“An average B&B”

Ranked #182 of 558 London B&B and Inns
Donegal, Ireland
“An average B&B”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. We paid for an executive room and I have to say that it was one of the biggest that I have stayed in. The bathroom was large with a good size shower. The down side was that it was in the front, over looking Kilburn High Road. So it was very noisy.
The breakfast, which was included in the price, was continental and was OK.
A well priced option if you are looking for an average B&B.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My 19 year old and I stayed for 2 nights and had a good experience. Room was bigger than most that you find in London. Close to tube. Restaurant and pub on site. Several pubs nearby (highly recommend looking for Irish pub within walking distance!). The day we left, however, was apparently a sporting/game day and things were becoming boisterous by the time we checked out. If you are looking for a quiet stay, just check the sporting events first. The room was tidy and service was great at the pub downstairs. Breakfast was so-so.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed for one night in April because the location was convenient. The room was adequate but I couldn't use the shower in the morning because the control was stuck on very hot. Breafast was meagre, cereal and toast and no alternative to dairy milk, but my complaint is about not being able to have a shower.
Over the next few weeks I emailed twice and phoned 3 times before the manager eventually sent me a curt email which did not address my complaint properly nor explain why he waited 3 weeks to reply. I have since asked him for the name of his manager but he has ignored this request.
The staff I spoke to on the phone were polite and apologetic but this manager seems to have a complete lack of regard for customers and no understanding about customer services

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013

It was a last-ditch effort, but I found it after a work function ran late. It was nice, cosy, and the rooms were clean. Breakfast was lovely, coffee was hot and the staff were bleary-eyed by friendly (I keep some strange hours). Close to public transport, just be sure to arrive during business hours if you want help with your bags.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed here for a weekend break. Not my choice, a friend made the booking.
It was clean, my room was huge, the ensuite very very tiny. What on earth possessed the owner of the place at the time to put such a tiny shower room in a room that was so huge!! Felt safe walking from the tube late at night. The pub has a great atmosphere. The breakfast was continental or pay a small supplement for cooked English breakfast. The. Cooked breakfast was good and so was the continental although don't expect to get exactly what it says on the menu.
So, when I say you get what you pay for. That is true. This place is a clean room for the night with reasonably easy access to centre of London. The reason I put 'but'......... Is quite simply because with just a little extra effort and a few changes to the service and furnishings which would not cost much this could be a really excellent bed and breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shelley52
Mancester
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Me and my Husband stayed at The Black Lion last week for a couple of nights. Considering the area is not the nicest we were plesantly suprised when we arrived. We were greeted by a friendly and really polite staff. Room was clean and tidy, definately good value for money.
After we checked in, we went to their restaurant for diner (as we were offered guest discount).
Food was exellent and service professional.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anne l
Yorkshire
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Overall, I would say the Black Lion is good value for the price. If you're on a budget, I'd definitely recommend. The room was basic, but clean. (The shower room was tiny, but again, for the price I paid you'd have to be mad to complain about stuff like that!) The bed was very comfortable and the pub below is fantastic. It was freezing outside, but the heating was available all night and ended up having to turn the radiator off. (Nice to have the option in January though!) I was in a twin room at the side of the building, so I didn't get any noise from traffic on the main road. But from about 6am the noise from the main door banging woke me up about every 20 mins or so. (I would have rated this 4/5 if it wasn't for that). Breakfast was pretty good, although it was possibly the worst cup of coffee I've ever had! Fantastic price though. Would definitely stay there again. Might try a different room away from the main door.

Room Tip: The ensuite twin room at the side of the building gets a lot of noise from the main door.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business