Euro Hotel Clapham
US$181
US$388
US$230
  • Restaurant
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$211
US$196
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Lancaster Gate(London)(Great Value!)
US$302
Orbitz.com
US$251
US$237
Official Site
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Can I just take this moment to warn everyone off Euro Hotel Clapham. Not only is the hotel dirty and old, the rooms are small, and the 'continental breakfast' terrible. They are infested with bed bugs, and the hotel manager Wahiba blame their guests for this pest.

On the morning of Sunday Dec 15, I discovered that both my arms, my back and my chest were covered in red spots. At the time, I thought it to be an allergic reaction or contact dermatitis. When I got back to my hotel room on the night of the same day, I noticed that the sports had gotten larger, more itchy and sore. I started looking up possible causes, and found that my symptoms exactly matched those of bed bug bites. Sure enough, right under the sheets at the head end of the bed, I found large bed bug (see attached picture). I immediately contacted the reception regarding this, and after a while, I got placed in a new room.

Pertaining to this, I had an odd experience on the night of Wednesday Dec 11. After coming back to our newly made room, my girlfriend and I noticed a very poignant gas-like odour stemming from the frame of our hotel bed. Looking back, this odour was very similar to that of a house hold pesticide. This experience, combined with the fact that people on TripAdvisor recently have complained about bed bugs at this very hotel has made me believe that the hotel deliberately assigned me a room knowing that there was a bed bug infestation.

This, of course, is utterly unsatisfactory. On top of the grief, complete lack of sleep and physical discomfort the bed bug attack has caused me, there is also the very real risk of my girlfriend or me carrying the infestation back home. A professional pest extermination will be very costly and be the sources of great inconvenience.

When we confronted the hotel staff about our experience this morning (Dec 16, 2013), we were met in a completely rude manner by the hotel manager, who first claimed that the attached picture was of a cockroach, and then proceeded to tell us that bed bugs were not the responsibility of the hotel as they were brought in by other guests. After a loud argument, she agreed to rectify this unfortunate experience by moving us to a new and larger room and offered to get our clothes profesionally cleaned. However, she also told us that she could not give us a refund without getting my private debit card information, which I refused.

To make the joke complete, next morning, we found all our clothes sitting wet, on a dirty chair. Some were even on their dusty, cement floor. They refused to do anything about this, and when I took a picture of the clothes, I was told that it was illegal to take pictures in there, and that they couldn't give me back my clothes. They basically took my clothes hostage! Another customer saw this and was appalled as I. He told me his room didn't even have electricity!

For your own mental well-being, never ever EVER stay here. If any

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Pritam K, Front Office Manager at Euro Hotel Clapham, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Guest

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. In regards to the Bed bugs, these are carriers which come in different ways. It can be carried even by other guest. As far as pest control is concerned we have all up to date records with the treatment which we are happy to submit to any health and safety officers on request, Please feel free to contact me on 02086733534 to discuss this further.

Kind Regards
Mohammed

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Cheap and tired hotel.shower head fixture was hanging off the wall,shower doors kept springing open.
The noise from theguests above was a constant distruption.tea making facilties were a joke.
Not the best introduction to visitors to london.
Nowhere to park the car,ended uphaving to walk over a mile to find a road without a parking meter,or residence parking.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Pritam K, Manager at Euro Hotel Clapham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Guest,

"Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to [Euro Hotel Clapham]. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the room state _________, which we have since [addressed to our maintenace]. Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed here for 7 nights. If you book in advance on booking.com or other sites, the rates are much better . i got it about 45 pounds which was a good deal compared to the other options I was getting. Looks like I got a nice room ; the toilet size was small ( compared to rooms in India with spacious bathrooms) but very functional . The room heating was kept up well and since my room faced the back side, I did not have any noise disturbance or other issues people seem to be commenting about.
I found the staff quite helpful and supportive in responding to my requirements. There is free wi fi in the common areas at all times ( reaches some of the rooms too ) and this was a big help. the breakfast at 3.50 pounds was not so great as they did not have any hot / cooked items . But they allow you to use the microwave and one can easily buy food from outside and heat and eat in the dining area.
On the whole , I found it a very comfortable , good value for money experience; especially as the tube station was close and the beautiful Clapham common grounds were right in front ( for walks or just sitting in the park) . I used to walk to the Balham station also , about 15-20 minuites brisk walk or a leisurely stroll through the interesting main road with shops and restaurants and saloons and interesting people :)

Room Tip: Choose the rooms facing the backside ( especially if on the ground floor) . Be reasonable and treat the staff with basic human courtesy and they respond with warmth and care. This was my experience. I saw some guests being rude to them .
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

"Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Bad:

noisy idiots in the next few rooms slamming doors and stomping about late. Not the hotel's fault in the main, but the general build quality of the rooms doesn't do much to quieten things. Even people walking down the stairs made the room rattle.

this hotel must have been the residence of the Lithuanian National Trampoline team for the 2012 Olympics, judging by the state of the bed which they must have used for practice. I slept practically folded in half.

towels were one each, and pretty small.

the radiator thermostat controller was set to a fixed temp, and then fell off the valve, but the other side of the radiator had an adjustable valve so we had some control.

we read the breakfast reports on here and decided not to even look.

The okay:

room facilities were okay for the price (tea bags/instant coffee, but no biscuits). Everything worked (TV, lights, shower, wifi, windows, doors).

The good:

nice view of the common, and the pond - where else in a London hotel at this price can you see herons from your window?

great location, some nice independent coffee shops along the road for breakfast.

Room Tip: Front rooms have the view but maybe road noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

This is the worse hotel I have ever been in. I paid £75 apparently half price because I booked late.
The whole hotel is grim and untidy. The room was not just grim but tiny with many broken fittings. The shower was mouldy, the floor not hoovered, toilet hanging off the wall with a bit of wood shoved down the back. The windows were very properly insulated so was the room as I could hear every word from the next room. Look elsewhere for a hotel. I didn't bother with the breakfast as I didn't expect it to be nice based on the rest of the hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

"Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly. Kind regards,