“Lunch experience was not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Black Lion

The Black Lion
Ranked #184 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Watford, United Kingdom
“Lunch experience was not great”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This pub is undoubtably the grandest room ever , lovely high ceilings and spacious comfortable seating. I cannot comment on the b&b side of things.
Food is very over priced , small menu and small portions . What upset me most was , when the female bar staff , asked me to move my buggy as she was passing through with hot food , well im all for health and safety, but the very large room , with no shortage of space has only 5 other adults in , and they were not ordering food, and did not eat in all the time I was there. I feel she was just picking on us , and there is no need to make a fuss on a very quiet afternoon.
I would have had another glass of wine after lunch only for feeling un welcome.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Joanne11297

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I booked for me and 3 friends to stay here for the NFL at Wembley. I booked it in February, a good 8 months in advance to make sure I would get the room. I phoned the day before we were due to stay and they had the booking but only booked it as a double room despite the fact my reservation CLEARLY states 4 adults, family room. They were not interested in sorting the problem at all and basically told me it was tough luck. Absolute disgrace of a hotel, disgrace of customer service and disgrace of a booking system.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
bm202, Administrator at The Black Lion, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
I am sorry you feel your reservation was not dealt with in a swift manner, However the error with your booking was down to a computer glitch, as your booking was made online and all online bookings are allocated to rooms according to the information guest give, except on this occasion the booking system allocated you into an inappropriate room. When you phoned the day before your booking and this error was bought to my attention personal attention, we did everything possible to rectify the situation. At no point as far as I am aware did anyone say they were not interested in sorting out the problem. I know as a customer it is not possible to see the work being done at the other end of the phone to sort out problems, however every solution possible was being sort in order to resolve the issue. A refund was made to one of your friends who had cancelled one of the guest due to stay, at which point made things a lot easier for us as we did not have to move beds around as much as we would have had to.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

wantage
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I have just had a 4 night stay there and really liked it. As a woman on my own i felt safe. the room was very large, more like an apartment and was lovely and warm and clean. At night there is the hum of traffic which im used to and quite liked. I found the staff very helpful and friendly and i would definately stay there again. Its a nice down to earth place with the added bonus of being an historical building. i was pleasantly surprised to find i had a huge victorain range in my room, a beautiful antique original feature.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank ggm12345
New Malden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stayed here alone whilst working in London, in a single person double room for 3 nights, in May this year. After seeing very mixed reviews I was a little wary, however the room was really nice and most importantly - clean! Huge bed, huge wardrobe and drawers, good TV & tea and coffee making facilities. The ensuite was small but enough room for me. Shower was great and there was soap! Walking to and from the tube felt very safe. The pub downstairs was lovely. Great food and I loved the decor.
The only downside for me was the bathroom was a bit smelly! However I kept the door shut when sitting in the room and I was only there late evenings.
Overall I had a great stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed for 4 nights; the room-making quality was incredibly bad; sheets with stains, carpets were dirty, and they always forgot something such as changing towels / supplying shampoos or soaps.
We are sure they never changed the bedding linens during our stay.

However, the pub downstairs is nice and the location is convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank leonardsmithers
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed here a number of times this Summer while I worked in West Hampstead; I wasn't looking for anything special, just a place to stay that was clean and convenient.

I stayed in a variety of different rooms. They were all clean enough, some had ensuite and others had shared bathrooms which wasn't an issue. The rooms differed vastly in size, I stayed in one very small room which was fine, others were large, one had a fridge and kitchen table with chairs, and a nice large bathroom. I didn't have any issues with cleanliness, the sheets were all clean and I slept well in all of the rooms. The staff were friendly and helpful.

In one of the rooms the television didn't work, which was annoying, it was all wired correctly but just wouldn't turn on, but I didn't ask for any help to get it working to I can't really complain.

I did have one experience which I found quite upsetting; I had 3 nights booked in a room, and when I returned from work in the evening for my 3rd and last night there I walked into my room to find other people staying in it, who insisted it was their room. I had left all of my things in there, so I was quite confused and shaken. Upon leaving the room I noticed a note on the door, basically because I had been staying in a 3 person room (I had made it clear I was 1 person but this was just the room I had been given) and 3 people had turned up that day wanting a room, so they packed up all my stuff into my suitcase (!) clothes, toiletries and all, and moved me to the 1 person room. They said they hadn't been able to get hold of me, and I did have some missed calls from a number I did not recognise but I hadn't been able to answer while at work. In my opinion, if this situation arises in a hotel or b&b I think it is inappropriate to ask someone to move rooms but perhaps forgivable, I think it is incredibly inappropriate, rude and a huge invasion of privacy to pack up someones things for them when they aren't present and move them out of their room while they are away. The staff were apologetic, but I was still very upset at the time.

That said, as a place to stay it is not that bad, I have stayed there since the incident. It's a cheap, bearable place to stay, I did have that one horrible experience but I don't feel I can mark it too low based on the fact I would stay again if I was working in the area.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
BANBURY
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This is not a hotel it is a B & B over a pub! If it was a hotel you would be paying a lot more.
Room was a good size, fairly basic but clean. There was a tiny en-suite. There is a little kettle in the room and tea and coffee. We had a twin room on the second floor. We stayed on a Saturday night and were not disturbed by any noise. Kilburn High Road was busy but we felt perfectly safe walking back from the tube late at night. Entrance to the B & B is via a side entrance with a security code and then a key to your room. The pub down stairs is really beautiful.
Breakfast was served in the bar, it was really good, cereals, toast, pastries, juice teas and coffees and a choice of cooked breakfast if you ordered it. I thought the breakfast was better than in a lot of more expensive hotels where it is self service and has been sitting around for hours so is barely warm. Ours was freshly cooked for us.
Overall I would say good value for London. Good location. Good breakfast and clean but basic room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends