“Ok but...”

Ranked #55 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Evian-les-Bains, France
“Ok but...”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I have very mixed views about this hotel. I stayed for 4 nights in January. The staff on arrival were very friendly and I was shown to my room quickly after check-in.
My room was fine - modern technology everywhere which worked well and although the bathroom had no bath tub, the overall bedroom and bathroom was good, spacious and reasonably comfortable. There was one irratating thing about the bedroom though - the curtains are automatically and electrically closed but the curtain rail and therefore the curtain does not go to the end of the window which means the street lights make your bedroom quite bright at night - I personally like a dark room and I found this part annoying.
Now onto the restaurant part - this is why I have given my review 3 stars: it was NOT good. I had a business lunch on arrival. The service was sooo slow. The food (when it arrived) was very good but the service so slow. I ordered dessert followed by coffee the problem was that the coffee arrived before the dessert. There were no apologies, nothing at all so I was dissapointed by this. With the prices they charge this should not happen. The restaurant also has no soul or atmosphere and I found actually quite depressing. Breakfast again was a very slow process with the eggs taking 40 minutes to arrive from the time of order. So clearly there is a problem in the kitchens and/or with the staff that needs to be sorted urgently in my opinion.
Check-out was so dissapointing though. I checked out early in the morning (at about 05h45) and requested a taxi. I was told very bluntly by a member of staff that it was not possible to get a taxi at this time of the morning. It was a joke! I asked again and was told by another member of staff the same thing. I took my belongings, went outside and flagged down a taxi within 2 minutes.
Either the staff do not care about their departing guests or they have no notion of service. Which ever way I will not be back in a hurry.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank manil0u
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal during your stay with us. I was most concerned to learn of the points you raised. Any feedback is important to me and I am most appreciative to you for your critical feedback as it allows us to continually strive for a better guest experience. I would like to talk to you personally about your comments and have sent you my details by private message. Please do get in touch.

Anthony Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This hotel was such a pleasant surprise. I have visited London countless times, always staying in Mayfair hotels.

When I was told that plans had changed and that we would be staying in Cafe Royal on Regent's Street, I wasn't very happy. I had never heard of it, and was quite sure I'd prefer Grosvener Square over lower Regent's Street.

Though now being so pleased with my stay, I felt compelled to write my first review on Trip Advisor.

First of all, it is a beautiful and tasteful hotel. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly; being asked several times during the week if everything was going well with our stay.

The Portland Deluxe Guest Room:

The room door, leads to a reception room where there are two more doors; one leading to your room, and one other. This is especially handy for when having booked two rooms: you don't need to worry about bumping into a stranger half dressed in the hallway. The double-door also ensures the rooms are virtually sound proof! Didn't hear the faintest noise during our stay.

Truly a huge bathroom made entirely of white Italian marble. Two sinks, with opaque glass doors separating the shower and toilet. This was really useful when getting ready simultaneously with the other guest in the morning. Not to mention the rain-like shower- fantastic!

With regard to technology, it is clear that the hotel is brand new, very hi-tech:
-The card readers just need to be hovered over the room number to unlock the door
- The flat screen TV has a motion senser which finds where you are in the room and angles itself towards you
- There is a TV behind the mirror in the bathroom which is invisible when not on
- There are many button options by the door you can press to let staff now to either: clean the room, do not disturb, etc.
-Free Wifi (strange how this still feels like a luxury in this day and age!)
-Personal Espresso Machine, capsules, as well as a selection of teas; milk sugar mugs etc supplied in the mini-kitchen
Other small touches like the newspapers hung on the door every morning and automatic curtains made the stay so comfortable.

The location was great, and you literally don't need to take taxi's anywhere. This makes dining/shopping in London so easy.

I am already so excited for my stay in March when I return!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel. I am pleased to hear your appreciation of the design and comfort of our guestrooms; our Portland style guestrooms are created in rusticated Portland Stone, to mirror the architecture seen on the handsome Regent Street façade. Throughout the hotel all our bathrooms are created in Carrara marble and high tech features have been implemented for the comfort of the 21st century traveller. I am heartened we met your expectations and my team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel in March.

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

During my business career I enjoyed many a splendid function at luxuriously ornate The Cafe Royal, most memorable were the Boxing Evenings, where black suit and dicky bow were the order of the day, and silence was strictly enforced during each round.

With those marvelous impressions of yesterday still in my mind it was with a degree of trepidation that we stayed for a weekend at the recently converted hotel, wondering whether it could possibly match up to what it had been. I needn't have worried because The Cafe Royal Hotel is an absolutely top flight 5 star hotel that has retained its unique atmosphere of gilded opulence and decadence throughout the common parts but has introduced a very modern decor, furnishings and cutting-edge technology to the bedrooms. The bed was without doubt was the most comfortable that we have experienced anywhere in the world.

The service was very helpful, attentive without being overbearing and most importantly very friendly. We had a very good family reunion dinner in the Ten Grill, and really loved The Cafe which we visited 5 times during our stay.

With its prominent position at the crossroads of Regent Street, Piccadilly, Shaftesbury Avenue, and Soho and Chinatown. it is superbly placed for shopping, theatre, and sightseeing.

This is one hell of a good, classy, exciting, and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BOUGHTON1
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you very much for sharing such a warm review after visiting Café Royal hotel. I was delighted to read of your past visits to the former Café Royal and that the reincarnated Café Royal hotel was so well received. David Chipperfield Architects, who was responsible for the design, has achieved a perfect balance between 21st Century style and the retained grand historic public rooms of the 1860s and 1920s. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Ten Room, the iconic Grill Room and our very central London position, which you identified as being ideal for theatreland, Mayfair, Soho and sightseeing/shopping. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This beautiful hotel is prime located in the heart of London, at the corner of Piccadilly and Regent.
It is beautifully restored. The rooms are spacious with a zen like feel. The marble bathroom is extremely luxurious. The breakfasts are excellent, so are the small sandwiches and pastries at the cafe'. The spa is a must!!!

Room Tip: We loved our room which was facing Piccadilly square.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Café Royal hotel. I am delighted to hear about your appreciation of our central London location and guestroom accommodation. All our bathrooms are created exclusively in Carrara marble, a signature throughout the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed The Café and how enthused you were over the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre. I hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Ramsbottom in Bury, Lancashire
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Cafe Royal Hotel in London. I knew it was going to be a special hotel based on the recommendation in the first place but nothing could have prepared us for what could only be described as genuinely the BEST hospitality we have ever known. Literally from entering the hotel on arrival to leaving on day 3, we have been treated like royalty. Our superior Portland suite was nothing less than a tranquil heaven- an enormous king size, incredible decor, quiet and peaceful ambience with all the best technology- every whim and comfort had been thought of. The Grill Room was our first night experience- a slight mix up in that I had booked dinner 2 months prior to our visit and in that time, a cabaret night was organised- which was fully booked. Not only did Nicholas ensure we could attend, he also put us on the front table, served us complimentary champagne and to top it all, a selection of desserts to celebrate my XXth birthday (a lady shouldnt reveal her age!) On the second day, by way of an apology for this mix up, we got a note to say a surprise was waiting- a bottle of champagne and a cake. Seriously, we could never have expected this and it just made the whole experience even more special. The staff were incredibly friendly, the food in the restaurant was very good and the cocktails (best mojito ever and I have tried a few!) were incredible. The location of the hotel is perfect for Covent garden, the Museum, The palace, the shops- we will certainly return one day and may even consider bringing the children.....maybe..... THANK YOU so much Cafe Royal, a truly incredible, unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in a portland suite with upgrade- incredible
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LRH74
Thank you for taking the time to share such a positive review on Café Royal hotel. I am heartened to hear your appreciation of the service provided to you and that you felt like ‘royalty’. Service is my first priority and that of my team and I am delighted to read this exceeded your expectations. I must apologise regarding your booking at the Grill Room, but am delighted this was immediately rectified; I will make sure your kind words are passed on to the team and in particular to Nicolas. I am so pleased you enjoyed our Portland suite accommodation, which have been designed in rusticated Portland stone to mirror the handsome Regent Street façade. Thank you again for sharing such kinds words with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Essex
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed for my husbands 40th birthday and had a great time. Attentive, friendly staff especially Chris our butler, a central location and a lovely suite. Would recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing and luxurious hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you very much for leaving such a warm review after visiting Café Royal hotel for your husband’s milestone birthday. I am delighted to learn your appreciation of our suites and your comments regarding the team. I will make sure your kind words are passed on to Chris and we are looking forward to welcoming you back any soon.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We frequently visit London, and stayed at this hotel in early December. It was by far the best hotel we've stayed in London. The location is fantastic! You can walk around all central London without ever needing to take the tube or a taxi.
The rooms are very spacious and the design is super modern. The bed is HUGE and the bathroom is simply the best. The staff were all very polite and helpful and the cafe on Regent Street serves the best coffee i've had in London.
Overall a great experience - would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Regent Street side!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and to hear your appreciation of the hotel and its location. David Chipperfield Architects has achieved a perfect balance between 21st century contemporary style and the retained grand historic public rooms of the 1860s and 1920s, which have been painstakingly restored in collaboration with historic building architects, Donald Insall Associates.Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our accommodation and our Italian Carrara marble bathrooms, a signature at the hotel; your comments will be shared with all. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.