“If you get what you pay for, this place should be much cheaper.”
Review of Beaconsfield Hotel

Beaconsfield Hotel
Ranked #1,008 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Richmond
“If you get what you pay for, this place should be much cheaper.”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I used to live in the UK, but my wife had never been before, so we traveled there to see friends and have her check out the traditional first-time-to-England stuff like Big Ben, etc. I really wanted her to like it so that we could come back again and again, as it's one of my favorite places in the world. We are backpackers, and travel cheaply - we do not have high expectations at all. I have to say that I was appalled at this accomodation. It's possible that our room was unfortunately one of the worst, but the bed squeaked horribly and was very old. It did not help us to feel rested for the long days of walking around the city. The television was ancient, tiny, and non-functional anyway. The carpet was filthy, the in-room sink nasty, and the dishes for tea and cereal were so gross that we didn't feel it would be sanitary to eat from them. So much for saving money each morning on food. The bathroom on our floor does not appear in any pictures anywhere online, which makes me wish I had taken some so I could post them. I have stayed in lots of hostels in lots of countries, and I have to say that was the. Most. Disgusting. Bathroom. Ever. I have had cleaner toilets on the desert road between Alexandria and Cairo. Seriously.

We didn't mind the fire escape entrance or the pub downstairs (we quite liked the pub, actually. Watched a bunch of football and got drunk enough to forget where we'd have to pee and sleep later), and the junction location was okay for us - we enjoyed the walk to the tube each morning, and having the shopping center across the street from the pub was helpful. We like the hostel experience and being outside of the city center, and I can understand the older amenities and mismatched furniture - no problem. But I cannot accept the lack of basic sanitation, the moldy sink, unclean dishes, and a shower that is truly one of the worst travel experiences of my life.

Choose another hostel and keep from getting sick - or just really grossed out.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mundaetraversa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I was not terribly familiar with London when booking this hotel, but did so because it seemed reasonably priced and fairly close in. It ended up being neither and was filthy to boot.

Their claim that they are convenient to the city center is misleading, it is at least 45 min to the center by bus and underground. When I arrived at the pub where you check in, the woman behind the bar demanded full payment up front, which I politely declined before seeing the room. They reluctantly agreed to show it to me first and I was led up 4 flights to my non-smoking "luxury" en suite which had not been hoovered, was covered in animal hair, had a stopped-up sink full of grey water and reeked of cigarettes. Given the substandard conditions, I explained that I could not stay there and they said that was fine, but still demanded payment for the 4 nights I had booked. After much discussion, the employee offered to only charge me for one night and I reluctantly agreed since they already had my card info from the booking site. I stayed in the filthy room that night and left as quickly as possible the next morning, hoping to put the experience behind me, which I did until several days later when I discovered that they had gone ahead and charged me for 4 nights anyway! Numerous phone calls and emails with the owner since then have gone nowhere, he flatly refuses to refund any money.

The moral of the story is: do not stay here! That is, unless you enjoy rude service, being surrounded by filth and literally getting ripped off.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and book elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank M M

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Blackpool, England
Reviewed 9 October 2011

After checking into and straight back out of a terrible hotel in Finsbury Park we were stuck in London without a room - we wanted to stay in this area as it was within walking distance of the Emirates stadium for the Arsenal match. We had a look at 4 or 5 hotels in Finsbury Park and they were all terrible! Finaly found the Beaconsfield and it was just what we were after - budget rooms which were clean and had an ensuite. The gent at the bar was helpful and friendly and the only problem we had was parking - it is free after 6pm until 8 in the morning - outside these times u need to buy a pass which is 7.50 for 2 hours!!
Bed was comfortable and the cereal milk tea coffee and juice was a nice touch. Quiet room as well and there is a shopping centre and 24hr McDonalds over the road as well.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My plane was due to arrive in London after the 11:00PM check in closing time.
When I called to ask if that constituted a problem, the staff tricked me into booking assuring they would have left the keys at the 24hour shop next door. After booking - and paying - I called again FOUR DAYS LATER to confirm about the keys. I was told that was no longer an option, that there was no way to check in after 11:00PM, and that if I still intended to sleep at the Beaconsfield that night, my only option would be "changing the flight".

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Rachel187791
England
Reviewed 4 June 2011

As with any hotel you pay a cheap price you shouldn't expect 5*

We had a 'Luxury' room which is a room with your own en suite. Everything was clean and tidy, bed was comfortable and toliet/shower facilities were excellent!

Breakfast was a bit random, just ceral and milk in your room fridge, but at least you get breakfast (nowhere does it state full English)

I liked it for a nights stay and the pub is really good downstairs. Late night access is easy just at the side of the hotel and up the metal (fire escape) stairs to the first floor then open the door with the key provided :)

Room Tip: Pay for 'Luxury' rooms so no sharing loos
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Robert C
Wales
Reviewed 12 January 2011

My fiancee farther and grandad and I stayed at this hotel as we were going to watch the PDC Darts Champonship. The room we had was a triple room up on the top floor which has been referbished, the room was modern and beds were comfortable.
The bathroom was also modern and very clean, we had hot water every day and there was three of us showering everyday, the shower was very powerfull. Yes the rooms are situated on top of a pub but you dont hear nothing what so ever as the pub is not a lively pub and doesnt stay open untill all hours. Couldnt ask for more for the price we payed £140 for a triple room for 2 nights, what more can you ask for.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank nathndcharl
dublin, ireland
Reviewed 8 September 2010

i stayed for two nights in Beaconsfield hotel. On arrival room was not ready as cleaner was late doing rooms so went for a coffee ,eventually checked into my room at 3 pm. I woke the first morning and imagine my surprise when i discovered i could not have a shower as there was not hot water !! i complained to the barman and said he would look into it. i assumed the problem would be dealt with so you can imagine my surprise when i found there was no hot water again the next morning !! At no point was an explanation or apology given for the fact there was no hot water.the room was ok , the bathroom could do with a good clean.the accomodation is above a pub and you have to climb down a fire escape stairs to get out and in at night.would not recommend this accomodation to anyone !

Stayed August 2010, travelled solo