“Excellent location, 5 star rooms & housekeeping, breakfast service needs to improve”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #49 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Have stayed at Cafe Royal twice, once private for three nights in July, once for business in September. In my review I focus on the second stay.

Being a Leader's Club member I was upgraded to a beautiful Deluxe Room directly facing Picadilly. You can see the view in the picture attached to this review. I've stayed in three different rooms and they were all nice and the bathrooms great.

Here's the summary of my stays.

What I liked:

+ Hairdryer in the bathroom (yes - really!) This is the first UK hotel where you don't have to sit at your desk to dry your hair!
+ Nespresso machine in the rooms
+ Modern design (but that's a matter of taste)
+ Excellent soundproof windows (facing Regent Street, you did not hear the noise from there)
+ Beautiful conversion of a historical building - outstanding stair cases, nice lift door concept

What I didn't like:

- The light switches in the room. You are prone to accidently switch on (or off) all lights in the room when you don't want to.
- Lack of a "Lobby" - there is an entrance from Regent Street with two chairs and a flower arrangement. It's gorgeous but not a lobby
- Staff at breakfast forget things, mix up orders, etc. They removed my milk while I still had a pot of tea to finish, they forgot my toast (while they had brought jam & butter), etc. It was bad in July and it has not improved by September.
- So far, they didn't manage to get the bar going even though it's a beautiful room with mirrors like Versailles. We came in for a night cap on a Friday night after drinks at the "W" hotel and then at the Sanderson. Both bars were packed with people, but Café Royal bar was practically empty. And expensive :-(

Room Tip: Get a room facing Regent Street. They have more light and don't worry about the noise - the wind...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ralf H
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you taking the time to provide such a detailed review on your second stay with us. I am very happy to hear your appreciation for the renovation of the hotel and the design details that makes Café Royal hotel a contemporary and luxurious hotel for 21st Century travellers. David Chipperfield Architects was the lead architect in the hotels restoration, where modern elegance has been carefully paired with historical style and glamour. We are also pleased that you enjoyed the special touches we add to our suites and hope this added to the comfort of your stay.

I was disappointed to learn of your experience during breakfast and at The Bar as our customer service is paramount to us at the hotel and I apologise that the service was not to your expectations. We appreciate any feedback and with your comments in mind I would be keen to talk to you personally and have sent you my contact details.

Once again thank you for your comments and we do hope to welcome you back again to Café Royal hotel.

Kind regards

Louis Sailer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,441)

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We had an early dinner before going to a first night at the ballet. The food and service were
excellent. Our room was extremely comfortable and the whole atmosphere was wonderful.
Would certainly be very happy to stay there again and hopefully for longer than one night!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary G

Thank you for choosing to stay at Café Royal hotel for your night at the ballet. I am very pleased to read your kind comments regarding our cuisine and guestrooms and I have passed on your thanks to the team. We hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Did a four night stay 9/30 to 10/4 in a Portland deluxe room - found the whole experience compelling

Check in was easy - escoted to my room by a lovely young woman who reminded me how to work the lighting systems and shower functions. Room was compelet with a desk for working two chairs a large dressing area and a luxurious marble bath (actually teh whole room is marble, but you have probably seen that on the web site)

Service wa sperfect wit wake up calls on time, room service exactly as promised and garment pressing and cleaning delivered exactly when needed. Hotel bar is fun an d lively, restaurant ok, ets part is teh home made butter for breakfast pastries.

They have added a cafe to pick up coffees and pastries which is welcome.

Overall teh staff to guest ratio seems incrdibly high, there are people always ready to be helpful, but inside an doutside teh hotel

The location of teh property is its best assett, right on Picadilly and close to both the piccadilly and central tube lines

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review about Café Royal hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your second stay for four nights with us. I am very pleased to hear you experienced such excellent service and that our restaurant, café and bar were to your liking. We are also very happy to learn of your appreciation for the design of the guestrooms and are glad you enjoyed the central location of the hotel. Thank you from all of the team, for your detailed review of the hotel and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to Café Royal hotel.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Great hotel, excellent location, Yummy breakfast, beautiful design.
Sure we will be back. from the moment we arrived we felt so nice and warm. the crew was very polite and helpfull and this is one of the most important things for me when i am traviling in another country.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at Café Royal hotel. Our customers are paramount to us and I am heartened by your kind comments regarding the staff and service you received at the hotel. I am pleased that the design and atmosphere of the hotel was so well received as well and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 3 October 2013

A fantastic hotel in great location. Rooms are wonderful and very quiet even those on Regent Street. Service is excellent and could not be faulted. Highly recommended and would most definitely return on other visits to London.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for choosing Café Royal hotel and providing such kind feedback. I am gladdened by your positive comments about our service and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return to London.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We had an excellent pre-theatre dinner in the Grill Room recently. We really could not fault anything about the evening.

The room has been refurbished to a very high quality, providing a very elegant backdrop for a lovely experience.

The food was excellent, the portions proper, and the service was attentive without being cloying. The manager paid special attention to us, topping up my date's champagne when I arrived rather late. Little things make a big difference, and the Grill Room is getting these things right.

I am looking forward to another meal here, on my next trip to London.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent visit to the Grill Room at Café Royal hotel. I was delighted you enjoyed your experience and thank you for your very kind endorsement. I am very happy that the services from the team were able to make that special difference. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and to possibly experiencing Café Royal hotel.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Called in for afternoon coffees and I must say the iced lattes that my son and I had were fantastic, beautiful rich taste without any bitterness whatsoever, my wife also enjoyed her hot latte, served at a perfect temperature and in the most superb double skinned glass, the service was flawless, the staff immaculately presented, attentive, warm smiles on our arrival and a wonderful farewell on departure.
Overall in this age of the 'get them in, get them out' approach, the Royal is a very welcome change for an unhurried drink, the pattiserie counter looked beautiful, but my diabetes held me back.
Rating of five out of five hardly does the establishment justice.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback and taking the time to pen your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit to The Café at Café Royal Hotel. I was delighted to read all the little touches we provide were a success and that the service you received from my team was so well received.

My sincere thanks for taking the time to write this review; please do come and visit us again in the near future

With kindest regards