“Thames View”

Ranked #223 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Thames View”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

A group of us visited the Plaza on the River for my birthday. We stayed in an apartment on the 11th floor which had amazing views over the River Thames. Keisha at the hotel made all our arrangements and was fantastic, nothing was too much trouble. The room was spacious and well equipped with lovely toiletries, a little kitchen area and three sleeping areas. All rooms had a tv. The staff at the hotel were constantly checking to see if we needed anything during our stay. I had a massage which was arranged so I had it in my room and it was fantastic. We had high tea at the hotel on arrival and again this was great. Lovely hotel, great service, recommended.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear carol_thrav,

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience and appreciate highlighting how proactive our staff are. Keshia indeed a great addition to our Guest Relations Team.

Lovely to hear that you enjoyed the massage as well.

Please feel free to contact myself directly if you decide to return in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Front of House Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We booked an apartment for five people and were almost immediately offered to book an upgrade to river view, which was well worth the money. The apartment was spacious and well kept with all the amenities you could ask for in a five star hotel/residence AND the possibility to cook your own food. Especially the bathrobes were very nice to have! The staff was very friendly, but we didn't interact much as everything worked smoothly :)
Minor quibbles: wifi connection slow at times (especially in the bedrooms), extra bed a bit "lumpy" (you could feel the springs sitting on the bed) and as far as coffee cups went there were only small espresso or giant latte varieties to chose from while medium/regular size would fit the Nespresso machine ...
We checked out the "Fitness suite" which looked well maintained but geared towards cardio exercises but not weight lifting.
I wouldn't hesitate to book this accommodation again!

Room Tip: Book a river view room/apartment!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear NilasT,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a lovely comment on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the small supplement charge for a river view apartment ‘worth’ the money. We are happy to assist you in the future again, when you are planning yet another stay in London.

Please note that we have free weights in the gym, as well as balancing ball next to all the cardio machines.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Plaza on the River Club & Residence.

Oslo
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Very much enjoyed our stay at the hotel this Easter. Spacious one bedroom apartment was perfect for my husband, daughter and myself. Great service from booking the hotel to leaving it. Will absolutely recommend this hotel to families.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear CamillaS,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review.

I am happy that you and your family had enjoyed your stay here with us over Easter.

We had several activities in our hotel, which were quite popular for our Little guests.

I look forward to your return.

Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed two nights at this hotel during my daughter's spring break. This hotel is absolutely one of the best hotels I have ever stayed. Fantastic lake view and very clean and well equipped apartment-type hotel. A small grocery store just next to the hotel is a plus as the hotel room has a kitchen. It is also close to bus #3 heading to the center of London. Hotel staffs were very professional and helpful. Especially, I should mention a receptionist, Gabriella's help. I had booked a lake-view room two months prior to our family trip to London, but when I checked in, I was told that my room was the other side of lake view, not toward Big Ben and London eye that I booked the room for. A long story short. However, fortunately, Gabriella sorted this out and arranged a perfect room for my family a few hours later. My daughter and wife really liked the room, and we could enjoy the very nice lake view, which we could've lost, next two days. It was our first family trip to London, and staying at this hotel made our experience in London even better.

Room Tip: If you book a lake-view room from a hotel booking site like hotels.com, check if you really get a la...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear mdadPA,

What fantastic feedback and thank you!

It is always gratifying to read and hear these comments as this is what we strive for here at Plaza on the River Club and Residence, great customer satisfaction.

As mentioned to you we have lovely river view rooms and only a handful is overlooking towards Houses or Parliament. I am glad that I managed to contribute and assist for your family to have an excellent holiday.

Please feel free to contact us before your next visit here with us to ensure your prefer room type is booked or alternatively visit our website and look for One bedroom apartment with River view & balcony.

Sincerely and in your service,

Australian Irish in Ghent for Some Time
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Our stay here was quite the surprise - we were expecting a standard hotel room at the Park Plaza but were upgraded to the Club and Residence as (I think) I had mentioned it was our anniversary. We were given champagne whilst checking in, which is as good as it gets really. The apartment was contemporary and spacious and were great to be in - almost too much for one night! Unfortunately our view didn't look outside, it looked into what I think is an interior atrium, which was a shame, so if you're booking see if a view is available. Any problems were solved quickly - a missing minibar price list and a phone left in the room after check out. Nespresso machine was fantastic, though we used the pods up so quickly! The staff are lovely and the location is great - don't bother with bus or tube, just hop on the hire bikes opposite and see some sights.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear OisinS,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us as your observations are of paramount importance of our hotel.

I am happy to see that we managed to surprise you with the upgrade, and what a perfect way is this to celebrate your annivcersary.

I trust that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future when perhaps we can meet personally.

Kindest Regards,

sydney
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed in a one bed apartment, with fold out sofa for the third person in our group. We had a balcony, with views over the houses of parliament and Big Ben. The view was absolutely amazing, and we couldnt stop looking out the window. The apartment was very comfortable, and the bathroom and supplied products were great. Breakfast was also really nice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear ladybugsSydney,

Thank you very much for your comment about your recent stay at Plaza on the River.

The balcony suits indeed have a fantastic view towards Houses of Parliament, London Eye.

It is great to hear that your managed to reserve one of them, as it is really popular room category.

Thank you very much your compliments across many departments. I have shared your comments with them as a compliment of their hard work.

We are looking forward welcoming you back.

Trstenik, Croatia
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I've stayed here during the week for the past few weeks whilst on business. As my previous reviews indicate, I stay here relatively frequently - quite simply because it delivers an exceptional guest experience over and over again.

I find myself running out of new things to say about this place that I haven't written previously and it's almost at the point now where I am actively looking to find fault with any aspect of my stay, so that I can make some new comment. It really is hard because the overall quality of the rooms, the staff and the customer service is near flawless.

Throughout the most recent stays, the rooms have been immaculately presented. The suites are positively huge for any property, let alone a London hotel. The new in-room entertainment system that runs on the large LCD TVs in both living room and bedroom is definitely an improvement on the old system; I've highlighted before the rather good new electronic programme guide but this time discovered the internet radio function: there is a good selection of internet radio stations accessible from the system, including a superb 80s station that played mostly non-mainstream hits (not the usual 'classics' that you hear on Absolute80s) and had me thinking 'wow, I haven't heard this in literally decades' on several occasions.

The weather was pleasant and that allowed me to enjoy the balcony and the breahtaking view across the centre of London, from Battersea Power Station to the London Eye. Sitting out on the balcony in the morning, drinking an espresso from the Nespresso machine, is surely one of life's little pleasures.

I ate in Chinos on each night and have reviewed it separately. Whilst down in the restaurant, the turndown service came; not only the lovely little touch of the chocolates on the pillow but also the additional bottle of water placed on the bedside table with a glass, as well as the used hand towel being changed, the shower door being opened for the following morning and the bathmat placed on the floor in front of it.

It is also great to see that the waste bins now have an insert to accommodate recyclable material. I've been mentioning this in feedback and reviews for a while (Park Plaza County Hall have had them for a couple of years) and so I was very pleased to see that these have now arrived at Plaza on the River; well done to whoever organised this. A little note to guests drawing their attention to this rather useful feature would be an idea - it also shows off a sustainability credential.

On the downside;
- there are still pencils and not pens with the note pads. In one room, the lead was broken so the pencil was useless full stop (or no full stop without any lead!). However, even with a sharp point, you cannot write on the plastic laundry bags or laminated paper in-room breakfast menus. There used to be pens and I still can't work out why they have been replaced with pencils.
- the towels are fantastic (large and absorbent) but they are becoming somewhat bobbly (technical term); this being where tiny bits of the towel come off when you are drying yourself. With a couple of days' stubble, this means you end up with bits of towel stuck in your stubble which is frustrating as you have to pick them out if you don't want to look like Santa. This may well be down to the external company that launders them. I would be checking their quality control. As a point of comparison, talk to the company that launders the towels for Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow (another Carlson Rezidor estate property) as their towels are absolutely fantastic; robust and strong without any bobby bits.
- the new paid-for wifi is still not ideal. It used to be complimentary but is now a paid for service, apart from a free 256Kbps service. Having previously registered for it, I logged in during one stay but the UI wouldn't accept multiple logins from different devices. I had to ask guest services for their help and the advice I received wasn't that helpful: firstly, "bring your laptop down to reception" isn't going to fix the problem and secondly, Concierge level membership of the Carlson Rezidor loyalty scheme does offer complimentary internet access as one of its tier benefits. Being told to the contrary is disappointing.
The issue sorted itself but I do still object to having to pay for anything other than 256Kbps in what is a luxury property. If budget and value chains can provide free hi-speed internet, then a premium brand's flagship property should be able to do the same. Even Radisson Blu Polar on Svalbard (the Northernmost hotel in the world - reviewed previously) near the North Pole offers free hi-speed internet, in their case at more than 100Mbps. Granted they are borrowing some pretty significant bandwidth from the NASA earth station nearby but the centre of London is hardly remote.
- there wasn't a bottle opener in the kitchen drawer on one occasion.

To be fair, the above are an aggregation of the recent stays and in total, they hardly represent a loss of quality. However, feedback should be objective and include both the good and bad.

I notice that some other reviewers have mentioned the building work either side of the property. The good news is that both these buildings have now been demolished to ground/near ground level. In the short-term this has had the effect of making the side view rooms much lighter and extended their views. There was some groundwork going on during the afternoon but the noise wasn't obtrusive, certainly no more than the railway line behind. I don't think it's fair to criticise the hotel for the construction work, partly because it's something over which they have no control and partly because this is central London. It is very difficult to go anywhere in central London where there isn't building work underway close by. To me, it adds to the atmosphere and feeling of the city constantly reinventing itself. If you want silence and birdsong, go stay in the the country.

All the staff I met were first class, as always. I am convinced that the management training for Plaza on the River aims higher than usual Park Plaza standards, including PP Riverbank that adjoins it. The staff in Plaza on the River always seem to have an edge, in terms of understanding the profile of their guests and always being friendly yet professional, welcoming without being obsequious. If Gabriella the front of house manager is reading this; you do a very good job and the results are noticeable.

As I have written previously, I don't even think about looking for a different hotel when staying in central London, as I know that Plaza on the River will provide a high quality, reliable and luxurious stay, on a consistent basis. I always leave feeling relaxed and looking forward to my next stay.

As the title suggests, I would go so far as to say that it is superlative.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Propaganda_Machine
Dear Propaganca_Machine,

Thank you for always choosing Plaza on the River Club and Residence for your business visits to London. It is a great honour to read that we were able to affirm the unparalleled service standard you experienced before.

It is always a pleasure to read that you are satisfied with the staff, the room and the small or bigger improvements are recognized and welcomed.

Honest, detailed and constructive feedbacks help us to bring our business to the right directions as well as providing useful information for our future guests.

Having re-read some of your previous comments on Tripadvisor, I am happy to inform you that we have changed our breakfast cards, just awaiting for the delivery. The new cards are easier to write on.

We are also proud to achieve a fantastic result last year, when Park Plaza Riverbank Hotel and Plaza on the River Club and Residence were awarded Gold award by the Green Tourism Business Scheme. The two-way bins are a great example to sow our passionate about sustainable environment.

We are working very hard to achieve fantastic results and feedback, and our passion toward hospitality and looking after guests, meet their expectations are one of the main part of it

I am looking forward welcoming you back soon.