“Great New Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Bournemouth
“Great New Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My friend and I stayed for 2 nights while taking in the tennis at Wimbledon. I knew it was a new hotel but didn't realise it had only opened the previous week. Everything smelled new! Check-in was quick and easy. All the staff we met were extremely helpful and friendly. Our twin room was on the 3rd floor and on the outside of the building (when I booked I wasn't even aware there were internal rooms, so glad we didn't get one of those). Décor was neutral and restful. The beds were fairly hard (as in most hotels) but the pillows were fab - squishy and mouldable. Best of all the air con worked a treat (most important on the hottest days of the year so far). The little fridge came in handy too. Shower was great and easy to use. Would be good to have somewhere to put your shampoo etc as we had to stand it on the floor. Also - a chair to use at the dressing table please. Minor gripes though. Breakfast was very good - a decent selection of cooked and continental. A nice man was cooking eggs to order in the dining room (I had a lovely mushroom omelette). Surprisingly check-out wasn't till 12.00. Gave us extra time to walk the 5 mins over to Westfield Shopping Centre. Didn't realise most of the shops don't open till 10am, but still got to gawp in some very expensive windows. All in all a very pleasant stay - Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room if natural light is important to you.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lostintroonstation
DorsettLondon, General Manager at Dorsett Shepherds Bush, London, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for such a positive review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and got the chance to take advantage of Westfield.

I do hope we get the chance to welcome you to the hotel again.

Hilary Cross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

After reading other reviews, I would say this hotel highly depends on the standards of which you are used to. The hotels at which i usually stay are Sheraton Starwood Hotels and Resorts which I believe to be a high standard and good quality company.

As I am only 20, I don't usually pay for the hotel and therefore wanted something of a high standard, at a reasonable cost for a student and close to the attractions of London which proved difficult to find - however I found this on Secrete Escaped and paid £195 for two nights and took my boyfriend here for the weekend to celebrate his birthday. Unfortunately due to our trains being cancelled and delayed we didn't arrive until 11pm. Although the hotel is only a ten minute walk from shepherds bush station, we got a taxi as we had our luggage, but this was only £5.

Upon arrival, the hotel looked lovely and check in at this time was quick, however the room we were given was a twin pushed together, and we realised there was nothing in the mini fridge. This was quickly resolved as we called down to reception and they apologised and explained they had no available double rooms but would be happy to upgrade us to a deluxe room which was much larger and had a bath (very small for a man) instead of a shower, although the mini fridge still only had two bottles of water in. We had a very comfortable first night with all staff polite, friendly, and attentive to our needs.

In the morning we did not have the hotel breakfast, but took a right out of the hotel towards the crossing where there is a lovely cafe which does the same breakfast and more, for a third of the price (I think it may have been Bills Cafe which another review mentioned). On return to the hotel after a day around London our room key no longer worked which was annoying - but again quickly resolved. Early evening we ordered some room service (a small pizza with two toppings) which came to £15, however this ended up being £20 when we came to check out as there is a charge for the service as well as the tray?! RIDICULOUS and unnecessary charge as if the food wasn't expensive enough. I thought this was extremely expensive for the size of the pizza ordered - granted it was a very tasty pizza (congrats to the chef!). Saturday evening seemed to be loud along the corridors which is expected, and therefore much like other guests have said, soundproof doors should be an essential.

Checking out was quick and easy and we were able to leave our bags until the evening at no extra cost.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to others who are visiting London as although Shepherds Bush itself isn't the nicest area in London, the Hotel is immaculate and close to Westfield Shopping Centre and the tube station, which seemed to be 20 minutes from attractions such as London Dungeons, Ice Bar just off Regents Street, Natural History and Science Museum, and Covent Gardens. Once the staff get used to the hotel and the small things such as the mini fridges being full are perfected, I don't see why anyone would have an unpleasant stay, and therefore this is the only reason why I gave 4 stars instead of 5.

Thank you for having us Dorsett Shepherds Bush Hotel - very welcoming, funny, and friendly staff!

Room Tip: Unless in desperate need of space, not much point in booking a duluxe room instead of a standard roo...
1 Thank 425x1x
DorsettLondon, General Manager at Dorsett Shepherds Bush, London, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for such a detailed review. I am pleased you both had an enjoyable experience and we hope to be able to welcome you again very soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Booked this hotel last minute for a weekend break in London. It was very reasonable <£200 for 2 people for 2 nights at a very busy time in London(Wimbledon) and when most hotels were much more expensive. The hotel is conveniently located very close(less than 5 minutes walking) to 3 underground stations. We used Shepherd's Bush and Shepherd's Bush Market stations which have at least 4 different underground lines between them. It takes less than 30 mins on the tube to central London. Staff were lovely. We arrived after midnight and were greeted politely and shown to our room(we requested a twin if possible and were given just that). The rooms are beautiful and clean and for a relatively new hotel I couldn't see any creases that needed to be ironed out. There is a safe in the room and you need to use your room key to go up on the lift making you feel secure when you are in the hotel. There was also 24 hour room service which was handy considering we arrived so late and were starving. We put our do not disturb sign up and both slept soundly with no interruptions and could not hear any street or corridor noise at any time during our stay(and we were near the lifts). The beds were extremely comfy. Hotel is also close to a very large shopping center - means can avoid going to busier areas to shop and there is a sainsbury's local across the road for essentials. With the shopping center comes all the chain restaurants you would expect. I would recommend this hotel to all except those who wouldn't want a short travel into central London.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Emma W
Thank you for taking the time to write your review Emma. I am very pleased to hear you had such a great nights sleep and enjoyed your time at the hotel.

I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Cwmbran, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked with secret escapes for quite a late deal for £105pn with breakfast and stayed for one night (05/07/2014), checking out on 06/07/2014. As this was a new hotel and reading the reviews I was worried as they seemed very mixed. I travelled to London with my boyfriend via megabus and used the tube to travel around the city. This may be a long review but I want to let you know of all the details as this is a new hotel.

Overall I loved this hotel and I was very very happy. Shepherds Bush tube station was a quick 5-10 minute walk across the common and the bus stop was right outside the hotel. For the tube I booked all day, all zone tickets which also work on the night buses so getting around the city is really simple.

We had travelled straight off the megabus around the city and had afternoon tea so did not arrive at the hotel until around 5pm. Service was very prompt at reception especially considering that the hotel has only recently opened. The decor in reception is lovely and I felt like it was a very expensive, boutique hotel. Lifts were fast and spacious so I believe that even when it is busy getting to and from the rooms would be easy.

We arrived at our room and I loved the little touch of the bird on a branch with our room number on the door. Very sweet. I am going to write one bad comment, there was tape on the door frame however it is a new hotel and without telling them they did remove it. I wasn't that bothered and for me it did not spoil the effect.

The room was elegantly decorated, I loved the little touches in the room that gave it a very luxurious feel. The bed was exceptionally comfy with the best pillows I have slept on at a hotel. The room was also very spacious. with a very decent size bathroom. The shower and bath are in a kind of wetroom which I have never seen before and there was frosted glass between the bathroom and bedroom area. For me and my boyfriend the frosted glass wasn't an issue and probably not with friends but I understand if some people like more privacy in the bathroom. It was nice as it let plenty of light in and gave it a really nice feel. The water was a lovely temperature and there was lovely towels with changeable heat radiator and the air con outside the room which gave it a lovely temperature in the room.

The free toiletries (including dental kit, sewing kit and shaving kit) were really nice. They smelt lovely and they was plenty for us both to shower in the evening and morning with a lot left over. I liked the dental and shaving kit as these can be handy when away so this was a nice touch.

The safe in the room (free) was really useful as we went out in the night and was very easy to use and lots of room. As we left for our night out, the staff were very friendly wishing us good night and to have a good evening. We went to Greenwich to visit a friend and went to the pub. This was lovely and the tube again, very easy and accessible. Got back rather late as I had to use the nightbus. Not being a fan of the nightbus I was recommended an app called 'Citymapper' which was useful and helps you with your journey. It can be used for all transport in London (I am ok with the tube) but very handy for the buses. Just to let you know, buses are do not accept money anymore.

Got in at around 2am into the hotel and the staff again were very friendly. Went straight to bed. Woke up and after a great nights sleep, it was nice that breakfast was served until 11am and we didn't have to check out until midday meaning we could take things at a slower pace.

Breakfast was lovely. Full english with cumberland sausages and proper mushrooms. Pastries were lovely with muffins, pain au chocolat etc and there was yogurt and fruit. Very wide selection, really that filled us up all day. I have tea at breakfast and they brought us big pots each (no need to share) and when asking for more cutlery etc the staff were very helpful and prompt. Also, the staff are very chatty which is nice and is very welcoming.

We returned to our room and relaxed. The smart tv was really good and there were a lot of electric points in the room which is useful for all our phones and tablets. We did not use the spa and swimming pool so cannot comment on these unfortunately.

This was a lovely hotel and would recommend it. I would also return in an instant as it was perfect for our needs in London with close proximity to everything. For the price we paid, this was brilliant. I imagine it is slightly more expensive at full price but still very good. Thankyou for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Ask to look out over the park (I think they are the odd number rooms)
2 Thank Kirsty R
Kirsty, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth review! I am delighted to hear your feedback and have passed it all on to the rest of the team who are equally delighted.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Dorsett Shepherds Bush very soon.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and I took a chance on this new hotel and booked it for a 2-night stay. We were in London celebrating my 40th birthday. The location is good, next to Shepherds Bush Empire, which brought back memories! There is a bus stop outside the hotel with buses going to Hyde Park and Piccadilly Circus (no cash fares anymore though). The hotel looks nice and we could see what they were aiming for. There the good things end.
The card reader didn't work in our room, so we had no lights in the bathroom. We reported it immediately. Soon after, two workers came to do some work in the bathroom, but not relating to the lights issue. They left as soon as they realised the lights weren't working. As we were going to a concert in Hyde Park and were already late, I had to shower in the dark and use the full-length mirror instead of the bathroom mirror to do my make up. As we were leaving, the workers came to sort out the card reader, so we left them to it.
When we got back, the lights were working. However, a new issue became very apparent - poor sound proofing. Any sound in the corridor could easily be heard.
In the morning, we went to Bill's for breakfast. When we got back to the room, a maid was already in there cleaning. We asked her to come back later. We got ready to go out for the day and that's when I realised my contact lenses were missing. Cut a long story short, the maid threw them out with the empties from the previous day and told me she threw them away as they were with the empty ones (from the rush the day before). Apologies for not tidying up.. She had to dig them out in her rubbish bin for me.
From then onwards, we were just waiting in dread for the next thing to go wrong. Thankfully, nothing else went wrong. However, we heard someone hoovering in the corridor at 9pm and the maids were out in force by 9am knocking on the doors. Please use your 'do not disturb' sign and earplugs if you want to sleep in.
Check in and check out was quick.
I've never felt so relieved walking out of a hotel after checking out.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank edwincheekymonkey
DorsettLondon, General Manager at Dorsett Shepherds Bush, London, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your review. Please contact me directly on info.shepherdsbush@dorsetthotels.com as I would like to follow up and discuss this with you.

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed in for 1 night. Booked via Secretescapes. Great location - only 10 minutes walk from Shepherds Bush Underground Station. Staff were very hospitable, welcoming and helpful. We were on our way to a wedding and needed to organise a taxi at short notice. The reception staff went out of their way to organise a taxi. They were even helpful about making sure we knew where we were going. Room was a good size for London and was tastefully decorated. The complimentary fruit was a nice touch. Would stay again! (Only minor criticism was that the room was too warm. Could not find a way of cooling the room).

1 Thank Happy R
Great to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and our Guest Services staff were delighted to be able to help you. I look forward to welcoming you again.

Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel as part of our wedding anniversary and it was great...in most part due to the excellent staff...well done and thank you. The hotel had only just opened, and I could see from other reviews that there had been some teething problem, but we just had an first class experience...from the valet parking service (cheaper than the parking that was some distance away), the friendly and speedy check-in, to the complementary fruit platter and wine to help us celebrate our anniversary...not standard but a very nice touch :)

Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and that completed a memorable stay!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed spending your wedding anniversary here with us and we hope you spend many more with us in the future.