“Fabulous views - with 3 negatives”

Plaza on the River - Club and Residence
Ranked #217 of 1,068 Hotels in London
West Glamorgan, Wales
“Fabulous views - with 3 negatives”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Booked this for a weekend break. We opted for a suite with a balcony and River Thames views, and were given an excellent room on the 5th floor with stunning views to Parliament and Big Ben. I was assured we could check in at 2pm, however, to be safe we arrived at 2.45pm. The receptionist informed us the room was not ready as had been assured and to return a few hours later. She had made no call at this point to check, so I asked her to. when she tried to call housekeeping, she hung up and told me the line was busy and *shrugged*. She then informed me that I could use a toilet if I wanted to change. At that point the red shutters came down. I can understand that sometimes rooms are not ready, but when you check and when a receptionist can't even reach housekeeping before pointing you to the loos - that is crap service. Fortunately, another staff member intervened and called housekeeping a radical second time. The room, in fact, was ready. However... asthmatics - this is not the place for you. It had been sprayed with something that saw me immediately have an attack and have to take medication. It actually took me abour four days to get over whatver they had sprayed. final complaint (ok, I am being negative, but these are key points), I had made the booking directly with the hotel and added breakfast on. we decided not to have breakfast at the hotel restaurant) and informed the hotel (we had spent just over £100 room service - including champagne). When we checked out, they refused to take it off the bill saying it was part of the package rate. I am writing to them, and our credit card provider, separately on this. Overall, if you pay for a suite with a balcony and a good view they are the plus points, hence 3/5 solely for the view. We didn't try the Latino/Asian restaurant which did not appeal at all (apparently a Latin bar and a Chinese/Japanese menu with just a few options for each course). Room service was not good 2/5. next time we go to London we'll stay north side of the Thames at the Savoy or Ritz. we may not get the same view, but i know we'll get the service and good foob as befitting a five star property.

Room Tip: Specifially ask for one that faces to Parliament and Big Ben. The hotel is built at different andgle...
6 Thank Cocoa321
Gabriella_Kolber, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Cocoa321,

Firstly may I take this opportunity to apologize on behalf of the entire Plaza on the River Club and Residence for the inconvenienced caused regarding recent reservation with us.
The observations of our guests are of paramount importance to us therefore your comments have been forwarded to the relevant departments.

I would like assure that this is not the service we pride ourselves on and I would like to thank you bringing it to our attention. It is due to feedback from our guests that we are able to review areas of our service that might require attention.

Should you return to our hotel, please feel free to contact me directly so I can contact Housekeeping beforehand not to use sprays/strong chemicals when cleaning you room.

I truly hope that this incident will not discourage you from choosing to stay with Plaza on the River in the near future.

Kind regards,
Gabriella Kolber
Assistant Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We loved our time at the Plaza on The River. Fantastic accomodation, and superb service! My husband and I were travelling with our 15 year old daughter, who loved having her own bedroom, and bathroom. We used the kitchen every day for breakfast. The several times we called down for items (a heater for the room, a conventional tea pot) we were quickly provided with our requests, and each time received a follow up call from guest services to be sure we were satisfied.
Perhaps because we were there for 7 nights, we received a lovely gift basket of crisps, fruit, and goodies on our arrival, a 25% discount for Chino Latino, the very good restaurant in the lobby, and free drinks coupon for the bar.
We used the concierge to book theatre tickets, and received a nice letter from him explaining how to get to the theatre, and our travel options there.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank KARD814
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Dear Canada.
Thank you very much for your email and we are very please to read your comments with regards your last stay with us.
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This hotel is not cheap, but a good hotel in London isn't. The rooms are excellent, well maintained and convenient. Check-in service is very good and staff is very helpful.
My room had inside view. Nothing to look at but quiet. Just a short walk to the Millennium Wheel and other attractions along the Thames.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Richard4570
Dear Netherlands,
Thank you for your message on Trip Advisor and we wish you a wonderful week and hope to welcome you back someday soon.
Bilbao
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed in a suite with the same view as can be found on their website ie overlooking the Thames and Houses of Parliament, spectacular! And the suite was as good as the view, very clean and comfortable complete with a Nespresso machine. The major problem was that their AC and heating system cannot be combined and because of the earlier warm spring weather the heating had been turned off. Heaters were available but cannot be used in the bathroom which was FREEZING! Management are trying to resolve this problem.
There were also some problems with service and poorly trained bar staff but the hotel manager was very responsive to our comments.

1 Thank Harrogatedazza
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Dear Harrogateedazza,

Thank you very much for your Tripadvisor comment. I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the apartment was suitable for your needs.

Please accept my apologise for the inconvenince caused by the AC system.

Your comments have been passed on to the Bar Management and as mentioned earlier a re-training program has been scheduled for the Bar staff.

I look forward to your next visit.
Kind regards,
Gabriella Kolber
Front of House Manager
Glasgow
Reviewed 23 March 2012

While traveling back from Lisbon, my flight connected in London and I decided to stay for 2 days to catch up with old friends.

I booked this hotel as a treat to myself. I got it through late rooms 'secret hotel' deal, whereby you don't know the name of the hotel until you pay for the room, which means you get it at a heavy discount.

When I first arrived I accidentally stood at the wrong check-in desk for about 20 minutes, although I suspect this was largely due to the fact that I was tired and misread the signs. When I did make it to the correct check in desk, I was shocked as it's just a desk and not a large counter like you get at a big branded hotel - it felt very personal.

The rooms are fantastic - great size with all the amenities you would expect. I didn't have a view from my room, but i can't complain for the price I paid.

The location is also great. It's just on the south bank of the Thames just along from the houses of Parliament - easy walking distance from the centre of London.

I never ate in the hotel but did have a few cocktails before heading out and the barmen new his stuff.

Overall, I can't rate this hotel highly enough and would definitely want to stay here the next time I am in london.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank tankman84
Dear Glasgow
north east scotland
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We had a suite on the sixth floor with views towards Vauxhall Bridge from our bedroom window. The suite is very comfortable and spacious - the bedroom has a very sleep inducing bed , flar screen TV , lots of wardrobe space plus a safe and all the gowns , slippers and gizits you could ask for. The bathroom is very plush - with lots of mirrors , a walk in power shower - a deep lengthy bath and more soaps and fluffy towels than you could ever use .

The main room is kitted out with crockery for four , microwave , hot plate , dishwasher. And a washer drier. The place is a really comfortable home from home -the sofa will fold out into a sofa bed.

Service is very good - the front desk is very slick . The hotel facilities excellent -the free cocktails were very welcome

When we return to London we will return to the Plaza on the Riverbank.l

Room Tip: Try to get a view over the river
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear north east scotland.
Nice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Not easy to make the good selection about the hotels especially in London, fortunately tripadvisor helps me in this way.
Good location, the apartment was very clean, well appointed, Nice welcome, each time, staff try to do his best. We recommend it for all before and more to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kenhava
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Dear France.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and in the meantime wish you a pleasant weekend and thank you for your comments.
Resident Manager.