“Cosidering I dont enjoy ballet”

English National Ballet Nutcracker
Ranked #399 of 1,815 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 13 July 2014

considering I don't enjoy dance or ballet this was amazing. I went on a school trip, and I have to say it was mesmerising. the atmosphere was fabulous. the souvenirs are a little pricy along with refreshments so I advise taking your own! the dancers were fabulous, obviously they have trained for most of their life. ticket prices are very fair, I think I paid £10 for mine as you get a group discount. the sound quality is great and it is spacious. only thing I will say I that the chair are not the most comfortable.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"theatre"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My wife, daughter and I went to see the Nutcracker at the English National Opera for Christmas. We have been a number of times in previous years. The music, ambiance and performance make this a must see event each Christmas in London. This year we all felt it was the best yet. We had a fantastic time. ENO well done!

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We have tried for years to get our daughters (ages 5 and 8) to sit through video performances of the Nutcracker but to no avail....maybe they knew something I didn't understand. To make our trip to London during the holidays even more special, we purchased tickets for the December 20th matinee performance when they first became available (I believe on May 1st).

We got to the London Coliseum early and had a few minutes to chat with the ushers, all of which were such fine people, who were kind enough to share some fact about the performance and the theatre itself. It was obvious that they loved what they did and for whom they did it for. We also found out that the lead dancer that day preferred to perform the matinees because of there would be more children present. The London Coliseum is a wonderfully old and well maintained building which just added to the timelessness of the performance we were just about to witness.

I consider myself something of a culture vulture but had never been to live performance of the Nutcracker. So when I saw "everything" I was amazed. In the video productions, they are invariably edited to focus only on the leads. During this live performance I can see how everyone on stage had a role in contributing to the story. For example, It sounds trivial but during the opening party scene everyone on stage was doing something or interacting with another character. I actually had to ask myself "where is Clara" because she wasn't the exclusive focus of the scene, it was a party and Clara was happily playing as part of the general scene...way too democratic maybe but I loved it, after all we will see plenty of Clara later...kudos to the balanced direction.

Coming back to my opening statement, seeing the real thing kept my girls enraptured for the whole performance. Maybe they knew something I didn't.

1  Thank LV-from-NOVA
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The quality of the dancing was excellent and the setting at the Coliseum was superb. Lovely, ballet unfettered by too much costuming and sets.