“Horrendous” 1 of 5 bubbles

Beaconsfield Hotel
Ranked #1,010 of 1,086 Hotels in London
“Horrendous”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have just returned from a weekend staying here for a family wedding (not at this hotel!!). We had originally booked the Beaconsfield apartments in January. We arrived at the Beaconsfield Hotel to pick the keys up and to be told by a very unhelpful and arrogant woman (the receptionist) that she had cancelled our booking because we had to pay via credit card and not debit card - no one ever told us this (I also showed her our booking confirmation)!!! When I advised her that good customer service would dictate that you should inform someone of this, she went off in a huff for around 30 minutes, leaving us stood there with our four children wondering whether we would have a bed that night or not!!! Booking. com have confirmed today that the booking hadn't been cancelled at all!!!
The excuse for a receptionist insisted the problem was booking.com and after speaking to them today (after we had an email to say we hadn't arrived for our booking and was going to be charged!!) it appears that the correct processes hadn't been followed....
We ended up with two rooms at the 'hotel', one down a corridor we had to leave our children in and one right next to the alarm box (which went off twice the first night for over 30 mins at a time). The rooms were disgusting, our sheets had blood on and clearly weren't clean. 'Breakfast' is two boxes of cereal, long life milk and two cartons of capri sun!!!!
The noise from the pub was far too loud and resulted in two sleepless nights and with a wedding to go to - not ideal!!!
We had no self catering facilities, therefore the weekend was more expensive and something we had been looking forward to all year was ruined by this hotel's incompetency's.
I would advise anyone to stay away from here - especially if travelling with children.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Lyndsey E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Wirral, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was the worst place I've ever stayed in! Half of it was a building site. In the morning there was no running water in any of the hotel rooms. There were no staff. We rang the 'emergency' numbers on the room information sheet, neither were answered. Tried to contact the hotel later in the day, nobody knew when the manager would be available. I was given an email address by one member of staff, but that was not replied to. Booking.com tried contacting them, but had no joy either. The place is shocking AVOID at all costs!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank John A

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

My father and I did not enjoy our stay here. We were given a room with a double bed and a single bed with quite a bit of space which we were happy with, I was told over the phone in advance that this was one of the hosts "favorite rooms", so when we were then moved into a complete down grade because our first room was a mistake, I found this a bit strange. The place was very hot with no air-con and the windows barely opened. Under staffed. Bathrooms tiny, toilet and shower almost formed as one. Would not return, especially for the price we paid. Would rather stay in a hostel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Phoebe S
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Other reviewers have been very negative about this place but it really isn't as bad as some people have implied. It's a pub, for heaven's sake, not a five star hotel. It doesn't claim to be anything special and the price they charge reflects that. Frankly I've paid more at a seaside boarding house in the North. Yes, the room was small. Yes the en-suite was tiny. But they were both bigger than a room I had in New York a few years ago.
This is London. If you expect luxury, expect to pay a luxury price. If you pay this kind of budget price, don't expect the earth.
The external stair entrance was different, true, but it wasn't difficult to climb. In fact I found it easier than the carpeted stairs leading up from the bar. (And I have some mobility problems)
Don't go with high expectations. Be realistic. and you'll find this is a very convenient place to lay your head while you spend a weekend in the Smoke.
And never mind the breakfast (yes - it's awful). Go three doors up the road to Rakkas and have the traditional breakfast there. You can afford it with the money you've saved on the room rate.

Room Tip: Beware. Not all the rooms have en-suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MorningAJ
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

The Owners are opportunistic, money grabbers, I booked a 2 night stay, 4 weeks before travelling and then a hospital appointment meant I wanted to cancel. They had a 'no refund policy' (understandable if booking and cancelling within a few days but 4 weeks come on). They strung me and Late Rooms along for the 4 weeks , even requiring a copy of the hospital appointment letter. After stalling and prevaricating they then refused to cancel..I went for just 1 night (no mattress covers -take your own pillow)

As for the place it merits its own category one up from a park bench...

Room Tip: Don't go there..
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank nellyonthewing
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

After reading some of these reviews I was a bit sceptical about my stay but I guess we were just lucky, apart from the many stairs to climb our room was lovely, fair sized bathroom, chocolates on the pillow and the towells in the shape of a swan on the bed. It was clean and comfortable and the staff where very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel however judging my previous reviews I would request room number 33, on the top floor but it was fine.

• Stayed October 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

My grandson and I booked this (hotel)!!! in order to be in london for a football match. On arriving
friday morning 11 oclock to maybe just leave our luggage, we found it closed. At 12-30 we got in via the not so nice bar. When we eventually were allowed into our room we found it filthy with no bed covers. We braved it out until morning then made a hurried retreat. How this place even merits a star I do not know. Have not seen anything quite so bad in all my life.
George Glasgow.

Room Tip: There is none.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family