“Outstanding Service and Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #58 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Seattle
“Outstanding Service and Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

When I traveled to London for a week with my adult daughter, it would be a trip for which I was "pulling out all the stops" and so I booked this four or five star hotel which is far more expensive than I where I would normally stay. I primarily chose it for location and good reviews but it was an experience that I felt I had to share. I don't know if this hotel would be categorized as a boutique hotel as I do not know how many rooms it had but the ambiance felt that way. When you walked into the lobby, always assisted in through the revolving door by a doorman - or two, you almost felt as if you were entering an elegant town house in the heart of London. No registration, concierge or other evidence that this was a hotel was in sight, only a fireplace, chairs, a very large table with a huge gorgeous floral arrangement greeted you. We were escorted around the corner to the registration desk. and then to our room.
I understand that this hotel has been in business for 100 years but it has recently been refurbished and brought into the 21'st century and not much was overlooked. The bathroom - all marble with double sinks carved out of a slab or marble, rain head showers, a TV screen embedded into the wall size mirror and private toilet enclosure. The beds were heavenly with down duvets and pillows and the linens were all Frette. The terry robes and towels were thick, thick, thick. Our room (lowest category) was not huge but adequate in size with a couple of chairs and a decent size table next to a huge Bang and Oluffson flat screen on its own stand that turned to face you when it was turned on. There were USB ports in the wall for charging electronics. The coffee area was furnished with a very efficient Kuerrig type coffee tea, and chocolate maker and the room was supplied with fresh fruit. My only (minor) complaint was lack of mirrors in the bedroom (only in the bathroom and hallway as you left the room) and I thought there could have been more lighting in the bedroom. (Women need lights and mirrors for make-up and dressing) It seemed as if the room was designed by a man for a man. The staff and service were so excellent in all ways and it was really a joy to stay there. It was handy to the tube, steps from Picadilly and theaters and restaurants but the hotel could not have been more quiet and restful. I recommend.

Room Tip: I think it would be best to be at the back of the hotel as the hotel's entrance is on Regent St...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FrancoisSchoeffer, Director of Operations at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review on Café Royal hotel, I am delighted that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay and every element. Always an iconic London landmark, Café Royal has only recently been reincarnated as a hotel after a transformation under the direction of David Chipperfield Architects, with this in mind it is very pleasing to read your appreciation of the renovation; we have worked to carefully marry modern elegance and contemporary design with historical details and heritage.

Thank you also for your kind words regarding the service you received during your stay, it will give me great pleasure to pass this on to all team members. I am very happy to learn that you appreciated the special amenities we provide in our guestrooms and we hope these added to the comfort of your stay. Guests are paramount to us at Café Royal hotel and we are pleased we were able to demonstrate this to you. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards,
Francois-Xavier Schoeffer
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

This is a great Hotel. I stayed there last April before I moved to the UK.
Now that I live in the UK I don't use hotels any longer but highly recommend this hotel to friends and family.
Great location by Regent Street, all new, fantastic design, staff and service.
Love it !

Room Tip: High Floor
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your positive review of Café Royal hotel and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay. We are very pleased to hear your appreciation of the hotel’s design and the service you received. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again, if you return to London.

Warm regards

Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We held our global managers meeting at the Cafe Royal. All 12 attendees agreed it was one of the best hotel experiences anyone had had. The refurbishment is awesome and the rooms have the right balance of classic charm and cutting edge gadgets. What set this apart for me though was the service - clearly every member of staff was empowered and motivated - the hotel should be very proud of their team. The bars are great and breakfast was fantastic. Also as a meeting venue this really worked - everyone got in some shopping and we could walk to some great restaurants. I won't say what we paid but it was good value and the hotel was happy to have us as a large group. A very special experience.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing Café Royal hotel to host your global managers meeting and we are delighted that you all enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the design of the hotel and the service you received; our guests are paramount to us at the hotel and I am very pleased that we were able to demonstrate how important customer service is to us. It will give me great pleasure to pass on your words to our team. Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to welcome you all back again soon.

Kindest regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We were booked into the Cafe Royal as my daughter was performing in London so didnt know what to expect! Thats all I can say is that we had an amazing experience! It is so unusual as we were dropped off and there is no real grand entrance. Its when you walk through the revolving doors into the foyer that it first hits you. High ceilings with lots of marble and very bright and airy. Its like walking back in time to the 40's. The reception is off this foyer and we passed a table laden with stunning fresh exotic flowers! The reception then has a very different feel to the foyer. Very minimalistic and modern. Staff were extremely professional and friendly and check in was lightening quick. Our luggage was taken to our room and we decided to have afternoon tea before checking into the room. I will review the afternoon tea later. We were then taken to our room which was on the second floor and at the end of a very long corridor. The corridors reminded me of the film Inception! Again every now and then there would be an alcove with a table laden with fresh flowers. Entry to the room was with touch key. When we got into the room and ours was a basic twin room it really had the wow factor, Marble floors, bang and Olufsen TV and sound system. Very high ceilings and it looked like the outside large brick was inside! Beds were just so comfortable it was an absolute dream and probably the best nights sleep I have every had at a Hotel. Lovely little touches like electric curtains, blackout and sheer. When we arrived back in the evening L'Occitane pillow mist had been left in a spray bottle on our pillows. The room included a large bottle of still water, amazing toiletries and a fantastic coffee making machine. The room was very large compared to many London Hotel rooms I have been in. The bathroom was ceiling to floor marble with a lovely touch a TV built into the mirror! There was a huge walk in shower and a separate toilet. No bath which was the only negative thing I could pick in the room! Breakfast was probably the best eggs benedict I have ever tasted and presentation was amazing! We didnt get to use the Spa as it was opening that day but did get to have a look around. It was absolutely stunning and used to be the wine cellar. Definitely worth taking your swimming costume. Service throughout our stay was second to none and I will without a shadow of a doubt be visiting the Cafe Royal when I return to London. Outstanding!

Room Tip: The only tip I can give is please book this Hotel as it is a wonderful experience. Any room will be...
1 Thank superskier87
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pen your detailed review of your stay at Café Royal hotel and we are very happy you enjoyed your experience. Our sincere thanks to you for your kind words regarding the service received by the team and it will give me great pleasure to pass on your comments to my colleagues. I am very happy to hear your appreciation for the design of the hotel and the special touches added around the hotel. Thank you also for your positive comments about your accommodation and I am delighted you found your stay comfortable. Our guestrooms, are some of the biggest in London and the concept for our luxurious bedrooms was to create a spatial generosity for each room, so that each would present itself as a suite. As you have experienced, our bathrooms are created exclusively in Carrara marble and include rainfall showers and many also feature separate deep soak baths – be sure to request one on your next visit. I am sorry to hear you were unable to use the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre, but we look forward to welcoming you back on your return to London and you can experience our wonderful newly opened wellbeing and fitness centre.

Warm regards

brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Cafe' Royal comes with a lot of history: Oscar Wilde's watering hole, Churchill's cigar bar etc.
The laziest thing that the new owner could have done is to design something with a lot of chintz, wall to wall carpets and reproduction English furniture. I am glad that I found instead the best appointed bathroom in London, all in hand-carved Italian marble, Poltrona Frau beds and chairs, fantastic double glazing (you do not hear anything and you are on top of Piccadilly Circus!) and Bang & Olufsen technology. Period rooms restored gracefully including the magnificent Grill Room. Excellent breakfast and attentive service throughout our entire stay. A great alternative to the noisy and cranky Ritz............

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay. I am very pleased to read your appreciation for the design of the hotel and the special added extras we provide in our guestrooms. David Chipperfield Architects was the lead architect for Café Royal hotel, where modern elegance has been carefully paired with historical style and glamour. We are also very happy to learn that the breakfast and service met your expectations and I will pass on your kind words to the team. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Kind regards

Palo Alto, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Café Royal is extremely well located in the heart of London. The building is an intriguing mix of old and new – often an old appearing veneer with modern conveniences and technology hidden behind. The Junior Suite was spacious and contemporary with a nice sitting area and huge bathroom. The bed was firm, but not uncomfortably hard. The staff and service were great. From breakfast to afternoon tea to room service and recommendations – the staff did everything they possibly could to make the stay enjoyable. They were responsive to my specific requests and I observed the staff responding graciously to custom requests from other guests. This relatively new hotel is clearly aiming to be in the top echelon of hotels – without any stuffiness. We enjoyed our stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 2teens
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Café Royal hotel and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. I am very happy to hear your appreciation for design of the guestrooms; designed by David Chipperfield Architects, these are some of the largest guestrooms available in London and we are delighted to read such positive comments about them. I will pass on your kind words to the team and we hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the near future.

Kindest regards

Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed there on my last business trip to London, as my usual hotel was closed for renovation.....i knew of the venue and the location, but was unaware that it had recently reopened as a grand hotel. And grand is the right word.

So, my first impressions were all positive. My driver managed to find his way to the side door after some manoeuvrings around regent street. I went in the side door, past the restaurant and into the reception from there. Staff were welcoming, friendly, approachable and diligent in processing my reservation.

I was escorted up to my room, with my 'guide' offering me some insight into the building and the history as well as the design aesthetic that was approached during the remodeling. I have to say they did an incredible job. The elevators alone have an old world charm you just dont see anywhere else. The communal areas are beautifully dealt with, and the old period features remain and are somehow enhanced by the fusion of the old and the Ultra-Modern.

My room was well equipped...Nespresso machine, Bang & Olufsen TV, spacious bed and great bathroom complete with a fantastic shower room complete with massive rain-shower and a marble bench seat.

In homage to the exterior of the building, and indeed Regent Street architecture, the interior of my room was clad in massive portland stone slabs which kind of gave it a 'cell-like' quality that seemed at odds with the old world luxury seen elsewhere in the hotel. By the end of my stay, i 'think' i was used to it, but im not really convinced i was. The rooms are very minimalist and it just seems odd to find a hotel that has zero artwork hanging on the walls. I dont mind minimalism, but even a piece of monochrome minimalist art on the walls would break up the institutional feel it had at times.

Now, that was the ONLY question mark i have against the place. The communal areas are sublime, the staff are brilliant, the restaurant and bars are equally wonderful, and all in all its a great place.

i did have an issue during my stay which i finally ended up having to call the front desk about. The B&O TV's are routed through an amplifier to speakers built into the walls to give a more enveloping sound from the TV. Apparently, the amplifier unit is in a cupboard by the front door of the room, and it was clearly faulty as it kept switching off and on, with a resulting loud 'click' being heard through the speakers everytime it did so. This went on through the night, which resulted in a badly broken sleep. By day 2 i could stand it no longer and called down to see if they could send someone up to investigate. He immediately pinpointed the problem, and although he didnt have a replacement, he disconnected it and removed it from my room - so at least the clicking stopped. That slight inconvenience aside, the stay was wonderful, the hotel refurbishment a triumph and a gorgeous blending of luxurious old and uber modern......

that institutional feeling bedroom though....i cant seem to shake that from my mind and still unsure whether it works ( for me at least).

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time so provide such a detailed review on your stay with us at Café Royal hotel and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We are pleased to hear your appreciation for the renovation of the hotel and the design details that makes Café Royal hotel a contemporary and luxurious hotel for 21st Century travellers. I am delighted you liked the special added touches to our guestrooms and we hope this added to the comfort of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the Portland stone design was not to your liking; we also offer guestrooms with beautiful English fumed oak panelling which may be more to your taste.

I am very happy to read your comments regarding the service you received and I apologise for the technical issue you had in your guestroom, though I am glad this was sorted out efficiently and will be looked into to prevent any further issues in the future. Thank you once again for your comments and we hope you choose to stay with us again at Café Royal hotel.

Yours sincerely