“"There is something special going on at Cafe Royal! "”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #51 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is London's best kept secret! There is a very special thing going on at Cafe Royal. It was clear to us that the staff and hotel management really are having fun at delivering over and above the expectations of the most discerning of guests. No stuffy attitudes here . Eye contact , smiles and just the right amount of attention to our needs 24/7. Doormen greet you with warmth and genuine interest. Staff are waiting at the hall elevators. The Entry hall is magnificent. Our room overlooked Piccadilly Circus: " What a sight seeing London Experience from our bedroom!" This location is the best in London .... Also the "sound proofing" was "Pin-drop" quiet ... not even a whisper. Room decor modern and sophisticated. Special mentions to The doorman at the Air Street entry, and concierge Kareem who arranged an "impossible" reservation at Sushi Samba at the last minute so that we could surprise our brother at his 50th birthday.
All Cafe Royal staff were wonderful.
We liked it so much that we extended our stay an extra day!
This will be our First choice when we visit London Again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Piccadilly Circus
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your stay with us. I am very happy to hear your appreciation of the team and service received; I will be sure to pass on your thanks to Karim Bernichi. I am delighted you found the sound proofing in our whisper-quiet guestrooms so much to your liking and that our central London location was such a hit. Once again thank you for your comments and we do hope to welcome you back again to Café Royal hotel.

Anthony Lee

Write a ReviewReviews (1,442)

Reviewed 14 January 2014

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The staff were excellent, the decor interesting and the facilities fantastic. The location couldn't have been better. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite which was fantastic
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for your review on Café Royal hotel. I am pleased to hear your appreciation of the décor of the hotel, designed for the 21st century traveller in mind. I am heartened by your appreciation of our team, central London location and overall experience. I look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

If you haven't stayed at The Café Royal Hotel then why not! This is my number 1 hotel when staying in London. Just returned from a weekend stay with my parents which was amazing, having previously stayed when the hotel first opened everything now is all up and running including the Amazing Akasha spa - All treatments we had were incredible.
What makes this hotel special is all the professional staff that attend to your every need. From the front desk to the doormen, they make your stay so special.
My parents stayed in The Club Suite which is one of the Historic Suites - What can I say WOW - These are the suites to book if you want the very best with the most efficient butler ever.
The biggest thank you goes to the manager who took the time to show me the suites - She was exceptional - Can't wait for my next trip.

Room Tip: It has to be one of the six Historic Suites
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark M

Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and to hear your appreciation of our historic suites and of the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre. David Chipperfield Architects has achieved a perfect balance between 21st century style and the retained grand historic public rooms of the 1860s and 1920s, which have been painstakingly restored in collaboration with historic building architects, Donald Insall Associates. Thank you also for your kind words regarding our team and service; your comments will be shared with all. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We have just returned from a 1 night stay at the Café Royal and although I do not normally have the time or inclination to write reviews I had to make an exception here.
I have stayed in London hotels many times but can honestly say hotel truly deserves it's 5* status.
From the moment we arrived we were treated with genuine friendly and professional service, nothing was too much trouble and the staff go out of their way to make your stay the best they possibly can.

We used the spa pool which is the best I have seen in any hotel, surrounded by candles making it a relaxed environment. This, complimented by the lush pool beds made it hard for us to leave.

I was at first a little disappointed in the standard room as the walls resembled breeze blocks, although we were assured they were marble. We quickly got used to the clean lines of the room and the high tech feel with all the gadgets in the room. Alas, there was no bath, but the Hugh wet room with a rain shower more than compensated for this.
The hotel has been cleverly mixed with Old and New, giving an Asian feel while still retaining the history of elegant past times. This complimented by the fresh orchids everywhere gives the hotel a lovely ambiance.

I would definitely return to the Café Royal for a special occasion, as it is in such a convenient location and the staff, from the porter to the Manager are so helpful and professional.

I was sorry to leave but will definitely return, sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for penning your review on Café Royal hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your one night stay with us and to read how enthused you were over the hotel and the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre. I am heartened by your appreciation of the contemporary design of the hotel; we have sensitively restored all areas of historic interest, whilst ensuring comfort for the 21st century traveller. Our Portland style guestrooms are created in rusticated Portland Stone, to mirror the architecture seen on the handsome Regent Street façade. When you return to the hotel I would be delighted to show you a Mansard Deluxe Guestroom, panelled in fumed English Oak with large oversized bath.; this style may be more to your liking. I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the team and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Champagne and dinner in the GRILL ROOM great staff wonderful food room dressed in the style of LouisXiv and old school soul being played by the DJ was a joy. shall certainly return and on a Friday night where I understand they have a great cabaret show too.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent visit to the Grill Room at Café Royal hotel. I was delighted you enjoyed your experience and thank you for your kind endorsement. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and to possibly experiencing the rest of Café Royal hotel.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Going to london is like arriving home.
A special atmosphere, fashionable and refreshing.
As i have lots of problemw with my disease, it has ben more diffucult to visit it as oftend as i am used to do, which hurts. But after a few operations again and medecines i was strong enough to go , altough to short, for 2 days which made me feel very excited.
Normally when i visitied london in the very beginning i allways stayed in very poor looking hotels as i can't efford the better ones, but as i am having problems with my health i decided to enjoy every second of my life. So the times i am able now, when not feeling to sick, to go to london i prefere to have a perfect , relax 1 night stay in a very nice hotel to treat myself, even when it's too expensive but i allways say : if you can dream it, you can do it....so i did it again.

I heard more and more about this hotel, the "cafe royal", which made me decide after reading reviews and seeing pictures of the hotel to book a 1 night stay in a portland standard room. One of the major reasons i choosed this hotel is that it looked very new and still has the old charms of the past ( perfect mixture ) and as i get eassily tired with my disease it was nice not to have a long journey back to the hotel as cafe royal is in the middle of the action. I need a big room where i can refresh and relax during the day to get some power again, a perfect sleep without disturbing noises and most of all a "very welcome feeling" from the staff and let me tell you...my dreams came true !

I arrived very early in the morning, a bit tired of the journey but the doormen welcomed me with a nice smile and took my heavy luggage to let me into the hotel in the most comfortable way. It's these little things that are huge details for me ( with my disease) so this was a promising start.
After being impressed with the small, but detailed and luxurious lobby my dream went further with the smootest check-in i ever had. The very welcoming lady gave me a short tour of the hotel but to be honest , i wasn't listening very well to what she was saying as i was impressed with the clean, very design and still very warm look of the hotel. Very nice staff passinf me by with a nice "welcome sir" to a lady who was walking around with some nice smelling perfume to give the hotel some fresh sparkling air.

After the tour , the lady told me she was going to text me when the room was ready. I never received a text message , so i decided at 4pm to return to the hotel and luckily the room was ready as i needed to lay down a bit. Found it a bit strange i didn't receive a message but actually, it didn't borher me at all...i am not the type of guest who is going to complain about such a small detail which i even think wasn't the fault of the staff.

When arriving in the room i was impressed... The first words which came up were "wow", "ooh" and then a it became silent as i was enjoying every second of this moment. The standard rooms are huge, feeling allmost like being in a small appartment, with all kind of nice details like a chocolate gift, fresh fruit....lights and curtains you can open or close with one touch of your hand on the wall next to your bed, small tv in the mirror while doing your make-up...amazing !
So i decided to have a little nap and to refresh myself, which gives me energy again to attack london.

But unfortunately, i have one quite big complain i have to tell that surprised me and shocked me as well. And it hurts me to say as this hotel is truly amazing, but when i was standing in the shower i heard some kind of noise which didn't sound normal. Immediately i decided to jump out of the (huge) shower and i was shocked by the fact some people were opening the door of my hotel room and were allmost entering. Luckilly i arrived quickly enough they didn't saw my whole naked body, but this was something which is not done. So i decided to call the reception to explain what just happened and thank god : again the staff was very touched with what happened and found it as unnacceptable as i found, so they promised me to call me back. A few minutes later i got the manager, edward, on the phone telling me he heard what happened , to apologise and promising me he was going to look on camera who was going into my room. It seemed to be technician people of the hotel, he felt very very sorry and offered me a bottle of champagne for the stress this has caused a bit.

I allways hate to complain, as i think people nowadays have to be more happy and especially after i heard the news i have to go trough life with a disease i am standing more positive in life, so complaining is not my usual way of living. But sometimes you have too, but nobody is perfect and i think this is also one of the reasons i actually loved this hotel even more then i allready did at the beginning i entered the hotel. Because after having this issue, i had more interaction with the staff then an average guest, which made me realise how strange it is that people you have never seen before can create such an atmosphere as they have allways known you and are dying to give you the most perfect stay ever.

So there is no doubt in the future i will choose this oase again to forget the pain i am dealing with and enjoy the royal treatment this hotel has offered me...without someone entering my room ;-)

Thank you cafe royal !

Greets, niek vermeersch

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Niek V

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review on Café Royal hotel, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. Always an iconic London landmark, Café Royal has only recently been reincarnated as a hotel after a transformation under the direction of David Chipperfield Architects, with this in mind it is very pleasing to read your appreciation of the renovation; we have worked to carefully marry modern elegance and contemporary design with historical details and heritage. Thank you also for your kind words regarding the service you received during your stay, it will give me great pleasure to pass this on to all team members. Guests are paramount to us at Café Royal hotel and I offer my humble apologies regarding the engineer visit and only hope the bottle of Champagne did in some small way make up for this inconvenience. Please do come and join us again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Jusr spent there 5 nights with my wife. The room was very big. Stunning view to Picadilly Circle. The rooms are brand new and feel like they just opened the boxes.... the deco is very tastefull. The bed very comfortable. The bathroom is from beautifull Italian marble and huge. The bath big enough to fit two (at last...) and the shower big enough to fit a whole family.
The sevice is great. When we left at 6AM to the aiport they gave us a box with two coffees and pastry since we could not make it for breakfast.
The breakfast is great. If you come for a few days, go also to the Royal Cafe for a breakfast. They allow you to choose.
The Akasha spa is breathtaking. I have seen many spa's, but no one comes close to this one. Really a masterpiece.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rani_Ben_Ozer

Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your 5-night stay with us. I am pleased to hear your appreciation of the guestrooms and of your time at Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre, all designed for the 21st century traveller. David Chipperfield Architects was the lead architect in the hotel restoration, where modern elegance has been carefully paired with historical style and glamour. I will pass on your kind words to the culinary team regarding your breakfast and I hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.