“Ive stayed in hotels in 3rd world countries that were better than this hole” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of London Shelton Hotel

London Shelton Hotel
Ranked #1,028 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Ive stayed in hotels in 3rd world countries that were better than this hole”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

This place was disgraceful. It should have been called “The London S-HELL-TON cess pit”
I literally have never stayed in a worse place in my entire life.
After standing in silence, despite asking questions of the receptionist, and having to search for my own name on the list of guests we were finally given the key to room number 12.
The shower had mildew all over walls which were still wet. The shower had to be hand held as the holder on the wall was broken. In addition, I had to turn the shower off during my shower to allow the standing water to drain away. There was a large hole in the ceiling in the bathroom with plaster falling out and a significant draft coming from it. I am unsure what the scratching sounds were above it but I’m sure I can hazard a guess. The sink was dirty and also had standing water. My partner and I were given 3 hand towels for the room. There were two cups complete with tea bags, sugar and milk but the room had no kettle so were rendered useless. The single pane window did not close properly and so it was cold and you could hear everything outside. The TV did not work as the poorly hand modified coax cable did not fit. When I questioned the receptionist and asked for a portable aerial or if they could fix it, I was greeted with the response “no, we are refurbishing, you can see that”. I can categorically deny there was any sign of anything that looked refurbished. The set of drawers contained an empty packet of cigarettes and several screws. The light in the main room on the wall had no bulb. The plug sockets on the wall were coming away from it and did not appear safe. After a poor nights sleep we ventured down to breakfast to a room that stank of old grease and cooking oil. We were greeted by a lady with the word “tea or coffee”, and then she wandered off. As you can imagine, we were eagerly awaiting our breakfast and didn’t know what to pick when we were told “breakfast today consists of eggs, toast, butter and jam”…… I will ensure in future I stay a million miles away from this utter cesspit of a building (I cannot bring myself to say hotel as I feel I will be going against all my beliefs).
Three words “STAY WELL AWAY”.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WesandLena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Dumbarton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

Booked this hotel for one night to go to a football match. We were going to be arriving late on the Saturday, so contacted the hotel the night before to inform them of the late arrival and not to sell the room to anyone else. Arrived at the hotel at about 21.30 only to be told that there was no booking for us. we were a party of 8 and had booked and paid for 3 rooms through Booking.com. We showed the receptionist, in what I can only describe as a glass box for a reception, our reservation and receipt for payment but to no avail. We then had to wander about London at 22.00 on a Saturday night looking for alternative accommodation. ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL.

Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank JohnH20Jan

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

The hotel was ok I suppose. I went with a friend to stay there for the Scotland v Brazil game. The rooms were not in a great state with holes in the walls and a cockroach in one of the rooms. Beds were ok and my shower was ok but my friends was pretty grim looking. Close enough to walk to the Emirates within half an hour and plenty of pubs on the walk there. Overall we didnt pay a lot at all £90 for two rooms for two nights and we got what we paid for,

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

2 Thank Boabe
herts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

The staff at this hotel were less than hospitable, I know it was supposed to be cheap and cheerful but the decor of the hotel was very poor and the toilet in our room did not have a seat. We were locked into the building and had to wait for staff to let us out.

The breakfast was very basic but at least it was hot and the coffee was good.

The parking which is listed as an advantage is a space on the pavement outside the hotel but it is watched by security cameras.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

1 Thank mabaker336
Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

No greetings, demanded payment for room straight away and was given a key at the same time as he was playing games on the company computer. When i did find my room, it took me 10 minutes to put the key in the door and open it. Inside the room all the carpets was stained, the kiddies wardrobe door was hanging off, so there was no where to hang my clothes. THE EN SUIT!!...woke a joke that was, it was stinking, smelly and VERY dirty. When i had a shower all the water went on to the floor and the toilet lid would not stay up!!!!!!!!
I think this place should be blown up and will never stay there again or recommend this place to anyone!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank gaylord0
stoke on trent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

I was very disappointed to find that this hotel was not only dirty and very run down, but there was no saving grace. The bathroom was dirty and I would not have used the shower if they paid me. The room was grubby, the windows were draughty and there was constant noise from the 'shack' outside. The breakfast was a sausage, a heavily salted egg and a teaspoon of cold beans. Me and my husband left very quickly and ended up at mcdonalds on the way home.

DO NOT STAY HERE unless of course you want some sort of disease...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kmspence
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

Well what can I say about the Shelton Hotel? The location is hard to find for starters.

When we arrived the 24 hour reception (glorified shed next to most repulsive looking hotel I've ever seen) the man refused to check us in despite having all of the booking information printed to show him. He would not check his bookings and asserted that it had been cancelled (strangely I received no email or phone call cancelling my booking). The hotel was unlocked so a friend of mine ventured inside to find a manager. Upon which the receptionist locked her into the hotel and pushed another of my friends aside to do so. After we called the police (who were rather unhelpful) the thug that seems to pass as a receptionist in the Shelton's eyes removed the bookings list from his folder and rewrote it presumably to erase any evidence of our booking!

Had to phone a cab as is a dangerous part of Islington and ended up paying almost £200 to get home.

I would certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone, it was dreadful. The night porter/receptionist/psychopath was rude, aggressive and nasty. The hotel looked hideous and they were happy to leave 5 women stranded late on a Saturday in a rough area. We are considering our legal options at the moment.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends