“The best of historical bygone era and minimalist modern”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #45 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Cafe Royal has re launched as a 5* hotel having acquired neighboring buildings and so the cafe royal and all its history is at the centre of everything. The rooms are large comfortable and have all the touches you expect from a top hotel, but they are a contrast to the old world charm of the original building. So dont be shocked by that, just enjoy the contrast and the efficiency of the rooms.

The photos of the rooms on the website do not really do them justice, we stayed in a Portland room and its hard to capture something so stripped back and minimalist in a shot. Black-out curtains really work and the glazing keeps out every noise.

Staff are fantastic and the service was superb. Everyone seemed genuinely warm and friendly as well as ultra efficient. Concierge guys were fantastic at running about grabbing cabs off Regent Street, there seemed like a dozen, or else it was three guys running about a lot.

Great location and an easy walk to all the West End attractions. It was great to get into town and see London as the tourist does. Having grown up in the south east and been in and out of town all my life its amazing how staying somewhere special gives you a completely different feel for a place you know so well.

If you don't know London, a nice early morning walk (which we did) is cross Piccadilly Circus, walk down Regent Street into Waterloo Place, cross The Mall and continue until you reach wide steps that take you down to The Mall. Cross The Mall (Buckingham Palace is to your right as you cross). Go into St James Park and walk down with the Lake on your left, cross the bridge and you get two great views. Turn left over the bridge and walk back towards the top of the park and Horse Guards Road. Now go across Horse Guards Parade ground (its to the left as you cross the road) and through the arch onto Whitehall. Stopping to take the obligatory photos with the Guardsman. Turn left back up to Trafalgar Square and then back to Piccadilly. Takes and 45 minutes to an hour at a leisurely pace.

PS the staff will offer to show you around the historical part of the Cafe so leave your bags and say yes.

Have fun, enjoy London, and the Cafe Royal. I would recommend due to location, attentiveness of genuinely friendly staff, and the mix of old and new.

Room Tip: The Portland rooms look more bright and airy than the Mansard rooms which are darker and wood panele...
1  Thank SteveWR
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you very much for leaving such a warm review after your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I was so happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that our central London location and Portland guestroom accommodation were so much to your liking. I was so pleased to read you enjoyed all the little touches we provide to make our guests stay just that extra bit special.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Please do come and stay with us again in the near future so we can again meet your expectations or even exceed them.

My kindest regards

There are newer reviews for Hotel Cafe Royal

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Didn't know what to expect when I booked but we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very modern and well decorated, reminding me of some of the Park Hyatt hotels I have stayed in. The power outlets are hidden in the floor so you don't even see them on the wall. The sound proofing was amazing. We were at a corner room looking out onto Regent Street and Piccadilly square and we did not hear anything. Not even when buses went by. I especially love the large marble bathroom and spacious shower. Definitely check out the hotel pictures before you book. If you don't like modern design or you prefer "traditional" english decor, then this hotel is not for you.

The location is great, especially if you are a tourist. You are in the center of Soho, Mayfair, and Covent Garden. Walking distance to Chinatown and theater district also. Wholefoods is right next door and it suited us perfectly as we are snobbish New Yorkers who only buy healthy, local, organic food.

The staff members were very attentive. There was a leak from the AC which resulted in a puddle of water in my room. I was immediately offered a new room and then got the old room back after the problem was fixed on the same day. This is all because I mentioned that I preferred the first room better as it was slightly bigger and had a better layout. Thanks to David Doyle for diligently following up on that. (And he's cute too.)

The down pillows were not very comfortable. They flatten too easily. They invested so much in other things, why not quality pillows?

The Grill room was great to have a drink and relax, with wonderful ambience. The Bar, not so great.

Had breakfast at the cafe. The items are very pricey, but breakfast was included with my stay, so it didn't affect us. I wouldn't pay those prices if breakfast was not included. The wait staff was very courteous and very smiley. Sometimes the service could be slow when it's busy, and they appear a little disorganized.

There were always a few doormen hanging out at the side entrance, and not sure what their purpose was by standing there. Sometimes they actually block the door by standing around chatting to each other.

The pool and gym were not open, which didn't affect us this time. But I wish they had at least let people know at the time of booking, and not after, especially it was a non-refundable rate.

Another (minor) thing was the HDMI input was working in one room but not another. Told the front desk and someone came to look at it, but it was never fixed. This is probably not a huge issue for most people as not many people actually bring an HDMI cable to connect their computer to the TV when they travel. Yep, I am a geek.

Overall, very comfortable stay. Not inexpensive, but also not outrageous when compared to hotel rates in London.

2  Thank WilAndGabe
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Thank you very much for staying at Café Royal hotel and for your detailed comments of your time with us. My apologies for the technical imperfections and thank you for your kind words about David; it will give me great pleasure to share them with both him and the team. While I have noted your observations about our entrance coverage and will ensure we improve in this area, I am sorry that you were not informed that our brand new Akasha Spa and Pool facilities are now available for hotel guests weekdays from 2pm - 9pm and weekends 8am to 8pm and that we have full sets of cables for our media hubs available by request. We very much appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards

Reviewed 17 September 2013

First It is only fair to point out that this hotel has just opened and, in fact, the spa opened while my guests were staying ,for the opening part of fashion week .
Booking (for third party guests via mobile phone ,even though reservations are surprising closed on sunday, was hassle free (no ghastly centralised system) . However with the booking confirmatiom e-mail came a form to be filled in re payment , this was in PDF form so almost impossible to open on Apple equipment (esp mobiles) , and totally impossible to fill in via blackberry . This lead to many wasted hours and for three people when check out time came , in fact a whole afternoon wasted .
Systems always seem to be introduced for the benefit of the business and not for customer, futhermore once in place no one in management seems to check the systems as if they were a customer .
Having said this , The manager Edward Young moved quickly when he realised the issue ,he was extremely polite, helpful and efficient , in short he situation was very well managed .
The rooms are very well laid out and well equiped as are the bathrooms .There was an equipment failure in one room with mirror lighting ( seems to be similar to a review by Charles d) ut this was effiecently delat with . Room service is good. The Atmosphere is calm and elegant. The food is good and the bar is comfortable with good service . The staff are well trained ,polite and efficient especially given that they have limited time to work together as a team .
This Cafe Royal has the potential to be one of the best Hotels in London , lets hope it achieves that as some competition is certainly needed , with may of the 5* hotels becoming complacent re their service .
I (we) would not hesitate to recommend this new Hotel, the only reason it did not get a 5 star rating is simply early opening 'teething' troubles .
A finally point , given the location (which is very central in piccadilly) taxi's are hard to find , a hotel car service would perhaps be of get added value ??

Room Tip: due to a lack of investment in sound reducton , avoid the rooms over regent street , so go for the s...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind comments and I am sorry if the current reservation technology has caused you inconvenience. We certainly will re-test all our systems to ensure a seamless reservation procedure. I am happy to read that Edward was able to turn the situation around and as you rightly observed, we are in the soft opening stages of a brand new hotel and can assure you that all our colleagues are working tirelessly to iron out any tangible and intangible imperfections. Thank you for your compliments on our staff services and for staying with us. We hope to have the opportunity welcoming you back again to Café Royal hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stayed in the Cafe Royal in September 2013 with my girlfriend after finding that there weren't all that many cheaper hotels in London available. The cost was between £400-£500 for a Portland Deluxe room for the night, which they also described as a junior suite when we arrived.

The hotel's location is perfect, being a 30 second walk down Regent Street from the heart of Piccadilly Circus.

On arrival, we were greeted by very well turned out doormen and very warmly welcomed by the reception staff. And were utterly blown away by the interior. This is a seriously swanky hotel. We were quickly checked in by Alex, the receptionist, and he then took us around the hotel facilities before taking us up to our room, going through stunningly appointed corridors.

The room itself was absolutely stunning. An enormous bed, lovely furnishings and a gigantic bathroom with a brilliant shower and very large bath. The TV in the bathroom mirror and speakers throughout the bathroom were a brilliant touch.

After heading out to a show, we came back to the hotel to get changed and found it had been prepared for bed, with the bedding turned down, our luggage (which we'd dumped!) nicely arranged, the bathroom cleaned again and a pair of slippers and towels left by the bed - brilliant!

After the show we went into the hotel bar, which was really nice. The only real downside is that the barstaff weren't quiet up to the standard I'd have hoped for. On my girlfriend asking what cognacs were available, the barman just listed them out in a hard to hear way (the music was loud-ish), turning his back, which made making an informed choice difficult. He did the same when I asked about bourbons and then poured a single rather than the double I'd requested. It's not a big thing, and I know it sounds terribly snobby, but we had no idea if we were ordering £10 brandies or £300 cognacs - a real possibility in the hotel!

Anyway, we went up to bed and the room was nice a cool with the climate control and almost completely silent due to the fabulous windows and blackout curtains (remote controlled, of course). The bed was incredibly comfortable.

With a checkin time of 2pm and a checkout of noon, this is a perfect hotel for going to a show, or potentially spending a longer time if on business (and your work is paying for it!). It's immaculately presented, very well staffed and a real WOW experience. But, is also the same price for one night as a week's holiday somewhere else!

With breakfast being £32 each (!!!) we didn't bother and went to a cafe over the road.

1  Thank Paul C
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Thank you very much for you kindly penned experience at Café Royal hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed all our facilities and quality of the hotel. My apologies for your less than perfect experience in The Bar but; I would like to assure you that we take your feedback very seriously and will ensure all our staff are up to mark and their product knowledge continuously enhanced. Thank you for staying with us and we certainly hope to be of service to you both in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 September 2013

My boyfriend booked one night here through one of those websites with offers. The offer included dinner but we had already booked dinner somewhere else. Luckily they were very understanding and gave us a free bottle of Champagne as well as a room upgrade to make up for the price of the dinner that we were not going to have there. Amazing rooms, amazing hotel, great service! Just spent 1 night there and would definitely go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind comments and for staying with us at Café Royal hotel. We are very happy that you enjoyed your experience and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed 15 September 2013

It was an excellent experience to be here.The staff is so friendly and helpful and always wearing a smile on their faces.The concierge was more than helpful.We luved our stay there.Wud indeed luv to come back.

• Stayed: September 2013
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your kind words about Café Royal hotel, the team in particular. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Well, it''s very expensive at £400 a night, and nothing in the mini bar under £5. £5 for water, coke etc: £45 for a half bottle of average white wine. Breakfasts is average and extortionately expensive. So, is it worth it ?
Well it's a great central location, but you can hear the noise of Regent Street and the ajoining streets at night - there seems to have been little investment in the sound proofing.
Well, it's a bit cramped as a hotel with a kaleidescope of design styles. Or should I say 'eclectic' : there is a lot of Napoleonic crests around downstairs mixed with aristoractic ancien regime styles (madame pompadour rooms), then, the dark, cramped room corridors take us to a copy of the minimalist Japanese hotel Okura in Tokyo, then, in the rooms its ultra modern white mock brick walls. You need to be a lighting engineer to work out the internal lights. There is a nice mock stone white bath and good bathrooms. The wi fi is unfussy, 'free' (see room charges) and works well. My full length mirror fell off the door while I was there, but it was reparied quickly. In a three day trip, my door key had to be changed three times, as it failed to open the door.
The downstairs bar is very average and - you guessed it - very expensive for a very ordinary place. The breakfast bar is open plan like an airport lounge - and, like all London restraunts, full of Eastern European staff with hit or miss, but well meaning service. Continental breakfast of croissant, bread and coffee - £26 !
Service is very courteous, as it ought to be with such high prices. there are a lot of dark suited young men hanging around not seeming to be doing anything very much. I did not get a chance to visit the gym/spa so can't comment.
So, a hotel, with some good things to commend it, notably location, but clearly living off the brand name of its illustrious neighbouring restraunt, but something of a mish mash of traditional design, eclectic styles and modern electronics - as if it was designed by a committee of people who couldn't agree on the style.
totally overpriced for what you get, a fancy name and good location flatter to deceive....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank Charles d

Thank you very much for your detailed review of Café Royal hotel. I am sorry that I didn't get a chance to meet you personally during your stay as it would have been my pleasure to show you Café Royal hotel in full, explain the story behind the historically listed Napoleon motifs and explain the architect’s vision of combining historic spaces from 1865 to 1920 with contemporary elements of the 21st century; such as the copper and frosted corridor panels modelled on old British fire doors, or the white mock brick walls inspired by the Portland stone façades of Regent Street.

I was very surprised to read about sounds penetrating from the streets as we know that our guestrooms are the quietest in Europe and we will certainly investigate this further. I will also contact you via email in the hope of discussing this with you further and to ensure we follow up on all your comments and concerns.

Yours sincerely