“The Conflict of the Restored Icon.”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #42 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Dublin, Ireland
“The Conflict of the Restored Icon.”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Oscar Wilde, an oft-cited regular at this establishment once famously wrote that "there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it" and so it is with Café Royal. For many of us the closure of this iconic London institution in 2008 and the sale of its historic contents was a great tragedy and many (among whom I am admittedly one) wished that someone - anyone - could be found with the inspiration, enthusiasm and most of all fortitude to inject new life and vigour into this once great bohemian palace of pleasure which had, by then, a rather jaded reputation tending on the sordid. How different its history had been. Within its walls, Edward VII as Prince of Wales (much to the chagrin of his mother) once held an artistic court composed of the great avant-garde artists, writers, actors (and more importantly actresses) and musicians of the fin de siècle of Victorian London and its bohemian reputation and somewhat cosmopolitan reputation ensured a varied and (in?)famous clientele throughout the twentieth century. News of the salvation of the Café Royal as a new 5 star hotel was thus greeted in equal measure with great relief but also with not insignificant trepidation: would the new owners, we asked, have the ability to meet the exacting needs of the 5-star hotel client whilst retaining the bohemian charm and avant garde joie de vivre which had once made the establishment a favourite of royalty, celebrity and artist alike? Having now gone, in acolyte fashion, to sample the pleasures of Café Royal convinced that I would either adore every feature of its rebirth or scorn its very audacity to reopen in some new and ghastly fashion under this iconic name, I have been surprised that this ambivalence remains somewhat in place.

To be at a birth is in equal measures a great and miraculous privilege and an inherently messy business and thus it is perhaps unfair to judge the new Café Royal in its current state. It is new: there is no doubting that it is new. From the moment I stepped in to a taxi at Paddington Station to be told by the archetypal London cabbie of many decades standing that there was "no point" going to the Café Royal because it closed years ago, I was aware of exactly how titanic the task is for the new owners to carve out a niche for the reborn establishment in an already flooded London hotel market in one of the worst recessions in history. The new hotel, I thought, will have to offer something very unique to this market and, to be fair, my experiences demonstrated that in many ways it does, though as other reviewers here have commented, there is yet work to be done.

Entrance to the Café Royal is through the original grand Edwardian marble hall facing Regent Street (now, thankfully, minus its ghastly 1980's Napoleonic awning which was more Las Vegas casino than 5 star London hotel). At first site, again one is struck with the newness of the establishment: the Portland stone exterior is sparkling white; the gilt letters above the door glint, freshly polished in the winter sunshine; the heavy bronze doors are as yet unsullied by patina and the much lauded informal Regent Street Café frontage is still a rather messy building site.

Almost as soon as I had laid my hand upon the grand bronze revolving door, I was met not by the usual ubiquitous top-hatted and jovial doorman but was instead immediately set upon by no fewer than three brawny and very slick security staff dressed in full-on Chelsea Nightclub Bouncer black. Whilst no doubt the secret fantasy of many a bored housewife or frustrated young country boy, this is really not how one expects to be greeted at a 5-Star hotel. The situation was made especially awkward by the fact that the grand marble Edwardian entrance hall (presumably -and thankfully- due to the building's Grade I listing) had no indication that it was the lobby of a hotel. There was no reception desk nor any sign that the building was anything other than a rather upmarket private residential or office block. Upon my assurance that I was, indeed, a guest, I was ushered through the gilt grandeur of the entrance hall, through the coolly elegant Edwardian marble and mosaic staircase lobby into an abruptly and almost inconceivably contemporary reception area. The theme here was stark minimalism: fumed oak panelling met gentle cream-painted walls without a touch of unnecessary decorative detail and the staff operated from a coolly lit niche behind a great unadorned slab of fumed oak. The architects would no doubt (and perhaps rightly) describe this as "serene": to those used to staying in the hotel's gaudier "elder-aunt" neighbours on Piccadilly and Brook Street, it will no doubt seem stark. The shock of the contemporary is indeed felt on entering this space: but somehow it works.

Reception staff were exceptionally friendly and happily chatted about the opening few weeks of the hotel whilst efficiently seeing to my check-in. I had taken a "Portland Room" on the third floor. I was ushered to the uniquely beautiful Art-Deco inspired lifts in the staircase lobby and exited on the third floor into a labyrinthine series of fumed-oak lined corridors all of which looked exactly the same. One would not wish to be returning late at night rather worse for wear into this maze! The cool lighting and "serene" colour scheme of the reception was continued in the corridors which had about them the unmistakeable feel of a high-end clinic or spa. It certainly looked nothing like any other London Hotel I have visited. The feeling of being in a high-end sanatorium (or worse an asylum!) was added to by the omnipresent security staff who appear with a degree of suddenness as you exit the lift. Again I found this very disconcerting and rather unwelcoming.

Having been shown into my room, I was immediately struck at the sense of light spaciousness and serenity. As a standard grade room this space was utterly exceptional. It was one of the largest rooms of any grade I have had in this area of London entered through a small corridor wherein is found a large butler's pantry and mirrored wardrobe. Suddenly the room rate began to feel very good value indeed.

The decor in this space was ultra-contemporary. In a seeming attempt to harmonise the room interior with its external view (and WHAT a view!), the walls were entirely composed of large blocks of imitation Portland Stone whilst the floors were of limed oak. Being at the front of the hotel, I immediately rushed to the window to open the curtains (this is done electronically by a switch by the bed) to reveal a spectacular view right into the heart of Piccadilly Circus. Yet, due to the really quite miraculous soundproofing, not a sound issued from outside. The bathroom was also clad in large rusticated blocks, this time of Carrera marble and my only criticism of this space was the lack of a bathtub which no doubt was the downside of the "standard" room, though the marble shower room was gargantuan. Bath products were by Floris (mainly Cefiro, once the staple of the Ritz). Such use of locally sourced products is to be applauded though those supplied tended to be a bit schizophrenic mixing rather too many of Floris' scents among the products themselves. I for one would highly recommend sticking to Cefiro. The room combined contemporary design with the most complex of contemporary technology.

Everything was electronic (including the lighting "do not disturb" sign and curtains) and the Bang & Olufsen TV, whilst looking like a work of art, required a Ph.D. in software technology to operate. I have never been a great fan of these innovations finding that all too often technical difficulties can lead to technical disasters. I can well imagine that as the uninitiated stumble clumsily through these devices they will soon be rather less than fully operational and will provide an especial headache for the staff. Certainly as regards the TV, whether it be as a result (as I suspect) of teething difficulties with the operating system or my stupidity, I never managed to figure it out and gave with in some frustration. The seemingly wonderful "mirror TV" in the bathroom never changed from an unflickering blue screen. But overall, the room, by London standards vast, was hugely comfortable: the colour scheme restful; the bed a dream; the complimentary Champagne a wonderful surprise. Do not wait. This is a hotel to be enjoyed whilst new. And new it certainly was. As Rose Dewitt Bukater declared in James Cameron's Titanic, "I can still smell the fresh paint. The china had never been used. The sheets had never been slept in".

And talking of a grand Edwardian wonder which is likely to sink like a stone, as night fell and the "Portland Stone" blocks of the room decor began to resemble less the grand streets of London and more a padded cell in an asylum guarded by the omnipresent security guards, I decided to pay a visit to the great inner sanctum of the Cafe Royal: the Grill Room. This had once been one of the grandest dining spaces in London surpassed only by Cesar Ritz's camply overblown opulent dining room of 1906. Today, it is perhaps one of its greatest disappointments.

It is clear that there has been much laudable restoration of the gorgeously gilt, opulently painted and nymph encrusted decor of the walls and ceiling of this mirrored room. However the addition of contemporary scarlet furniture which would look more at home in a Virgin Atlantic Premier Lounge and a bleak lighting scheme which manages to be only dim and dreary without being in the least atmospheric seems utterly at odds with this once bohemian and deliciously decadent room. Gone are the atmospheric glittering, mirrored absinthe-green and arsenic hues of Sir William Orpen's famous painting of this room and instead this space has an all-pervading sense of overbearing gloom. This is much increased by the fact that when we entered (at 10pm on a Friday evening) it was completely empty. In their great wisdom, the owners of the hotel have deigned that rather than a restaurant, the Grill Room is now a "Champagne and Caviar Bar": an odd choice of designation in the current market. Having taken up a menu, it very soon became apparent why it was empty. On a rather limited drinks menu, the least expensive item featured was £25.00 and most items were significantly more than this. Quite whom this space was aimed to attract is not at all apparent to me. It remains slightly too dowdy for the City crowd and has no hint of Edwardian comfortable grandeur to attract the old Belgravia set. I rather fear that the owners had misfired this particular shot and may find a change in use is necessary.

Retreating from the empty gloom of the Grill Room, still smarting from the disappointment, we sauntered to the hotel's contemporary Bar at the rear of the building facing Air Street. Taking the gloom of the Grill Room to its extreme, this space I found to be rather unpleasant. The overwhelming memory of the space: black. The furnishings were black, the walls were black and, in an homage to industrial chic, the bar was clad in riveted industrial steel the top of which was -unsurprisingly- black. Lighting and gloom in this space was so bad that I had to resort to using my mobile phone to see the menu. The cocktail menu was varied and rather good value by London standards and the service very friendly and efficient but I found the space rather oppressive. Again there were few clients (more probably as a result of lack of advertising) and overall the experience was not entirely a pleasant one.

The restaurant is housed in a room beside the bar and again is unashamedly contemporary in style, sitting rather incongruously in an Art-Deco room and rather awkwardly right beside the side entrance to the hotel with its vast bronze and glass doors opening onto Air Street, making the space feel as though squashed between two arterial corridors. As a result of the time, I did not have the opportunity to dine there though the space seemed rather busier than the Grill Room or Bar which must bode well.

On exiting the hotel for an evening out, I returned in the early hours. The Regent Street entrance to the hotel is closed at night and one is required to enter by the Air Street doors beside the restaurant. Just as earlier, on approaching the doors, I was greeted by three members of security staff who thankfully remembered me from earlier. I entered the lift, and just as before, on exiting at the third level, I was again met by another member of security staff asking whether I needed assistance. I have to say I really did find the omnipresence of security a tad oppressive during my stay and this, combined with the look of the hotel, really did give the impression of staying not in a 5-Star Hotel but instead in a celebrity drying out clinic. On arrival back at my room, I had one of the best night's sleep I have ever had in London. Forewarned by the review of another reviewer, I had requested foam pillows which were perfect. I stayed a second night and forgot to request these. As the reviewer pointed out, the feather versions are merely cotton bags of air and I was forced to use all four myself. Checkout was both friendly and efficient (the staff really cannot be faulted in any and in this respect the hotel is exceptionally blessed) and, as a result of staying during the introductory period, was not required until a scandalously decadent 4 pm. This was a great bonus.

It is thus that as an overall experience I remain slightly conflicted about the Cafe Royal. On the one hand, I have had the privilege of staying in what I am sure will become one of London's best hotels during its formative weeks. The rooms are huge by any standard and finished to the highest possible degree of quality whilst the current room rates really are exceptional value by London standards and should be grabbed upon immediately by anyone who can. Had this been simply the opening of a new hotel, I would have unreservedly recommended it as one of London's finest. To the acolytes of Cesar Ritz's gloriously and unashamedly camp ostentatious old dame on Piccadilly, mouldering in rosewater and lavender in a state of affected and unsustainable aristocratic detachment from the modern world, there is no doubt the Cafe Royal will seem stark, cold and unwelcoming. For those seeking the shiny celebrity endorsed glitzy-gilt fashionable novelty of the Bulgari Hotel, the Cafe Royal will seem too understated: too restrained in its opulence. Yet for those seeking contemporary design and comfort at its most serene, restful and grand, the Cafe Royal will be perfect. This is a niche which has never been filled in London. To the traveller (generally from mainland Europe) the new Cafe Royal is exactly what to expect from one of the best hotels in a city centre: in London, it remains a novelty which I would imagine will benefit greatly and be a trend setter for the future. I for one will certainly be back!

However, despite all of this, I cannot help but lament the mistakes which have been made. The famous Grill Room has been reduced from a glorious artistic hub to a gloomy wasteland whilst the bar (seemingly in reaction to the cool contemporary and restful opulence of the rest of the hotel) has adopted an appearance which is at best moody: at worst dreary and uncomfortable. The overbearing presence of security staff ought also to be looked at. At the Cafe Royal, Big Brother is indeed watching you and he is on every floor waiting to jump out of some hidden door to ask you what you are up to. I am sure there is a fine balance to be drawn between protecting guests from unwanted visitors in this site but other establishments like the Ritz in similarly busy thoroughfares manage to ensure security in much less intrusive ways.

My advice: stay here - and stay soon- for the truly amazing rooms. They really are the best in London at their current rate. But for a taste of fin de siècle opulence and grandeur in one of London's most beautiful spaces, eat at the Ritz. Alas the Grill Room is no more; "Gone" as Lord Byron wrote, "glimmering through the dream of things that were".

Room Tip: It is well worth requesting a room overlooking Regent Street: the views are spectacular and the quit...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank kleyden
LSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a beautifully penned and detailed review of your experience at Café Royal hotel. It is clear to see that you are very passionate about Café Royal and its famed past and I very much enjoyed reading your insight. Please let me assure you that the Grill Room still very much remains as a place where the great minds - writers, artists, poets and creatives - come together to converse late into the night. We will soon be launching the Grill Room’s historical High Tea, bringing back the golden era of London’s afternoon sophistication. As we are in the midst of becoming a luxury hotel of the 21st century I would welcome the opportunity to provide you with a personal show around at your convenience and explain the rational, endless commitment and dedication that has gone into restoring historic areas, while creating contemporary spaces that do not intrude but rather complement and respect Café Royal’s illustrious past.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We recently held our London Collections: Men runway show in the Pompadour Suite at the Cafe Royal and were thrilled with both the venue and service.
After the show we invited our guests for a glass of champagne in the Grill Room, which has been stunningly restored. Again, a splendid setting and the staff were incredibly gracious and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RJSavileRow
LSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We were delighted that you chose Café Royal as the venue for your runway show and it gave us great pleasure to see the hotel used as a key location during London Collections: Men. We very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
london
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I took 20 rooms at the hotel for a corporate booking and honestly can't fault the service, quality and atmosphere at the hotel. I was hosting a group of senior executives, with rather specific requests that were fulfilled professionally and to a very high standard. All my guests compliamented the hotel staff and room quality, some even hoping to return with their partners for a weekend trip. Whilst at first the number of staff with 'ear-pieces' walking around the hotel felt a bit like a James Bond movie, all were friendly, helpful and incredibly well informed about the hotel and it's services. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, or return to the Cafe Royal.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jo D
LSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
We are very pleased that you and your guests enjoyed Café Royal and thank you for sharing such positive feedback. We are happy to learn that we succeeded in meeting your expectations and lived up to our product promise. The team and I very much look forward to welcoming you all back individually to Café Royal hotel in the not too distant future.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 8 January 2013

As an admirer of the Old Cafe Royal, which I had already visited with my parents in its glory days, I was more than excited to find out what the Cafe Royal would become as a Hotel.

Well, they aimed at opening for the Olympics... and as of now are still not fully open, and when you stay there you "feel it".

The rooms are designed to my liking... yet for my wife they are to spartanic.
Yet technical flaws and dead sockets are then also not my joy.

The staff certainly tries, yet we have visited the empty restaurant, and the food was mediocre... with fast starters (with shells in the crab meat)... then an eternity for overcooked mains with cold sides... and then dreadfully dry dessert.

Overall, I might come back in 2015... until then, I hope they get their act together...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else until 2015 (Mandarin Oriental, Claridge's, Dorchester, Corinthia etc.)...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Carl S
LSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am pleased to hear you have an affiliation with Café Royal and hope you were able to note all the efforts made to restore the historic areas. I was of course most disappointed to read your comments with regards to the restaurant as we pride ourselves on our food and service and have received very good reviews from many of our guests so far. Clearly however we did not meet your expectations for which I sincerely apologise, please be assured we are taking every measure to rectify.
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed two nights over Christmas period during the "soft" opening. The hotel was still in snagging stage with some very real issues with the rooms eg. Electrical plugs falling off the wall and patchy in room entertainment.

The prices for the hotel are very high and (even with the introductory "discount") are not worth the money until the hotel is fully open.

The room style will not be to everyone's taste (a little like a minimalist prison cell chic kind of look around the bed), the rooms are a good size (we had a suite), the bathrooms huge.

Don't be worried about noise issues, the sound insulation is so good we could not hear anything and our room overlooked Picadilly Circus.

Give it six months before trying...

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank The_Brown71
Thank you for your useful and constructive feedback. As you realise we are still in soft opening phase but I assure you we are working tirelessly to eradicate these imperfections. Over the next coming weeks more areas will become open and available for guests to enjoy, including Mansard bedrooms with fumed oak panelled walls which may be more to your liking. Following in the spring are historical suites and the Akasha Spa and Wellbeing Centre. The team and I very much hope to welcome you back to enjoy the hotel in full.
Somerset, England
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Newly renovated, the Café Royal is a strange blend of ultra modern and classical beauty. This historic building has had some of its public areas restored to original opulence, such as the lobby, the function rooms and the amazing staircase and they are truly stunning. The dining room and the bedrooms are minimal and in my view characterless, even unpleasant to be in. We stayed in December 2012 and there were some teething problems with the room, our room keys didn't work on the fancy key system, a plug socket fell off the wall and there was a light shade missing in the bathroom. They will sort these things out no doubt as they get towards full opening. They really have overdesigned the rooms in my view, everything is unnecessarily complicated in pursuit of the super high tech and modern. Thus, you should plan to spend a good long time figuring out how to operate the B&O TV, the curtains, the lighting, everything really. It was all there to impress us, in fact I found all the gadgetry touches a bit cheesy and way too time consuming. I didn't sleep well, the enormous feather pillows had no substance to them and I struggled to find a sleeping position on them that worked. The rooms have been decorated in neutral colours but rather than wallpaper or paint on the walls there are what seem to be large rectangular concrete tiles - you can see these on their website. I hated them, it looked like a prison cell, which is not how I want my five star accommodation to feel. I had planned breakfast in bed with the newspapers the next day and whilst the breakfast was delivered in a warming oven on a trolley which turned in to a table for two and was wonderful, the newspaper wasn't delivered and I just didn't feel relaxed and comfortable lounging in the room. The most outstanding aspect of our stay was the food - it was without exception, fabulous. Try mint ice cream or rice pudding, they are the best desserts I have ever tasted. I would go here to eat again and again. I would only stay here again if a Regent Street location is essential to my plans whilst in London, otherwise, for the £350 per night price tag I would stay elsewhere and eat here.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are amazingly quiet for this type of location - the downside is that your view is...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank feedbackmatters
LSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Thank you for your constructive feedback. I'm very pleased to hear you found our culinary offerings to your liking. We have worked to sensitively restore the historical areas throughout the hotel while modernising and anchoring Café Royal’s heritage with a place in the future. The bedrooms are designed to bring the outside inside, namely the Portland stone used up and down Regent Street, this detail has been carefully replicated in bedrooms and throughout the hotel. You may like to know that we will have many more features in the hotel throughout the year, including the addition of Mansard bedrooms with fumed oak panelled walls which I believe will be much more to your liking. Your comments and patience during our opening phase is greatly appreciated, we certainly hope we will be of service to you in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We booked into Cafe Royal in its first couple of open weeks as Londoners to see how they had renovated it. There are some marvellous design touches here with retro 1930s high tech lifts and a great restoration of the grill room and ballroom. However, the rooms are ultra modern and stark with huge blank stone wall slabs and every function electronic down to the curtains! We liked the cool calm of the rooms, very large by London standards, but wondered whether some guests in the 5 star market would find them too stark compared with the opulence of Claridges or the Dorchester.The shower was awesome in a large entirely marble bathroom with nice Floris products.
Breakfast was good again in an oodly styled main restaurant room, and the staff were very friendly and helpful, though still finding their feet. We almost missed breakfast as reception said it ended at 11am on weekends when in fact it was 10.30 but the chef accommodated our late arrival.
As a suggestion, we would like to see the rooms softened up a little with some art on the walls and maybe a mirror, and some signage to reception to know who's who. I hope they thrive here

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen7
LSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, it’s great to know that the hotel is being used by those local to London as Café Royal is such an iconic part of the city’s history. We have undertaken years of careful work to sensitively store the original and precious historical features while creating contemporary spaces with the convenience of modern living. In our opening month your patience and feedback is greatly appreciated as we all work to revive this iconic London landmark and add further finishing touches and details. The team at Café Royal hotel and I hope to welcome you back again soon.