“Exceptional hotel in the perfect location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #58 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Portland, Oregon
“Exceptional hotel in the perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Cafe Royal is a brilliant addition to London. Our twelve night stay here in December was absolutely perfect. We were in London on a mix of business and pleasure over the Christmas holiday. We had toured the hotel on a previous London trip and so knew that the facilities would be first rate. The hotel is a mix of an ultra modern interior and a beautiful, classic London exterior right on Piccadilly Circus. The junior suite was spacious and well-appointed. The bathroom was perfect-- from the Floris amenities to the heated marble floors to the large shower with bench.

We had breakfast every day and dinner twice. We made use of the splendid cafe and the beautiful health club. We received exceptional, attentive service from Karim Bernichi-- a great concierge for whom nothing was too small or too large.

In short, the Cafe Royal has won my heart. It will be my home in London in future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim H
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal; it was our pleasure to be your home from home during your long stay with us. I am very pleased to read of your appreciation for the hotel’s large guestrooms and the design of the hotel. World famous David Chipperfield Architects has achieved a perfect balance between 21st century style and the retained grand historic public rooms of the 1860s and 1920s, which have been painstakingly restored in collaboration with Historic Building Architects, Donald Insall Associates. I will pass on your kind words to Karim Bernichi and we look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Anthony Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Fantastic hotel, with perfect location and design. All modern, very new with high technology. I loved the classy elevator doors opening on u while u basically expect it to be manual, as its looks classy hand doors. The stairs were kept original which goes well with the art deco new style design.
The stuff are very friendly, mainly french and by surprise at the reception they welcomed me in hungarian, which was a very sweet welcoming. I was escorted right away up to the suite and guided with the rooms technology usage.
The room 222 was very modern and comfortable, located on the second floor at the very corner. It had huge windows all around, even the bathroom had 3 huge windows, which gave a natural light. It has a huge marble bathtub in the middle and a separate walk in shower with a seating area. Have to mention the number of towers, there were 8 big and 8 smaller towers to serve our comfort. A guest toilet is located right at the entrance and an extra one in the bathroom with a glass door. The room gave the homy feeling with its walk in wardrobe, separate kitchen and a big living room. Having dinner in the room is comfortable, meeting can be organized indoor with a great privacy. We had guests for lunch and felt as home, with perfect room service served on the big dining table of the living room. The bedroom is breathy and quite.
The breakfast was fantastic at the cafe royal which is located right to the check-in desk. Bakery, fresh salads and the cakes are incredible, must to try.
The spa area is very breathy with a huge 18 meters pool, swimming temperature and relaxing beds on both sides with complimentary refreshments on the side. Big hammam, sauna and jacuzzi. We had a very nice massage for couples, intense deep tissue.

Room Tip: room 222, its a corner suite, with huge windows and a fantastic view and an amazing bathroom with ma...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for penning your kind words following your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am heartened by your appreciation of the contemporary design of the hotel. We have sensitively restored all areas of historic interest, whilst ensuring comfort for the modern traveller, including triple glazing for complete whisper quietness within the centre of London. Our guestrooms are some of the largest in London and we thank you for your appreciation of our hand carved white Carrara marble bathroom. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre and your appreciation of the cuisine at the hotel; your comments will be passed on to the relevant team members. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed for 5 nights in January with my 13 year-old daughter. We had a very comfortable and clean double bed room with a lot a tech gadgets which made it quite fun for her. The swimming pool in the middle of the spa was perfect. The hotel has a very relaxing atmosphere despite it is right in the middle of busy Picadilly Circus. Breakfast was very good as the mid afternoon meals at the café. Service was first class! So if you can afford it, take it!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jantonio
Thank you for taking the time to share such a positive review on Café Royal hotel after your five night stay. I am delighted to hear about your appreciation of the guestrooms, designed for the 21st century traveller. I am pleased to note you enjoyed the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre and the overall service provided to you. I will make sure to pass on your kinds words to the team and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed here on a recommendation from a friend as it has undergone an extensive four year renovation. What an absolutely divine hotel. A wonderful mix of the ultra modern blended with the beautiful history of the hotel. Just gorgeous. Such a comfortable well appointed and really quiet room. Two outstanding points that must be mentioned are the superb staff, so friendly, nothing is too much trouble and you are made to feel so at home, and the sensible prices! I get so fed up of most of the bar and in room dining prices in high end hotels, particularly in London, but here the pricing is realistic and therefore very enjoyable. You feel you can splurge a little more! A truly fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Portland deluxe really fabulous and so quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your time to review Café Royal hotel. I am delighted to hear of your appreciation of the hotel design. World famous David Chipperfield Architects has achieved a perfect balance between 21st century style and the retained grand historic public rooms of the 1860s and 1920s, which have been painstakingly restored in collaboration with Historic Building Architects, Donald Insall Associates. I am heartened by your comments regarding our service, as this is my first priority and that of my team. I will make sure to pass on your kind words to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Evian-les-Bains, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I have very mixed views about this hotel. I stayed for 4 nights in January. The staff on arrival were very friendly and I was shown to my room quickly after check-in.
My room was fine - modern technology everywhere which worked well and although the bathroom had no bath tub, the overall bedroom and bathroom was good, spacious and reasonably comfortable. There was one irratating thing about the bedroom though - the curtains are automatically and electrically closed but the curtain rail and therefore the curtain does not go to the end of the window which means the street lights make your bedroom quite bright at night - I personally like a dark room and I found this part annoying.
Now onto the restaurant part - this is why I have given my review 3 stars: it was NOT good. I had a business lunch on arrival. The service was sooo slow. The food (when it arrived) was very good but the service so slow. I ordered dessert followed by coffee the problem was that the coffee arrived before the dessert. There were no apologies, nothing at all so I was dissapointed by this. With the prices they charge this should not happen. The restaurant also has no soul or atmosphere and I found actually quite depressing. Breakfast again was a very slow process with the eggs taking 40 minutes to arrive from the time of order. So clearly there is a problem in the kitchens and/or with the staff that needs to be sorted urgently in my opinion.
Check-out was so dissapointing though. I checked out early in the morning (at about 05h45) and requested a taxi. I was told very bluntly by a member of staff that it was not possible to get a taxi at this time of the morning. It was a joke! I asked again and was told by another member of staff the same thing. I took my belongings, went outside and flagged down a taxi within 2 minutes.
Either the staff do not care about their departing guests or they have no notion of service. Which ever way I will not be back in a hurry.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank manil0u
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal during your stay with us. I was most concerned to learn of the points you raised. Any feedback is important to me and I am most appreciative to you for your critical feedback as it allows us to continually strive for a better guest experience. I would like to talk to you personally about your comments and have sent you my details by private message. Please do get in touch.

Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

This hotel was such a pleasant surprise. I have visited London countless times, always staying in Mayfair hotels.

When I was told that plans had changed and that we would be staying in Cafe Royal on Regent's Street, I wasn't very happy. I had never heard of it, and was quite sure I'd prefer Grosvener Square over lower Regent's Street.

Though now being so pleased with my stay, I felt compelled to write my first review on Trip Advisor.

First of all, it is a beautiful and tasteful hotel. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly; being asked several times during the week if everything was going well with our stay.

The Portland Deluxe Guest Room:

The room door, leads to a reception room where there are two more doors; one leading to your room, and one other. This is especially handy for when having booked two rooms: you don't need to worry about bumping into a stranger half dressed in the hallway. The double-door also ensures the rooms are virtually sound proof! Didn't hear the faintest noise during our stay.

Truly a huge bathroom made entirely of white Italian marble. Two sinks, with opaque glass doors separating the shower and toilet. This was really useful when getting ready simultaneously with the other guest in the morning. Not to mention the rain-like shower- fantastic!

With regard to technology, it is clear that the hotel is brand new, very hi-tech:
-The card readers just need to be hovered over the room number to unlock the door
- The flat screen TV has a motion senser which finds where you are in the room and angles itself towards you
- There is a TV behind the mirror in the bathroom which is invisible when not on
- There are many button options by the door you can press to let staff now to either: clean the room, do not disturb, etc.
-Free Wifi (strange how this still feels like a luxury in this day and age!)
-Personal Espresso Machine, capsules, as well as a selection of teas; milk sugar mugs etc supplied in the mini-kitchen
Other small touches like the newspapers hung on the door every morning and automatic curtains made the stay so comfortable.

The location was great, and you literally don't need to take taxi's anywhere. This makes dining/shopping in London so easy.

I am already so excited for my stay in March when I return!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel. I am pleased to hear your appreciation of the design and comfort of our guestrooms; our Portland style guestrooms are created in rusticated Portland Stone, to mirror the architecture seen on the handsome Regent Street façade. Throughout the hotel all our bathrooms are created in Carrara marble and high tech features have been implemented for the comfort of the 21st century traveller. I am heartened we met your expectations and my team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel in March.

Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

During my business career I enjoyed many a splendid function at luxuriously ornate The Cafe Royal, most memorable were the Boxing Evenings, where black suit and dicky bow were the order of the day, and silence was strictly enforced during each round.

With those marvelous impressions of yesterday still in my mind it was with a degree of trepidation that we stayed for a weekend at the recently converted hotel, wondering whether it could possibly match up to what it had been. I needn't have worried because The Cafe Royal Hotel is an absolutely top flight 5 star hotel that has retained its unique atmosphere of gilded opulence and decadence throughout the common parts but has introduced a very modern decor, furnishings and cutting-edge technology to the bedrooms. The bed was without doubt was the most comfortable that we have experienced anywhere in the world.

The service was very helpful, attentive without being overbearing and most importantly very friendly. We had a very good family reunion dinner in the Ten Grill, and really loved The Cafe which we visited 5 times during our stay.

With its prominent position at the crossroads of Regent Street, Piccadilly, Shaftesbury Avenue, and Soho and Chinatown. it is superbly placed for shopping, theatre, and sightseeing.

This is one hell of a good, classy, exciting, and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BOUGHTON1
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you very much for sharing such a warm review after visiting Café Royal hotel. I was delighted to read of your past visits to the former Café Royal and that the reincarnated Café Royal hotel was so well received. David Chipperfield Architects, who was responsible for the design, has achieved a perfect balance between 21st Century style and the retained grand historic public rooms of the 1860s and 1920s. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Ten Room, the iconic Grill Room and our very central London position, which you identified as being ideal for theatreland, Mayfair, Soho and sightseeing/shopping. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.