“Simple excellence.”

Ranked #222 of 1,067 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Simple excellence.”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

London has few hotels that achieve excellence in a simple, friendly and uncluttered way. And now that the cuisine in Plaza on the River is reaching new heights the package is complete. I've altered my travel attitude so that I can make sure to book far enough ahead to get into this, my favorite "working" hotel in the UK.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear frankjdelaney,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at Plaza on the River Club and Residence.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all of the facilities and most importantly the service you received during your stay with us. It is the service that our great team deliver that really does make the difference.

We are certainly looking forward welcoming you back.

On behalf of the Plaza on the River Team, we would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Front of House Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Returning to the Plaza on the River as I have been doing about quarterly for several years is as close to coming home as I can imagine a hotel to be. Gabriella and her Front of House staff are always welcoming and efficient as is the breakfast team each day.

The accommodation units are self contained and whether a studio or a suite, provide a comfortable environment conducive to relaxation but quite suitable for getting work done as well. The housekeeping staff does a nice job of keeping the rooms neat and clean and the in room kitchenette equipment working well. After staying in several other locations around London, the Plaza on the River has become my regular residence in that fine city!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear Phil S,

Thank you for your review your loyalty toward Plaza on the River & Residence.

I am pleased that you are enjoying your stay with us and we are looking forward welcoming you back in you London-home in the new year.

I hope once we can have you back on pleasure rather than business, when you can try all our other facilities.

Trstenik, Croatia
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Over the years this has become my default hotel when in London and as enough time has elapsed since the previous review, I'm able to leave another: once again this hotel delivers an exceptional guest experience.

It is difficult to come up with new things to say about this place but to save anyone reading my previous reviews, some of the key elements are;

- the rooms are huge. The one bedroom suite with balcony I had was something like 65m2 that is positively massive for any hotel, let alone a central London one. The decor and floor to ceiling window in the lounge make it seem even larger, with a lovely open & airy feel.

- the rooms are very well equipped, including a large flatscreen TV in both the lounge and bedroom (with a very good EPG and interactive features including AVOD), iPod docking station with USB input and DAB, good sized work desk with powerful reading lamp, loads of storage space in the bedroom in the wardrobe and separate chest of drawers, excellent selection of toiletries in the bathroom, large walk-in shower with fixed and hand-held shower heads as well as a separate bath.

- the customer service levels are very high. The hotel is a premium property within the Carlson Rezidor portfolio and all the staff are aware of the profile of their guests. The staff are always professional and diligent, whilst being friendly and welcoming. As is fast becoming the norm across many of the Carlson Rezidor brands, every member of staff you pass will greet you with a sincere Hello and make eye contact. I passed one of the housekeeping supervisors in the corridor who must have recognised me as she greeted me by name and said "it's nice to see you back with us". This level of recognition makes you feel like a valued guest, whose custom is appreciated.

- the whole place always feels relaxing and welcoming. I gather that there was a large (500+ people) function on the evening I was there but the levels of service I experienced were never affected.

I ate dinner in the rather good in-house restaurant Chino Latino, recently reviewed separately on here.

On the downside - as feedback should always be honest and objective - the old branded pens have been replaced by branded pencils, after a brief foray with unbranded pens. The relevance of highlighting this is because you cannot write on the plastic laundry bag or the laminated breakfast menu card with a pencil; for the laundry bag, at best the pencil just slips off the surface and at worst it breaks through the plastic and marks the clothing inside. For the menu card, it was impossible to make any selections using a pencil. Also if you press too hard the point breaks and then you're stuffed without a pencil sharpener. Pencils may be OK for the notepads in the room but nothing else. There may be a sustainability issue, if materials efficiency is a key sustainability issue for the hotel, but one can buy pens that have very good sustainability credentials, in terms of being made from 100% recycled materials. Can we have the old 'thick barrel' branded pens back please?

The former great choice of Voss mineral water in the rooms has been replaced with another brand. From memory, it is a UK brand so better marks for sourcing more local produce but the bottles at 500ml are smaller than the old 800ml bottles. There was a brief phase when the room contained 330ml plastic bottles of water but - thankfully - this was short-lived, hopefully because other guests highlighted that it wasn't a budget hotel chain. For me, bottled water should be in a glass bottle (the late Michael Winner was right - it does taste better) and so this box is ticked, just their size is an issue.

One of the TVs was intermittently recalcitrant, choosing to ignore the instructions from the remote. This may have been something to do with the mode the TV was in, as its clock display was flashing and alternating between 22:22 and 00:44 without any change. I probably could have called maintenance but wasn't that bothered, as it was working for most of the time.

I paid £269 including VAT and the total bill with room service lunch and dinner in Chino Latino was £335. For central London in early December that is very good value. Some of the more tourist hotels in the West End would charge £100 more than than for a room the size of a laptop safe.

Some reviewers have said that Plaza on the River is a bit out of the way which I think is a little unfair; it may be 'south of the river' but it is a stone's throw walk away from the Houses of Parliament and nowhere is really that far in London. If that extra few minutes' cab ride gets you the extra space as well as truly spectacular, iconic view, then it is worth being here.

Excellence not only comes as standard here but is delivered consistently, time after time. Thank you to all the staff for another wonderful stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Propaganda_Machine
Dear Propaganda Machine,

I am happy that you enjoyed yet again one more stay and the delicious food in Chino Latino Restaurant. I am also glad to see your comments about our dedicated staff and their customer service in one of your newest Tripadvisor comments.

I am delighted to read that we are a super hotel and your comments are taken on board. Following up on one of your comments in a previous postings, I would like to kindly inform you that we are offering valet parking very soon again. Please feel free to contact us or visit our website in the next two weeks for more information.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and looking forward welcoming you back in the New Year.

Gabrella Kolber
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I've stayed here an average of four times a year over the past six years and the wait staff in the dining room are notably outstanding. Of particular note are Karolina, Edina, Sara, Valentina, Laetitia, Ula and Indre. They put in extremely long work days from breakfast through lunch, but they always have a smile on their face and are willing to accommodate any request--even at the busiest of times. If the hotel has a recognition program, these staff members should be put at the top of the list.
I just returned from a three week stay and I can say without hesitation that these ladies' smart appearance, upbeat attitude and pleasant demeanor made the trip most pleasant.
Johnie Michael Murphy

Room Tip: I've stayed in about a dozen different apartments. While they are all good, the ones with a view...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mr. Murphy,

Thank you for showing your opinion. I am really proud that you have found top class service in the hotel and liked the high quality of furnishings and facilities, especially the Chino Latino Breakfast and the lovely ladies looking after it.
I wish to say thank you for all your valuable feedback. I am pleased to see that you were satisfied with your overall experiences in our property throughout your stays.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in our hotel in the near year.

Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had a cosy studio with kitchenette. There's a shop just outside the hotel where you can buy everything to make the perfect breakfast. Small handy dishwasher, emptied every day by the staff. ¨Pity there's no separate toilet in the room (it's in the bathroom)

Room Tip: book a room with view on the Thames
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Michel l,

I am delighted to read your positive feedback following your stay at Plaza on the River Club & Residence.

I am so happy to read that the studio apartment was comfortable for you. We have also one and two bedroom apartments with different configurations and views to carter to the different tastes or our guests.
Please feel free to contact us to book one of them in the future contacting our Guest Relations or Reservations Team.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The Plaza on the River is a wonderful Hotel at an amazing Location (Albert Embankment). Our room was the 2 bedroom River view suite with Balcony and had an amazing view of the Thames. Standing on the balcony we could see the Vauxhall bridge, The London Eye, Big ben , Houses of Parliament and the Thames.The only minus if at all of this location was that it is a bit far from Central London , but since there are plenty of cabs (most of the time) and the friendly doormen are always willing to make an extra effort to flag one down for you , this is OK. The Hotel is a 5 minute walk from Vauxhall station and there are quite a few Tescos and Sainsbury's stores located around it (both of which close at 11 pm). The room was fairly large and had two bathrooms attached to the two bedrooms. A large dining table stood in the Hall and there was a smaller one in the open kitchen. A small fridge (minibar) as well as a large fridge and the washing machine made it super easy to get things done, as if you were right at home. An induction stove and microwave were also present to make cooking less of a chore , along with the mandatory tea and coffee maker. The room was loaded with amenities and if we ran out the friendly guest relations were always willing to send us up some more.

Chino Latino has good food but...that was the only restaurant there and became boring after a while. The Breakfast Buffet was extensive but never changed...hence boring after a few days and sickening after 10 days (we stayed 15). The staff at breakfast were friendly and efficient.

We were hoping to get our room a bit early as we arrived at 9 am (our flight arrived at 6.30 am ) however we had to wait till 3 pm for a room but i suppose that was just our luck. Unfortunately we got no complimentary upgrade (unlike several other luckier guests who reviewed the place before us). We were also charged around GBP60 for a late checkout (which I had hoped would not be charged as we had stayed 15 nights , however our request was not heeded).

The Housekeeping was a mixed bag...some days outstanding and some days...so-so. We had a "good night" chocolate (excellent chocolates) placed every night in both rooms as well as complimentary bottled water (1 still and 1 sparkling...300 ml each) , but they did get us more when we asked.

The Bathrooms were quite large and there was plenty of storage space for clothes , bags etc...in the whole suite. There were 3 Flat screen TVs in all...one each in the bedrooms and one in the hall.A pity their inbuilt firmware didn't allow me to run my USB movies off them.

While the rest of the apartment was perfect as far as the aircon went , the Master bedroom surprisingly was not up to the mark. Several complaints later it was rectified but we still felt it was not good enough and too warm and stuffy especially in the middle of the night. The windows were not the opening kind so we couldn't let the fresh air in.The mattress was too soft as were the pillows, however most days we came back late and were too tired to ask for a change so don't know if they would have.

The concierges Bradley, Simon and a couple more were very helpful.

All in all we had a great time and our kids were happy. Definitely would like to stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a river view room if you can afford it and with a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear mannubhai,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us at Plaza on the River Club and Residence. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found that all aspects of your stay met your expectations and highlighted many departments and individuals.
I am sorry about the faulty AC unit, but happy to see that we managed to rectify the issue .

I have passed on your kind words to our team at the hotel who I am sure will appreciate your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.

London
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I cannot stop speaking highly of my experience at this property. I have stayed at the hotel before, always in the suites wing and the experience has always been the same. Service excellent, suite perfect, general experience simply the best I have had at any London hotel. For me the staff make this place as special as it is to me, the location is slightly remote but the experience keeps bringing me back.

• Stayed November 2013
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
It is great to read your positive comments posted on Tripadvisor public website about your recent stay with us. I was happy to learn that you enjoyed our hotel’s great apartments and also satisfied with the service our employees.

We are looking forward welcoming you back jahondl in the ‘suite wing’ for yet again another stay.