“Timeless elegance and modernity...........”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #51 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed at this fabulous hotel in early September this year and was well impressed! The purpose of the stay was to treat my mum who had never visited London before. It is without question the service from the staff was nothing short of amazing....We were given an overview of the hotel's history and little tour as part of the check in process. Our Portland Room was beautiful and the touch sensor lighting and tv component in the bathroom mirror were funky touches! The soundproofing in the rooms is incredible given the central location on Regent Street. Even the four lifts were of a bygone era and The Grill Room is just like stepping back in time..........Breakfast was excellent and the service as we came to expect was first class. A great location, beautiful classical elegance yet contemporary and I will definitely book this hotel as my first choice. Mum doesn't know it yet, but I will be booking another little visit to The Cafe Royal for her birthday in March of next year!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Café Royal hotel with us. I am very happy by your kind comments regarding our staff and am pleased that we were able to demonstrate how important customer service is to us. I am delighted to read of your appreciation of the carefully restored historic areas and our spacious accommodation and that the triple-glazed whisper quiet guestrooms were so well received. I have shared your very kind comments regarding my team and we all thank you for your patronage. We hope to have the opportunity to offer our services again to you for your mother’s birthday in March.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed at the Café Royal to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The hotel is conveniently located next to Piccadilly Circus, close to excellent shopping and just a few minutes walk from many major London attractions and popular theatres. The hotel has recently undergone a major restoration and the blend of minimalist and art deco has been superbly executed. Our suite was superb with an amazing Carrera Marble bath. The service was impeccable and we would like to make special mention of Laure, fluent in English and French, who made us most welcome. An excellent hotel with superb standards of service located in the heart of Central London. Highly recommended!

2  Thank click_testa
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and we are very happy you chose us to host such a special occasion. I am pleased to hear your appreciation of the renovation of the hotel and the special added touches to our suites that are designed for the 21st century traveller. David Chipperfield Architects was the lead architect in the hotel restoration, where modern elegance has been carefully paired with historical style and glamour. I will pass on your kind words to Laure and the rest of the team and I hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed at the Café Royal for one night at the end of July and had a most enjoyable time.
The hotel has only opened in December and everything has been done to the highest specifications. The rooms are in two different designs. One of which has wood panelling all over the walls, the other has white walls imitating the stones used on the outside of the building. The bathrooms are absolutely beautiful. Carrera marble has been used everywhere…on the floors, the walls, the sinks, the bath…absolutely gorgeous. It is also nice to see that the hairdryer does have more power than the usual you find in hotels all over the world. There is a TV in the bathroom mirror which is a very cute touch.
The whole design is very minimalistic which normally isn’t so much to our taste, but the quality of the design is so high that we could not help but like it.
The position of the hotel of course is great. Right at the end of Regent Street, literally on Piccadilly Circus. Despite this, not a sound from outside was entering our room.
Service at this hotel also goes without saying is wonderful.
The pool and gym area had not yet been completed but we could use the facilities of the Meridien Hotel just round the corner. I do however look forward to going back when the work has been completed as I am sure it would add to the wonderful experience of staying at this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Many thanks for penning your kind words following your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am heartened by your kind comments regarding your appreciation of the contemporary design of the hotel. We have sensitively restored all areas of historic interest, while ensuring comfort for the modern traveller, including triple glazing for complete whisper quietness within the centre of London. Our guestrooms are some of the largest in London and we take pride that each feels almost like a suite or private apartment. We thank you for your appreciation of our hand carved white Carrara marble bathroom.

You will be pleased to note that our Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre is open to hotel guests and I very much hope to have the pleasure of your patronage again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Cafe Royal has re launched as a 5* hotel having acquired neighboring buildings and so the cafe royal and all its history is at the centre of everything. The rooms are large comfortable and have all the touches you expect from a top hotel, but they are a contrast to the old world charm of the original building. So dont be shocked by that, just enjoy the contrast and the efficiency of the rooms.

The photos of the rooms on the website do not really do them justice, we stayed in a Portland room and its hard to capture something so stripped back and minimalist in a shot. Black-out curtains really work and the glazing keeps out every noise.

Staff are fantastic and the service was superb. Everyone seemed genuinely warm and friendly as well as ultra efficient. Concierge guys were fantastic at running about grabbing cabs off Regent Street, there seemed like a dozen, or else it was three guys running about a lot.

Great location and an easy walk to all the West End attractions. It was great to get into town and see London as the tourist does. Having grown up in the south east and been in and out of town all my life its amazing how staying somewhere special gives you a completely different feel for a place you know so well.

If you don't know London, a nice early morning walk (which we did) is cross Piccadilly Circus, walk down Regent Street into Waterloo Place, cross The Mall and continue until you reach wide steps that take you down to The Mall. Cross The Mall (Buckingham Palace is to your right as you cross). Go into St James Park and walk down with the Lake on your left, cross the bridge and you get two great views. Turn left over the bridge and walk back towards the top of the park and Horse Guards Road. Now go across Horse Guards Parade ground (its to the left as you cross the road) and through the arch onto Whitehall. Stopping to take the obligatory photos with the Guardsman. Turn left back up to Trafalgar Square and then back to Piccadilly. Takes and 45 minutes to an hour at a leisurely pace.

PS the staff will offer to show you around the historical part of the Cafe so leave your bags and say yes.

Have fun, enjoy London, and the Cafe Royal. I would recommend due to location, attentiveness of genuinely friendly staff, and the mix of old and new.

Room Tip: The Portland rooms look more bright and airy than the Mansard rooms which are darker and wood panele...
1  Thank SteveWR

Thank you very much for leaving such a warm review after your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I was so happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that our central London location and Portland guestroom accommodation were so much to your liking. I was so pleased to read you enjoyed all the little touches we provide to make our guests stay just that extra bit special.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Please do come and stay with us again in the near future so we can again meet your expectations or even exceed them.

My kindest regards

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Didn't know what to expect when I booked but we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very modern and well decorated, reminding me of some of the Park Hyatt hotels I have stayed in. The power outlets are hidden in the floor so you don't even see them on the wall. The sound proofing was amazing. We were at a corner room looking out onto Regent Street and Piccadilly square and we did not hear anything. Not even when buses went by. I especially love the large marble bathroom and spacious shower. Definitely check out the hotel pictures before you book. If you don't like modern design or you prefer "traditional" english decor, then this hotel is not for you.

The location is great, especially if you are a tourist. You are in the center of Soho, Mayfair, and Covent Garden. Walking distance to Chinatown and theater district also. Wholefoods is right next door and it suited us perfectly as we are snobbish New Yorkers who only buy healthy, local, organic food.

The staff members were very attentive. There was a leak from the AC which resulted in a puddle of water in my room. I was immediately offered a new room and then got the old room back after the problem was fixed on the same day. This is all because I mentioned that I preferred the first room better as it was slightly bigger and had a better layout. Thanks to David Doyle for diligently following up on that. (And he's cute too.)

The down pillows were not very comfortable. They flatten too easily. They invested so much in other things, why not quality pillows?

The Grill room was great to have a drink and relax, with wonderful ambience. The Bar, not so great.

Had breakfast at the cafe. The items are very pricey, but breakfast was included with my stay, so it didn't affect us. I wouldn't pay those prices if breakfast was not included. The wait staff was very courteous and very smiley. Sometimes the service could be slow when it's busy, and they appear a little disorganized.

There were always a few doormen hanging out at the side entrance, and not sure what their purpose was by standing there. Sometimes they actually block the door by standing around chatting to each other.

The pool and gym were not open, which didn't affect us this time. But I wish they had at least let people know at the time of booking, and not after, especially it was a non-refundable rate.

Another (minor) thing was the HDMI input was working in one room but not another. Told the front desk and someone came to look at it, but it was never fixed. This is probably not a huge issue for most people as not many people actually bring an HDMI cable to connect their computer to the TV when they travel. Yep, I am a geek.

Overall, very comfortable stay. Not inexpensive, but also not outrageous when compared to hotel rates in London.

2  Thank WilAndGabe
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Thank you very much for staying at Café Royal hotel and for your detailed comments of your time with us. My apologies for the technical imperfections and thank you for your kind words about David; it will give me great pleasure to share them with both him and the team. While I have noted your observations about our entrance coverage and will ensure we improve in this area, I am sorry that you were not informed that our brand new Akasha Spa and Pool facilities are now available for hotel guests weekdays from 2pm - 9pm and weekends 8am to 8pm and that we have full sets of cables for our media hubs available by request. We very much appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards

Reviewed 17 September 2013

First It is only fair to point out that this hotel has just opened and, in fact, the spa opened while my guests were staying ,for the opening part of fashion week .
Booking (for third party guests via mobile phone ,even though reservations are surprising closed on sunday, was hassle free (no ghastly centralised system) . However with the booking confirmatiom e-mail came a form to be filled in re payment , this was in PDF form so almost impossible to open on Apple equipment (esp mobiles) , and totally impossible to fill in via blackberry . This lead to many wasted hours and for three people when check out time came , in fact a whole afternoon wasted .
Systems always seem to be introduced for the benefit of the business and not for customer, futhermore once in place no one in management seems to check the systems as if they were a customer .
Having said this , The manager Edward Young moved quickly when he realised the issue ,he was extremely polite, helpful and efficient , in short he situation was very well managed .
The rooms are very well laid out and well equiped as are the bathrooms .There was an equipment failure in one room with mirror lighting ( seems to be similar to a review by Charles d) ut this was effiecently delat with . Room service is good. The Atmosphere is calm and elegant. The food is good and the bar is comfortable with good service . The staff are well trained ,polite and efficient especially given that they have limited time to work together as a team .
This Cafe Royal has the potential to be one of the best Hotels in London , lets hope it achieves that as some competition is certainly needed , with may of the 5* hotels becoming complacent re their service .
I (we) would not hesitate to recommend this new Hotel, the only reason it did not get a 5 star rating is simply early opening 'teething' troubles .
A finally point , given the location (which is very central in piccadilly) taxi's are hard to find , a hotel car service would perhaps be of get added value ??

Room Tip: due to a lack of investment in sound reducton , avoid the rooms over regent street , so go for the s...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind comments and I am sorry if the current reservation technology has caused you inconvenience. We certainly will re-test all our systems to ensure a seamless reservation procedure. I am happy to read that Edward was able to turn the situation around and as you rightly observed, we are in the soft opening stages of a brand new hotel and can assure you that all our colleagues are working tirelessly to iron out any tangible and intangible imperfections. Thank you for your compliments on our staff services and for staying with us. We hope to have the opportunity welcoming you back again to Café Royal hotel.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stayed in the Cafe Royal in September 2013 with my girlfriend after finding that there weren't all that many cheaper hotels in London available. The cost was between £400-£500 for a Portland Deluxe room for the night, which they also described as a junior suite when we arrived.

The hotel's location is perfect, being a 30 second walk down Regent Street from the heart of Piccadilly Circus.

On arrival, we were greeted by very well turned out doormen and very warmly welcomed by the reception staff. And were utterly blown away by the interior. This is a seriously swanky hotel. We were quickly checked in by Alex, the receptionist, and he then took us around the hotel facilities before taking us up to our room, going through stunningly appointed corridors.

The room itself was absolutely stunning. An enormous bed, lovely furnishings and a gigantic bathroom with a brilliant shower and very large bath. The TV in the bathroom mirror and speakers throughout the bathroom were a brilliant touch.

After heading out to a show, we came back to the hotel to get changed and found it had been prepared for bed, with the bedding turned down, our luggage (which we'd dumped!) nicely arranged, the bathroom cleaned again and a pair of slippers and towels left by the bed - brilliant!

After the show we went into the hotel bar, which was really nice. The only real downside is that the barstaff weren't quiet up to the standard I'd have hoped for. On my girlfriend asking what cognacs were available, the barman just listed them out in a hard to hear way (the music was loud-ish), turning his back, which made making an informed choice difficult. He did the same when I asked about bourbons and then poured a single rather than the double I'd requested. It's not a big thing, and I know it sounds terribly snobby, but we had no idea if we were ordering £10 brandies or £300 cognacs - a real possibility in the hotel!

Anyway, we went up to bed and the room was nice a cool with the climate control and almost completely silent due to the fabulous windows and blackout curtains (remote controlled, of course). The bed was incredibly comfortable.

With a checkin time of 2pm and a checkout of noon, this is a perfect hotel for going to a show, or potentially spending a longer time if on business (and your work is paying for it!). It's immaculately presented, very well staffed and a real WOW experience. But, is also the same price for one night as a week's holiday somewhere else!

With breakfast being £32 each (!!!) we didn't bother and went to a cafe over the road.

1  Thank Paul C
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Thank you very much for you kindly penned experience at Café Royal hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed all our facilities and quality of the hotel. My apologies for your less than perfect experience in The Bar but; I would like to assure you that we take your feedback very seriously and will ensure all our staff are up to mark and their product knowledge continuously enhanced. Thank you for staying with us and we certainly hope to be of service to you both in the future.