“A new promising 5 stars hotel in London”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #54 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 February 2013

The renovation of this property which took over 4 years is offering a new experience between modern and classic architecture .a wonderful job by the designers .the rooms are very nice well equipped .the bathroom is a new experience..very nice large offering a every think one wish to have . The public rooms are very nice the bar the grill room restaurant. Over all when the hotel will be complete it will make your visit to London a more comfortable one.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Yosef L
LSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about Café Royal hotel. I am very pleased to read that you not only enjoyed your stay with us, but were also able to appreciate the combination of contemporary and meticulously restored historic areas. We are in the midst of completing our final areas including Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre, our 1,200 sqm spa and gym and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this beautifully and sensitively restored iconic hotel and my great expectations were indeed fulfilled. I had a very comfortable nights sleep in a very modern Junior Suite, which seemed odd in such an old hotel but actually i think the link between old and new throughout the hotel has been very cleverly done... In any soft opening you expect teething problems so yes agreed the bedroom could do with a mirror and a plug for the hairdryer nearby and the many switches are a little complex but I am sure this will all be straightened out soon. I had the pleasure of enjoying a glass of champagne (or two) in the new champagne bar which has been carefully restored and had a very tasty breakfast before departure - all in all I would definitely recommend a stay and hope to return again some day soon to see further rennovations/developements.

Room Tip: The rooms over Regent Street are a must - spectacular views & so quiet with great soundproofing!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Emma M

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at Café Royal hotel. I am happy to know that our facilities and Junior Suite met with your expectations. Your comments have been duly noted and rest assured we are working to resolve any remaining imperfections. I am looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

My husband suggested drinks in the Grill Room here for Valentine's Day after reading about the hotel's makeover in a magazine. When I called to ask if we needed to make a reservation I was told they don't make them for the bar. So when we arrived and were asked if we had a reservation, it was somewhat puzzling. I told the girl I was advised they don't take bookings and she said it didn't matter (perhaps they only reserve for hotel guests?).
That matter aside everything else was delightful. We were shown to a table for two and ordered a bottle of champagne. The waitress regularly popped past to top up our glasses and as well as a bowl of nuts we were offered complimentary amuse bouche's of chilled trout (very tasty).
Live music started mid-evening with a pretty voiced jazz singer and musicians of a good standard, which added to the vintage vibe of the bar.
The decor is pretty stunning - art deco glam giving a totally different vibe to the rest of Picadilly Circus on the hotel's doorstep.
When I asked for directions to the bathroom, I was walked round by a member of staff and we were offered a cab by the doorman as we left.
A classy place, which yes is pricey but worth it for a special evening.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your comments on the Grill Room and our apologies for the confusion - a reservation will soon be required only after 9.00pm. I am glad to read that you enjoyed Valentine’s Day at Café Royal hotel and hope to welcome you back to mark many more occasions.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

incufficient necessities in room:-

clock
mirror
dressing table
hairdryer in bathroom - not transferrable

lighting rather high tech and too intricate to be bothered with 'sorting out' if I were a male guest I expect it would have been delightful along with the state of art B&O TV.

Upon arrival my I was aghast at the decor in the room - very satark & minimalistic again not to my liking but perhaps more toward a male perspective

bed and linen top quality - to be expected for this hotel
Staff were efficient, attentive and extremely helpful
complimentary bottle of champagne - no complaints there.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Marian R

I greatly appreciate your observations and thank you for staying with us. We will soon have beautifully appointed Mansard Rooms that feature fumed oak panelling and six Historic Suites that may be more to your liking. Thank you for your comments on our colleagues, I’m pleased to read they were able to deliver our service promise and will sure to pass on your kind words. I look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

There are, even in the luxury category, hotels that are merely places to spend the night. There are some, that obviously strive for perfection. And then there are those rare hotels that make a lasting impression. To me, the Cafe Royal definitely is one of the latter.
It's very obvious that the overall design of the hotel is very well thought trough; new and old are mixed in a very coherent way without any compromise. That all results in very soothing and elegant surroundings. Add to that a perfect location and you'd wonder if it could get any better.
Well actually, it does. All of the above is the backdrop for the staff that really impressed me with genuinely attentive service. No "I'll smile because that's in my job descreption", but true heartfelt attention, on all levels. That above everything else makes me want to return to this this hotel. Really, thumbs up for the staff.

The junior suite I stayed in had a very light and airy and uncluttered feel to it, with plenty of natural light (but no noise from the busy Regentstreet below at all); the all marble bathroom, soaking tub and separate shower were very spacious.
There's room for improvement in a few minor details I noticed. The clear glass of the light fixtures on the ceiling of the room looked smudged at places, which distracts from the design. Movement of the wooden chair at the desk in the room above created quite a lot of noise in my room and I suppose I may have caused some in the room below. Some felt pads could easily fix that. And the red light of the smoke detector right above the bed blinks annoyingly visible when the lights in the room are off.
Really not a minor detail though, I found the poor drainage in the shower. While enjoying the rain shower, I unknowingly flooded all of the bathroom and the separate toilet area, so much so that the water could have ran on to the wooden floor in the room had I showered a bit longer. Clearly the floor in the shower does not tilt enough, or the wrong way. That may be a problem that occurs only in this particular room, but the unsurprised reaction of the housekeeper indicates it could just as well be a bigger problem. Keeping in mind that the hotel had been open relatively shortly when I stayed there, these flaws will most likely soon be a thing of the past.
So I highly recommend The Café Royal. Even though I would rather keep this gem to myself …

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words about Café Royal hotel and also for your constructive feedback. We are nearing conclusion of our soft opening period and have been working tirelessly to eradicate these flaws and imperfections. I hope you will return later in the year to enjoy more of the hotel, including the Akasha Holilstic Wellbeing Centre and six Historic Suites.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

We popped into the Cafe Royal bar between a matinee show and dinner. This bar really shouldn't work - it is all marble and minimalist with very few soft furnishings to soften noise but strangely it does work. It works mainly because the staff are very good. There is an excellent choice of wine, cocktails and spirits and if you want a quite sit down rather than crushed West End pub this will tick the box. Prices are what you would expect for the type of establishment - £14 for a vesper Martini.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on The Bar at Café Royal hotel. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed both the surroundings and the selection of drinks. I’ll be sure to pass this onto our colleagues in The Bar and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

My husband and I were looking for a nice, quiet place to have dessert when we decided to check out this newly reopened Cafe Royal. We were warmly greeted by the doorman and when my husband asked him if they had a nice restaurant which serves good desserts as a sweet ending to a birthday dinner (we dined in a nearby restaurant), the doorman enthusiastically escorted us into the hotel and introduced us to his colleague who welcomed us at the Ten Room. Without even tasting the desserts, we were already impressed. I had the Coconut Sorbet
Roasted king pineapple with chilli and rum which was absolutely divine while my husband had the blackberry creme brulee (almost perfect.....could have had a more crisp topping). We had dessert wines to go with it and were served some nice truffles and macaroons after. What a lovely time we had....we'll certainly come back for more!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our Ten Room at Café Royal hotel. I’m glad we were able to contribute to your birthday celebration and look forward welcoming you back again soon.