“Absolutely superb lunch”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #54 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We were invited to Cafe Royal for a lunch, we were greeted by the restaurant manager who showed us to our table. We ate a three course lunch interspersed with little tasters. Our waiter, Emile, was very polite but also amusing, he helped us with our choice of food, he obviously has very good taste because our lunch was just amazing.
We would definitely recommend the Ten Room at Cafe Royal.
We thank Louis Sailer for his kind invitation.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TeddyWeaver
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about your dining experience in the Ten Room at Café Royal hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed the cuisine offered and I will be sure to pass on your comments to Executive Chef Andrew Turner and his culinary team. Thank you also for your kind words regarding the service you received and we will pass these on to Emile and the team. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Despite its location on the fringe of Piccadilly Circus, the Cafe Royal Hotel manages to provide a huge contrast to the madness outside. The original parts of the grand old building are exquisite. For some, the rest of the minimal modern decor and architecture may seem a bit cold (this was my impression at first, though I love modern design). However - if a room with a nice set of windows or view is requested, the hotel will be calm by day and provide perfect sleep at night. The minimalism is welcome in a place like London. The staff is excellent - friendly, professional and welcoming. The only drawbacks: the beautiful new lap pool is not open in the mornings, aside from weekends. And although I enjoy mood lighting there is no usable light for packing or doing a task. I moved my luggage into the bathroom so I could see! Travelers with poor eyesight may wish to book elsewhere or request an extra lamp. I will have another short stay with the hotel later this week and am looking forward to it.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience at Café Royal hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay in our guestrooms and we will pass on your kind words to our team regarding the service you received. I am sorry the Akasha Pool was not open in the mornings during your stay; Akasha is still in the opening phase and will be fully opened in coming weeks, to include a start of the art gym. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back later this week.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Get there now before the crowds catch on. Grill room a real treat, rooms are spacious and well equipped. The archetecture alone is worth the room rate, but we felt the lighting could be brighter in the public areas. Staff very welcoming and extremely helpful.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your positive review about Café Royal hotel and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am heartened by your kind comments regarding the service you received and am very pleased to read of your appreciation for the design of the hotel and the guestrooms. I am very happy we met your expectations and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed at Cafe Royal in August on the first leg of our European holiday. This was to celebrate my 50th birthday.
What can I fault.....absolutely nothing. From the time of our arrival to our departure everything was perfect. We have travelled to many countries around the world and, this is the first hotel I have stayed at that panders to kids. My 9 year old son was given his own little gown and slippers. He even had his own personalised note from room service. I thought that was a very nice touch.
Thank you all the staff at Cafe Royal for making the whole family so welcome with all those little personal touches. I absolutely recommend this hotel...well there goes my secret spot now.
The Armstrong family

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bells Ok A
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for choosing Café Royal hotel to host such a special occasion and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the service you received and we are very happy to hear you enjoyed the personal touches added for your experience. Thank you for sharing such a positive review and we hope to welcome you and your family back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Have stayed at Cafe Royal twice, once private for three nights in July, once for business in September. In my review I focus on the second stay.

Being a Leader's Club member I was upgraded to a beautiful Deluxe Room directly facing Picadilly. You can see the view in the picture attached to this review. I've stayed in three different rooms and they were all nice and the bathrooms great.

Here's the summary of my stays.

What I liked:

+ Hairdryer in the bathroom (yes - really!) This is the first UK hotel where you don't have to sit at your desk to dry your hair!
+ Nespresso machine in the rooms
+ Modern design (but that's a matter of taste)
+ Excellent soundproof windows (facing Regent Street, you did not hear the noise from there)
+ Beautiful conversion of a historical building - outstanding stair cases, nice lift door concept

What I didn't like:

- The light switches in the room. You are prone to accidently switch on (or off) all lights in the room when you don't want to.
- Lack of a "Lobby" - there is an entrance from Regent Street with two chairs and a flower arrangement. It's gorgeous but not a lobby
- Staff at breakfast forget things, mix up orders, etc. They removed my milk while I still had a pot of tea to finish, they forgot my toast (while they had brought jam & butter), etc. It was bad in July and it has not improved by September.
- So far, they didn't manage to get the bar going even though it's a beautiful room with mirrors like Versailles. We came in for a night cap on a Friday night after drinks at the "W" hotel and then at the Sanderson. Both bars were packed with people, but Café Royal bar was practically empty. And expensive :-(

Room Tip: Get a room facing Regent Street. They have more light and don't worry about the noise - the wind...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ralf H

Thank you taking the time to provide such a detailed review on your second stay with us. I am very happy to hear your appreciation for the renovation of the hotel and the design details that makes Café Royal hotel a contemporary and luxurious hotel for 21st Century travellers. David Chipperfield Architects was the lead architect in the hotels restoration, where modern elegance has been carefully paired with historical style and glamour. We are also pleased that you enjoyed the special touches we add to our suites and hope this added to the comfort of your stay.

I was disappointed to learn of your experience during breakfast and at The Bar as our customer service is paramount to us at the hotel and I apologise that the service was not to your expectations. We appreciate any feedback and with your comments in mind I would be keen to talk to you personally and have sent you my contact details.

Once again thank you for your comments and we do hope to welcome you back again to Café Royal hotel.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We had an early dinner before going to a first night at the ballet. The food and service were
excellent. Our room was extremely comfortable and the whole atmosphere was wonderful.
Would certainly be very happy to stay there again and hopefully for longer than one night!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary G

Thank you for choosing to stay at Café Royal hotel for your night at the ballet. I am very pleased to read your kind comments regarding our cuisine and guestrooms and I have passed on your thanks to the team. We hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Did a four night stay 9/30 to 10/4 in a Portland deluxe room - found the whole experience compelling

Check in was easy - escoted to my room by a lovely young woman who reminded me how to work the lighting systems and shower functions. Room was compelet with a desk for working two chairs a large dressing area and a luxurious marble bath (actually teh whole room is marble, but you have probably seen that on the web site)

Service wa sperfect wit wake up calls on time, room service exactly as promised and garment pressing and cleaning delivered exactly when needed. Hotel bar is fun an d lively, restaurant ok, ets part is teh home made butter for breakfast pastries.

They have added a cafe to pick up coffees and pastries which is welcome.

Overall teh staff to guest ratio seems incrdibly high, there are people always ready to be helpful, but inside an doutside teh hotel

The location of teh property is its best assett, right on Picadilly and close to both the piccadilly and central tube lines

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review about Café Royal hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your second stay for four nights with us. I am very pleased to hear you experienced such excellent service and that our restaurant, café and bar were to your liking. We are also very happy to learn of your appreciation for the design of the guestrooms and are glad you enjoyed the central location of the hotel. Thank you from all of the team, for your detailed review of the hotel and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to Café Royal hotel.

Warm regards