just came back from staying 6 nights with my kids at the Plaza on the River. We stayed in a River View One Bedroom Suite and breakfast was included in our rate.

The hotel is located on Albert Embankment, 4 blocks north from Vauxhall Station, and 15-20 minutes (walking) to the Westminster Bridge. The area is quite dead specially at night with just one or two cafes/pubs apart from the hotel ones. There are no touristic attractions nearby so be prepared to take the subway or taxi to connect with other areas. We found the location to be just OK for tourists, definitely not ideal but close to the tube where you connect to other areas. This is the only reason why I'm not giving it 5 of 5 as a rating.

The room was very nice, it was spacious, modern, clean and very well equiped. The kitchen has everything you might need and even includes a washer/dryer unit. I recommend paying the extra for a River View as they are very nice.

Breakfast buffet at Chino Latino restaurant was very good as well.

Service was GREAT. Staff were always very welcoming and attentive, always ready to help and assist us. Check in staff, concierge, guest relations and Chino Latino staff were all sooo accomodating. Also, the hotel has all the amenities of a 5 star hotel which include turndown service, complimentary WIFI in all suites, complimentary Voss water, a basket full of snacks and sweets, chocolates, Nespresso coffee, etc.

Although I don't consider the location to be ideal, the nice suites and great staff make this hotel a little gem and I definitely recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the RIver Views if you can and ask for a view of the Parliament!
2  Thank Tquinta
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2012

Dear Buenos Aires,
We would like to thank you for your comments and I will ensure the Team gets your feedback posted today. I do respect your comments with regards the location however I'm sure we have guest's visiting the London Eye, Aquarium and British Museum enjoying the 10 minute walk each way from the Plaza on the River. The Hotel might not be within the city centre however I'm sure everyone enjoys the peace and quiet after a busy day on this side of the river.
Have a great weekend.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Plaza on the River: This is not a 5 star hotel!
My wife and I travel quite a bit to the UK, and we fly coach so we can stay at 5 star hotels. Being I have stayed at five star hotels in the UK such as the the Savoy, and the Four Seasons in the past, and being I read good reviews about the Plaza on the River hotel (PRH) both in Travel advisor and Expedia I decided to book 3 nights this past January (19th thru the 22nd). We arrived at the hotel at about 7:30PM with my wife, my 10-month-old son, a bunch of luggage and myself all stuffed in a taxi. At a 5 star hotel you would expect someone to come out the door and help you with your luggage, YET that was not the case with the Plaza on the River hotel. In fact no one even opened the door. Once inside I saw two bell captains standing by their station talking ignoring us. Finally one turned around and asked IF I needed help, of which I sad; "no being I lugged all this luggage in ourselves". I asked where was the check-in desk for the Plaza on the River. They pointed me to what turned out to be another hotel (Plaza on the River hotel is located within another hotel) so we lugged our luggage and baby to the desk, only to have to lug everything over to the other check in station for the Plaza on the River. Once we got to our room, we found it to be nice. We were surprised and disappointed that the two viewing windows were of a condemned building and one was of the river, but not the side that has Big Ben. That is the other hotel. Looking at a condemned building as a view in a 5 star hotel, charging such a huge amount of money makes no sense.
The next day we go out shopping, and when we got back that night (it was freezing that day) We come to the hotel main doors with our child in a stroller, and the door man was inside talking on the phone and ignored us, so again we were on our own (they dont seem to care).
While playing with my son on the floor of our room, he lifted the throw carpet and I was shocked to see enough dirt to plant shrubbery (see pic below)! I called the maid service manager who came in and had the maid vacuum under the rug, and under the chairs which from the looks if it had not been vacuumed in years.
In the morning when we went for breakfast I asked where they were serving the morning breakfast. I was told downstairs, so we lugged our son downstairs, and when asked by the waitress what our room number was, she explained that this was not where we should be eating and that our breakfast was upstairs agin different hotel. (It seems no one cares to ask what hotel we are staying at, being there are two hotels.)
On the final night of our stay I spoke to the assistant manager Gabriela telling her my whole horrid story. She thanked me for my comments, and said she would make my stay better. (Fat chance, being all we got is a half breakfast and a coupon) For my family and I the whole stay was nothing like the relaxation and service we get from a 5 star hotel like the Four Seasons or the Savoy. For all my trouble the hotel did give us a free Breakfast, and 60 pounds off our next meal, but being I will never stay at the hotel it seems kind of useless. I would have expected allot more then that, such as a another stay at the hotel where they can prove to me that this was a 5 star hotel.
When I have had any problems with a 5 star hotel they go out of the way to make our stay more pleasant, this was not the case at the Plaza on the River hotel! It seemed I was a manager teaching them how to act like a 5 star hotel.
To spend this much money on a hotel that does not provide what is advertised is a big no no in my book! Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Dont stay at the Plaza on the River, Stay at the other hotel at the same property, it has better vie...
3  Thank Jesse H
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear Jesse,
Thank you for your comments however I'm very surprised in your response on Trip Advisor after you've written in person to the Regional General Manager who listened and agreed on a compensation. You thanked him for his "professionalism and understanding!" and decided to still post your negative feedback on line? I'm not sure why a guest like yourself after this feedback accepted a complimentary stay when we tried to rectify your experience on the day which you didn't accept.
In the meantime we are looking forward to welcome you back for another visit and will ensure you experience the 5 star experience we proud ourselfes on.