“Opened a whole new chapter in my life”
Review of Taste Inn - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Taste Inn
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Opened a whole new chapter in my life”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Finding this place to eat in was one of the most exciting experiences I have had with food.
My friends and I ate there regularly for a few years (unfortunately moved away now). Stick with the sichuan and dong bei dishes. The soups are amazing, battered pork great, fish-flavour aubergine brilliant, mapo tofu a must, cucumber with garlic and chilli a classic, there's loads more but you'll have to go and work your way through the menu. The staff are helpful and friendly, if your not sure what you are getting into then they will happily make recommendations and accommodate tastes and fears. Take away is fine but the food is so fresh and good at the restaurant that the drop in quality from transporting it is a shame. This place really sparked my interest in china in a way that no mainstream portrayal ever did. I subsequently moved there for 6months and regularly visit. Finding a place like this is one of the best things about a city like London. hope you enjoy it

• Visited August 2014

London
“I LOVE THIS PLACE”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The Taste Inn is in a place that otherwise has very little that I would want to eat. I have been there many many times and the lovely staff will adapt and invent for you if the menu is daunting or just plain odd to good old English tastes. I am obsessed with the amazing soups, the wonderful fried green beans and almost everything they make for me. Its a bit makeshift and sometimes muddled. ... but the food is always fresh and is yet to really disappoint me.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Sarah P
“Desperately wanted it to be better...”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This place has an interesting looking menu, with some of the Sichuan classics (twice cooked pork) and some Xinjiang-looking cumin dishes in amongst the Cantonese crowd-pleasers. Indeed, the sweet and sour pork and chilli shredded beef are quite hard to find in between the stir friend ox tripe with green peppers and pigs trotters in soy sauce.

I only had one and a half dishes (delivered). And the Chinese dumplings with pork and Chinese leaves were pretty good, and remarkably arrived as if they were straight out of the steamer. But the twice cooked pork had the air of a run-of-the-mill takeaway cooking a more interesting menu.

One and half dishes are not enough to judge a restaurant, and I'll certainly give them another go. But I don't hold out much hope. If this is the kind of stuff you're after, go to Sichuan Folk near Brick Lane. Or if you want to stay south, go to Silk Road in Camberwell.

• Visited July 2014