“Irresponsible service, poor room-making” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Black Lion

The Black Lion
Ranked #175 of 567 London B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Irresponsible service, poor room-making”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed for 4 nights; the room-making quality was incredibly bad; sheets with stains, carpets were dirty, and they always forgot something such as changing towels / supplying shampoos or soaps.
We are sure they never changed the bedding linens during our stay.

However, the pub downstairs is nice and the location is convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank leonardsmithers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed here a number of times this Summer while I worked in West Hampstead; I wasn't looking for anything special, just a place to stay that was clean and convenient.

I stayed in a variety of different rooms. They were all clean enough, some had ensuite and others had shared bathrooms which wasn't an issue. The rooms differed vastly in size, I stayed in one very small room which was fine, others were large, one had a fridge and kitchen table with chairs, and a nice large bathroom. I didn't have any issues with cleanliness, the sheets were all clean and I slept well in all of the rooms. The staff were friendly and helpful.

In one of the rooms the television didn't work, which was annoying, it was all wired correctly but just wouldn't turn on, but I didn't ask for any help to get it working to I can't really complain.

I did have one experience which I found quite upsetting; I had 3 nights booked in a room, and when I returned from work in the evening for my 3rd and last night there I walked into my room to find other people staying in it, who insisted it was their room. I had left all of my things in there, so I was quite confused and shaken. Upon leaving the room I noticed a note on the door, basically because I had been staying in a 3 person room (I had made it clear I was 1 person but this was just the room I had been given) and 3 people had turned up that day wanting a room, so they packed up all my stuff into my suitcase (!) clothes, toiletries and all, and moved me to the 1 person room. They said they hadn't been able to get hold of me, and I did have some missed calls from a number I did not recognise but I hadn't been able to answer while at work. In my opinion, if this situation arises in a hotel or b&b I think it is inappropriate to ask someone to move rooms but perhaps forgivable, I think it is incredibly inappropriate, rude and a huge invasion of privacy to pack up someones things for them when they aren't present and move them out of their room while they are away. The staff were apologetic, but I was still very upset at the time.

That said, as a place to stay it is not that bad, I have stayed there since the incident. It's a cheap, bearable place to stay, I did have that one horrible experience but I don't feel I can mark it too low based on the fact I would stay again if I was working in the area.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
BANBURY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

This is not a hotel it is a B & B over a pub! If it was a hotel you would be paying a lot more.
Room was a good size, fairly basic but clean. There was a tiny en-suite. There is a little kettle in the room and tea and coffee. We had a twin room on the second floor. We stayed on a Saturday night and were not disturbed by any noise. Kilburn High Road was busy but we felt perfectly safe walking back from the tube late at night. Entrance to the B & B is via a side entrance with a security code and then a key to your room. The pub down stairs is really beautiful.
Breakfast was served in the bar, it was really good, cereals, toast, pastries, juice teas and coffees and a choice of cooked breakfast if you ordered it. I thought the breakfast was better than in a lot of more expensive hotels where it is self service and has been sitting around for hours so is barely warm. Ours was freshly cooked for us.
Overall I would say good value for London. Good location. Good breakfast and clean but basic room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Buzzingabout
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

The customer service was non existent, room was bare, there was hair in the shower and toilet wasn't flushed. there was so much noise from the pub below, and the streets were really unsafe. I asked them to help me and the staff were rude and snotty. The bed had yellow stains on the sheets and the air was musty.
Checked in another hotel that night and they didn't even let me change my booking. Don't waste your money!

Room Tip: Do not choose any rooms here.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank jules v

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Given unmade room at check in asked for it to be made up when we went into town returned at 10.30 pm to find room still unmade( someone had been in to pull up the sheets on the bed) had to make real fuss in pub downstairs to get anyone to help. Room tiny, noisy, cramped, smelly bathroom floor tiles which moved when you walked on them, breakfast appalling. Stayed here to be close to family , but never again, simply the worst place I have ever stayed could not get out of there quick enough. Quite sad that no one cares about this genuinely beautiful old London pub.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Porkieyorkie
Pisa, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Cleaned room, very big space and a good toilet. The Pub/restaurant downstairs is fantastic! good kitchen and good beer. It is near the killburn underground station. nearest there is also the overground station. The killburn area is very preatty, there's a park behind the hotel too.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Giskard_Rules
Hampton, near London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Clean room with comfortable bed. Somewhat tatty furniture in ours (room 8) but acceptable. No lift, so 2 flights of stairs a bit of drag. Friendly staff; the one on reception volunteered to carry up our suitcase. We were in the front but good double glazing adequately suppressed noise from the very busy main road. Main complaints about room were the lack of any hooks, especially in the shower room (although there was a generous built-in wardrobe with lots of hangers) and the mysterious absence of a plug in the washbasin -- even the attachment was missing! No soap was provided, but we are always prepared for this. The heating was just right, although the weather was quite mild for Christmas (which is when we were staying so we could share it with family nearby). Breakfast is at a cafe across the road and was quite satisfactory with plenty of choice.

Room Tip: Probably best to have one at the back if available and on the first floor if stairs are a challenge.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple