“AMAZING”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #55 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Jusr spent there 5 nights with my wife. The room was very big. Stunning view to Picadilly Circle. The rooms are brand new and feel like they just opened the boxes.... the deco is very tastefull. The bed very comfortable. The bathroom is from beautifull Italian marble and huge. The bath big enough to fit two (at last...) and the shower big enough to fit a whole family.
The sevice is great. When we left at 6AM to the aiport they gave us a box with two coffees and pastry since we could not make it for breakfast.
The breakfast is great. If you come for a few days, go also to the Royal Cafe for a breakfast. They allow you to choose.
The Akasha spa is breathtaking. I have seen many spa's, but no one comes close to this one. Really a masterpiece.

1  Thank Rani_Ben_Ozer
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your 5-night stay with us. I am pleased to hear your appreciation of the guestrooms and of your time at Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre, all designed for the 21st century traveller. David Chipperfield Architects was the lead architect in the hotel restoration, where modern elegance has been carefully paired with historical style and glamour. I will pass on your kind words to the culinary team regarding your breakfast and I hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We have spent two wonderful evenings in the Grill Room at the Cafe Royal. Enjoying a beautifully cooked meal and a stunning cabaret show. The Grill Room is a must see historical attraction in my view. It dates from the mid 1800's and is simply stunning all mirrors and gilt with a beautifully painted ceiling. The staff are incredibly efficient, polite and attentive and the service was exemplary. Based on the wonderful experience we have had in the Grill Room I am planning to spend my 50th birthday weekend staying at the hotel and will definitely be a regular in the Grill Room.

1  Thank ClaireHolland

Thank you very much for your comments on the Grill Room at Café Royal hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed the Black Cat Cabaret, ‘Salon des Artistes’ and look forward to welcoming you back for your milestone birthday and many more occasions to the Grill Room.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

We had booked a hotel room at this hotel through booking.com. This hotel is located near Piccadilly Circus and is easy to reach by tube. When we arrived around 4 pm we were shown a room facing a back alley and not the one we had been promised when booking. When complaining about this lack we were told that no room with Regent Street view was available but a possible move during our stay (6 days) was probably possible. The room lights were dark so we could hardly see. The walls of the room resembled a prison cell rather than a five star luxury hotel at more than GBP 320 excluding breakfast. Thus we decided not to unpack and to leave the place at once. We paid the cancellation fee of GBP 320 and after complaining were given some false statements that we refused to move to another room with Glasshouse view - whatever this means - and promises of getting relodged the following day, which was never mentioned. We never saw a manager to talk to. The taxi took us to The Goring where we had stayed before and which I can only highly recommend.

Room Tip: We did not sleep at this hotel and would not recommend it due to bad service and break of contract w...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank jocoine

Thank you for your review of Café Royal hotel. I am very sorry to learn of the issues you raised and am pleased this has been resolved off-line. I hope to have the pleasure of personally welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel when you are next in London, for a fault free stay and have sent you my contact details by private message.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I celebrated my 40th birthday at this hotel and it has to be the best hotel I have stayed in.
Staff were so friendly and helpful - made the stay so special.
Really recommend the hotel to anyone, the spa was so amazing too.
Thanks to all staff who made my day feel so special.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PachamamaLondon

Thank you for choosing Café Royal hotel and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us – congratulations on your milestone birthday!. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the service you received and we are very happy to hear you found the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre so much to your liking. We hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My son and I stayed for 4 days after Christmas. The hotel was renovated about a year ago and is really very nice in every way. The rooms tend to be small, but that is common in London. The indoor pool ( part of the very nice gym ) is beautiful, and ne of the nicest I have seen in an English hotel. Our concierge was extremely accomodating, very friendly and got us tickets to Henry V, which was sold out. My only complaint was the service at the coffee shop that is part of the hotel- the service was extremely slow though it was not very busy, and the waitresses seemed clueless, forgetting to set utensils, forgetting to bring coffee, etc. Did not eat at the other restaurants, but the food through room service was very good and arrived very quickly. Although many would like the location at Picadilly, I find it to be a bit too busy an area, although the rooms were completely soundproof and the beds extremely comfortable. Also, do not make any local calls or you will be charged exhorbitantly! I made about 3 quick calls and was charged nearly $50.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Café Royal hotel for your 4-night post-Christmas break. I am heartened by your kind words regarding the 4-year renovation of the property. Our guestrooms, on average, are some of the largest in London, so am disappointed by your comments over the size of the guestroom you experienced. I am very sorry regarding the slow service at The Café and offer my sincere apologies for this. Thank you for your comments regarding our whisper-quiet guestrooms and subsequent sound proofing; I am so pleased this was to your liking. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel in the future and would be delighted to show you a variety of our guestrooms with size more to your liking. I have sent you my contact details by private message.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My partner bought me tickets to The Book of Mormon for my birthday , so we booked this nearby hotel as a late birthday treat , as it's in Regent Street up near Picadilly Circus. My partner let them know that it was a birthday treat , and they pulled out all the stops to make it special , so if you are staying for an occasion let them know , I have a feeling you will be pleasantly surprised . The Hotel itself i fell in love with , it brings the old and new together perfectly , with the lobby areas having the classy old London feel but the rooms being stylish and modern ... I really enjoyed the large bath cut from a single block of marble. The electrically operated curtains opened to reveal a lovely view including Big Ben and the bustle of London , but with windows which kept the noise out. The Bed was huge and comfortable , I must say , many of the pictures do not give away the size of the rooms . The staff themselves were professional , this is an upmarket property but you are treated with warmth not snobbery, I was made to feel that nothing was too much trouble. My top tip is to pack swimwear as I didn't , and the spa area (not the treatments) is included with your room, I feel we missed out. My only advice to the hotel is perhaps to put a comprehensive printed guide on wirelessly connecting your devices to the entertainment hub in the room. An amazing stay , I feel that once or twice a year we will stay as a treat .

Room Tip: We stayed in 424 , beautiful view, beautiful room.
1  Thank DaveyG32

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review on Café Royal hotel, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and we were able to host your birthday. Café Royal has only recently been reincarnated as a hotel after a transformation under the direction of David Chipperfield Architects, with this in mind it is very pleasing to read your appreciation of the renovation; we have worked to carefully marry modern elegance and contemporary design with historical details and heritage. I am heartened to read of your comments regarding the size of the guestrooms and the amenities in the rooms. Your suggestion regarding connection to our Media Hub, which can be connected via Bluetooth or by wired lead, has been taken on board and we are currently developing this in-room information piece - thank you! I look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel on many more occasions.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Faultless service, fantastic staff, all home comforts and more. Champagne, chocolates and cake awaiting in room to celebrate my partners birthday. Perfect location in the heart of London. This hotel has retained aspects of the old Cafe Royal, while having modern comfortable rooms to make tis a wonderful place to stay

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite, just perfect
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Café Royal hotel to celebrate your partners birthday; I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding the suite and I am happy to learn of your appreciation for the design of the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.