“Not great.”

Ranked #1,014 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
“Not great.”
Reviewed 11 November 2012

The check in time was supposed to be 1PM but it was more like 2:30 by the time we could get in our room after it had been cleaned. The room we had booked was supposed to be a twin, for two friends sharing; we got a double, so not a good start.

The bed didn't seem particularly comfortable but I slept surprisingly well, though I was considerably tired. The room was pleasantly warm when we got back to the hotel at midnight, which was one of the better points. While I wouldn't say the place was unclean, there were marks on the walls and scuffs on the carpets everywhere. Two hangers were in the wardrobe, the metal one had been bent to resemble a diamond, which is no use to anybody.

The shower gets very hot but it takes a while and it's hard to get a temperature comfortable between scalding and cold, the shower head leaked where it connects to the pipe. The plastic shower caddy needs incinerating. For some reason there was no hand towel. The towels provided had been washed, but they didn't look too clean, fortunately I had brought my own with me.

The "full English" breakfast was toast, beans and two fried eggs, it is not what I call a full English breakfast.

The hotel is just over the road from Harringay train station, which is very handy and there is 24 hour access. Keys have to be handed in if you leave and can be picked back up when you return, this is good from a "can't lose my key if I get pissed" point of view, however it does mean someone can say "room 12" please and without any sort of check to see who you are (when receptionists change shifts), anyone could get access to your room and your belongings.

The guy on reception stops mid-sentence to answer his phone, with no apology. He is very friendly when you leave though.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank OPalmer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Canberra
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I stayed 2 nights. Firstly I called ahead to ask if there was somewhere secure to store my luggage and was assured there was. There isn't. I was told my belongings would be safe in the breakfast hall with the door open to the street and the staff not always in the room. When I questioned the security I was asked if there was anything important in my bag. Um, yes. When you travel your bag contains your world. As I was trying to check in, a junkie and his Mrs were also checking in. The manager was rude, very rude.
The room. Not particularly clean. TV kind of worked as did the shower. Shower hadn't been cleaned - the last person's soap still remained. Breakfast was ok. Location is ok. But really, I would have been better of having stayed in the backpackers I'd just left sharing my room with 20 others.
I didn't feel safe at this hotel at all and I am a pretty experienced traveller.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Catherine P

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Maynooth, Ireland
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We had a quick look at the room before we checked in. It was so dirty the carpets were stained,the walls looked as if they were not painted in about 10yrs,the bedroom was filthy,used cup of tea half full next to telly,doors missing from wardrobe,windows broken on landing.We noticed dirty laundry in bags and left loose on corridoor. and to top it off they had the cheek to put a notice on door no dogs allowed I wouldnt let my dogs stay there.THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN IMMEDIATELY

Room Tip: nothing good
Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Teresa H
Páfos, Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Reasonable location, near stations etc. Needs a good renovation, but at prices the rooms were fine. Shower was good. Food forgettable. But if youre looking for cheap and somewhere to drop youre head, its fine.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dooglas D
Felixstowe
Reviewed 3 September 2012

But they've set themselves a particular level and standard of service and don't pretend to go above it. The room was clean, the beds comfortable and the bedding good. The building's a bit run down, but at £50 a night for a couple with breakfast thrown in, it would be churlish to complain. Oh, the breakfast is only toast, egg and bakes beans. Or if you don't want a cooked breakfast, just toast. Transport links to Central London are superb - Harringey station is 30-seconds walk across the road. And there's a terrific Tapas bar and restaurant opposite. If you need a budget place to doss down in basic comfort, won’t be hanging around much in the hotel (there’s no lounge as such), and you want to get into town quick, it's worth considering. It worked for us, even though we’re used to spending more than three times as much, with all the luxury that price level delivers.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

Quite disappointing seeing the potential of the property and the area. With some TLC this place could be a real nice b&b. I didn't see or feel they care much about the place and to call it basic is an understatement. Not even a towel was provided. Firebells rang at 02:50 but was false alarm. Will return to the area but not to this place.

• Stayed August 2012