“Great Addition to the London Hotel Scene”

Dorsett Shepherds Bush, London
Ranked #235 of 1,088 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester
“Great Addition to the London Hotel Scene”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I booked 3 rooms to attend a concert at the Albert Hall. What a great addition this hotel is. Granted we paid a secret escape price and the hotel has very recently opened, 5 days ago, but the staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful as they develop and find their feet, hence the 5 stars. Breakfast was delicious, lovely fresh omelette! The concierge was brilliant, his assistants eager to help and check in service extremely diligent and professional. I wish the hotel much success as it evolves and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. The location is also excellent. Looking forward to a return

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank dutts
DorsettLondon, General Manager at Dorsett Shepherds Bush, London, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Concierge have huge smiles today all thanks to your lovely feedback. Please do come back soon.

Hilary Cross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a room and afternoon tea through secret escapes. When we arrived we were impressed with the decor and theme of the hotel and everything looked wonderful. However that was the first and last thing that impressed us.

On check in we were were told that as they has just opened afternoon tea wasn't available so we could have a 3 course meal instead, sounds good but they didn't tell us that it was from a set menu of 3 items. More about the appalling food later! Check in took almost half an hour by untrained staff who had to consult a manager every step of the way and couldn't answer the most basic questions.

The room. Walls were paper thin and we could hear everything going on outside and had no feeling of privacy. Air con didn't work, there was still builders dirt in the wardrobe.

At the bar I asked for a good Scottish whiskey I was given jack Daniels. Had the choice of a red or a white wine. I quite liked the red that I paid £20 for so I googled it to get down more at home turned out it was less than £5 a bottle.

Staff. 1 or 2 nice members but on the whole they were very incompetent and didn't know anything especially at dinner.

Dinner. This was appalling in every way. First we were told that check in had lied to us and the 3 course was from a set menu consisting of 3 spiced dishes, none of which looked very appetising. After complaining we were aloud to choose something from the main menu the managers attitude made us feel like cheepskates. The food was terrible cheep ingredients oversold on the menu. Full of salt and not much else. We couldn't finish the meal as they were so terrible. The staff could care less and just agreed that the chef wasn't very good. All around us we saw other tables sending food back and forth to to the kitchen and complaining.

In summery they have tried to make a luxury hotel on the cheep by cutting corners and overcharging. I will NEVER stay here again and will be complaining to their head office regarding this obismal experience.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank BACKD00RHER0 .
DorsettLondon, General Manager at Dorsett Shepherds Bush, London, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
We are very disappointed to read your review and look forward to receiving your direct feedback as stated.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

. I dare say that by now it will have settled down into the professionally run, mid-range hotel it aims to be. But I stayed here on it's opening night last Tuesday and although I got a cheap rate I didn't take kindly to being used as an aid to their snagging programme. I was allocated, for some reason, a disabled access room, facing the interior with no natural light. Good job I'm not disabled as the emergency cords were still tied up to the ceiling in both bedroom and bathroom and the bed was far too low for wheelchair access. This may also explain why there was no furniture in the room whatsoever apart from the bed; not even a stool. The bath/shower mixer tap was faulty so no hot water ( although they did give a decent refund for this without too much argument). Lobby furniture was still being delivered as I arrived and the bar, gym and spa were not finished by the time I left.

So, as there was no prior indication that the hotel was in a pre-opening trial period, I'm rating it based on the experience I had rather than how it will be when finished and de-snagged.

A tip for overseas visitors. Rather than walk to catch the underground to the West End, it is just as quick, more convenient and much nicer to catch the number 94 bus from right outside the hotel door which runs straight along Oxford and Regent Streets to Piccadilly Circus.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing outwards.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank medocain
Dear Medocain,

Thank you for your review, although I am sorry you had such a poor experience. Please do contact me via info.shepherdsbush@dorsetthotels.com as I would like to discuss your feedback personally.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We checked in within the first few hours of the hotel opening. I agree with one of the reviewers that it was quite exciting. Who experiences that? My two colleagues and I were here on a business trip for the week and had been to London many times staying at places all over London ( marble arch, Picadilly, Leicester square, Kensington, marleybone, etc.). But this was our first time staying at his part of the city. We did it because all the other high quality hotels were so expensive due to conventions in the city, holiday season, and Wimbledon. Plus, I really like to try out new areas to compare and contrast.

The first thing you will notice is the cab fare from Heathrow. Close to £45 which is a bargain compared to getting to other parts of the city. It usually costs me closer to £75-80. The driver was none too pleased although he didn't show it since he waited 5 hours for our fare. So I tipped him £15 for which he was very grateful. None of the taxi drivers know the hotel since it is so new so we were constantly explaining how to get to our hotel. Also, we had tremendous difficulty getting taxis outside the hotel during every part do the day across 4 days. So,be prepared for a wait unless you are lucky. Management, please work on this and establish relationships or outreach with the cab companies.

Checkin and checkout were very painful but I'm sure will get better. The staff are not properly trained on the systems and it took 20-30 minutes to check in and out for nothing more than a normal process You normally get to review a printout of your charges when checking out but not here. My agent read them out to me and asked if everything seemed proper? If I was rainman I would have been fine with it. Also, the key cards were not programmed properly so all of us had to get them reprogrammed after our first day.

The rooms were very warm for all of us even though we were on completely separate floors. We tried to get the 27 degree rooms to cool down and even had maintenance look into the situation. His approach was to suggest turning the fan on high but we obviously did that over the course of many hours. Plus a 16 degree setting should do something more than to keep it steady at 27. Two of our rooms had non functional phones throughout our entire stay despite reassurances that maintenance was coming up to fix it. There were no shampoo or soap holders in the showers so you had to put your things on the floor. Also,the blow dryer cannot be plugged in the bathroom so you need to take it into the sleeping area. The elevators were working and then not working so it was a difficult first couple of days. But they got that sorted out eventually.

Now for the positives. The staff are consistently very nice and friendly people. The place is nicely and tastefully decorated with modern Asian influences. Lots of good quality finishings so not to worry there. Nothing is cheap or gaudy. Comfortable beds, linens, towels, pillows. Rooms were clean and new. Lots of the little things were thought through like toiletries including tooth brush, razors, qtips, etc. Great shampoo and conditioner. iPhone docking station. The food was actually very good. I had room service dinner one night and breakfast all mornings. I know that one of the reviewers noted no butter, fruit and donuts. I was there when that happened but they quickly rectified the situation. Coffee was sometimes not as hot as it should be. Great omelette station. It got really busy with tour groups so the food was moving quickly. I was pretty shocked that they filled up so quickly for just opening.

The one things that absolutely needs to be fixed are that the doors don't auto close properly. It looks like they do, but most of the room doors are partially open. This is a security danger. Someone came into my room accidentally when I was there and it scared the crap out of me. My door looked closed but it wasn't. I did my own audit of the floor and noticed that many of the rooms were similarly slightly opened. When I left every morning I had to give it that little extra pull to fully close.

I hope you get things sorted out. When and if you do it has the potential to be a great hotel. I will fully recommend it when training and the nuances are figured out. Overall not a bad stay, not a great stay. The little things count so much in your overall guest impressions so keep trying.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Anonybiztravler
Thank you for putting so much thought in to your feedback. We will certainly take it all on board. Please do let us have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to show you the real quality of Dorsett.

Heathrow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel last week and it's just opened so everything is super shiny and fabulously fitted out.

A Chinese influence is applied throughout the hotel and I was so impressed with the entrance such a great sense of arrival.

I'm sure this place will be busy so get in while you can.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank DeanMadge
Hi DeanMadge,

We are very happy to hear you were impressed with the hotel. I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Hilary Cross,
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel as a stopover on the way home from heathrow. We did not realise until the next day that it had only opened that day. We were met by very pleasant staff who were courteous and polite, even advising us of local places to eat as we arrived very late due to delays.
The room was very well appointed with a comfy bed, good amenities, free wifi and a great shower, do agree though would not want to share with person not well acquainted with due to see through panel from bathroom.
We had breakfast which was a bit chaotic due to being the first day but think this hotel should definitely be given a chance as the staff were lovely and it was very near 2 underground lines and 2 min walk to Westfield shopping centre

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dollydaydream023
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I do hope that you come back again soon.

Hilary Cross,
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

It was quite exciting to be staying here on the opening night for two nights but of course that meant that there were additional issues which hopefully may not affect future guests. We went under Secret escapes for a special anniversary, but had a phone call to confirm the hotel was open in advance when we asked if there would still be drilling etc. We were expecting some teething problems, but were assured the building work would all be finished.

As it is not fair to mark a hotel purely on teething problems I have divided this review into three parts - teething problems which hopefully will be resolved; issues that spoil the hotel and the positives of the hotel.

Positives:
excellent area - lovely little shops and restaurants set around Shepherds Bush park and with easy reach of bus stops and tube as well as the big Westfield shopping centre..
I found all the staff very helpful and positive - keen to make a good impression and polite.
The room decor was lovely, with Chinese embellishments like the birds on the lamps and doors, marble-looking bathroom, very large bed with gorgeous luxury sheets and massive soft towels. The rooms are well stocked with ironing board, hairdryer, stationary, nice toiletries etc. The first breakfast was very good quality food; buffet with Chinese, continental and English traditional breakfasts - nice quality bacon, sausage etc We booked it as part of our deal but I am not sure it is worth £15 which is the rack price. There was a chef cooking made to order omlettes.

Teething problems:
Warnings if you are going there soon but hopefully will be ironed out before too long. ..To continue about the breakfast, the second morning half the items were missing - they had run out of marmalade the first morning - a cardinal mistake for English people - trying to foist apricot jam instead!! - a very minor point but to run out on the very first morning ??!! The second morning there was no fruit sliced or salad - only in the bowl; they had run out of butter; there were donuts on the first morning - none on the second. It almost seemed as the kitchen tried to make a good impression on their first morning (presumably important sponsors staying for the initial night) and didn't try after that... so not sure what £15 breakfast would buy further n in the week! It also took ages to get a cup of decaf coffee both days as they had to make a special trip to the kitchen - they need to understand that is not a unusual request for decaff coffee!!
At time of writing the spa was not working and so the info pack was not very complete.
The key cards did not work properly and we had to go back several times each day for them to be re-issued.
DRILLING!!! Yes - There was drilling from 9.20 am, and not only that but people coming in and out of the rooms all day with new lamps, TV checks etc. I know we bought it cheaper on Secret escapes but it was still over £100 per night, and as I had been ill before I went I was quite upset that my room was a thoroughfare of knocks - including people asking for the other workers to get keys off them etc. do they think we had the room free and therefore were entitled to no privacy???
The nice big flatscreen TV worked the first day, then an engineer was sent in... one day later it didn't work any more except for BBC 1!

Long term issues:
The first room i was offered was dingy as it had no natural light being on the inside of the hotel which opened onto an inner area and looked across to other rooms. I was uncomfortable with the overlooking and when the drilling started I used this as an excuse to ask for a different room. I was then given a much nicer room on the outside with windows half frosted as we were on the first floor and I was told that no windows in the hotel open. The room was bigger and had a small bath whereas the first room only had a shower unit and smaller room. The inner rooms seem to all be even numbers and the outer rooms with outside facing windows seem to be odd numbers.

The first room I had only had a shower, but the second had a bath - although it was very short - you had to put your legs out of the bath to lie back and wet your hair!!

The worst thing about the hotel was the lack of sound proofing and I made a comment at reception to suggest they look in to this for the price and luxury category of this hotel. he first night all I could hear until after 1 am was doors banging. I thought maybe I was near a stairwell but I wasn't - it was simply room doors shutting up and down the corridors which banged so loudly I couldn't sleep. If they don't put more soundproofing in then this is a real problem that is worse than many cheaper hotels i have stayed in. The walls were very thin and you could easily hear conversations inside rooms as you walked past - not much privacy for business or pleasure!!

We had a double room where the bed was joined to make one big one, but if you book a twin with someone you are not so familiar with be warned the bathrooms have frosted glass which you can see through clearly from the bedroom when someone has a shower!!

All in all - pretty decor, but not as serviceable or luxurious as the price would lead you to expect. Hopefully they will read these reviews and try to improve. The area is lovely and for business travellers only sleeping here maybe it is a good place near the central line; but for a romantic holiday, the lack of peace and sound privacy is not good.

Room Tip: My experience on the first floor, (therefore I assume the other floors follow the same pattern) is o...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pubble
Thank you so much for your detailed and comprehensive feedback which we are taking on board. It is only when we receive such feedback that we can make improvements.

We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.