“Disappointed!”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #53 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here on the 14th February 2014.

Before I mention our complaint, I will review the other aspects of our stay.

Excellent location, good parking facilities, rooms are a good size, bathrooms luxurious - rainfall walk in shower and huge bath. Lots of high tech bits in the room like the B&O motion detector TV and a hidden television in the bathroom mirror. The room was rather modern and all gadgets were in black. The general area of the hotel is very grand and the design is beautiful throughout.

The staff and service were excellent.

On booking we requested a quiet room as my wife had been unwell in the weeks preceding our stay. We stayed in room 302. On returning after eating out we went to bed and made a point off turning off the air conditioning. However, soon after dozing off to sleep we were awoken by the air con coming on and off in the hall way area, with a “clicking” before going off. I got up checked it was turned off on the switch, which it was, and then went back to bed. Approximately every half hour throughout the night it kept turning on and off waking us up, and as you can imagine several times I got up checked the whole bedroom area, hall area and bathroom looking for another air con unit which I thought might be somewhere in the room, Albeit all to no avail!
On having tea in the room at 0600 hours we reported this to the room service attendant who witnessed the air con was off but kept coming on in the hall way area. Before breakfast we reported it to the front desk and an engineer attended our room who also witnessed the air con was off but kept coming on the hall way area. He said he would file a report and get it investigated.

Our visit was ruined with broken sleep. On leaving we given 25% discount, which was not very good as bearing in mind the hotel was fully aware we had an awful sleep and also new we requested a quiet room. If I was not so tired I would off argued the point! (I know about customer service)

We were told that a manager would be calling us, but to date which is over a week after our stay has not happened. I will be writing to the hotel shortly.

Room Tip: Don't get room 302!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PaulandSarah6364
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for your review after your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am so pleased to read that our very central London location, Carrara marble bathroom and 21st century technology throughout the guestrooms were such a hit. I am also very happy to read you found our service and staff to be excellent. However, I am most concerned regarding your air conditioning comment and your disturbed sleep as a result. I have sent you my contact details via private message as I would like to speak to you personally about this. Please do get in touch.

Anthony Lee

Write a ReviewReviews (1,378)

Reviewed 17 February 2014

A minimalist experience - very refreshing if you are satiated with overdecorated and over-accessorized hotels. Rooms are either bare stone walls or bare wooden walls; bathrooms bare marble, corridors bare wood (though carpeted in a muted colour). Occasional patches of gorgeous art deco (lifts, staircase, grill room) presumably left over from the original Cafe Royal.

Very high tech with everything from automatic curtain controls to traffic light system for room servicing and all IT connections you could want.

Bedrooms and bathrooms were spacious and well laid out - the underfloor heating in the bathrooms was a pleasure. The quality of the towels and bed linen was excellent and the bed the most comfortable I have ever slept in.

The only downside if you are older and your eyesight is not so good is that the lighting is very low level including in the corridors and restaurant - we had to have a table light in order to be able to see our food!!

The staff could not have been more friendly and attentive in a very English sort of way. Always there when you needed them and never there when you did not. Check in and check out were excellent too.

Food (we only had breakfast there) was excellent and freshly cooked for each individual. We did not avail ourselves of the spa facilites but expect that they would be of the same high standard.

Overall a great pleasure to stay at this hotel - real luxury which of course comes at a price but one that is worth paying if you can afford it or get a special deal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Malcolm M
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Café Royal hotel with us. I am heartened by your kind comments regarding our staff and the facilities on offer throughout the hotel. I am most pleased we were able to demonstrate how important customer service is to us and I have passed on your feedback to the team members, who join me in thanking you for your kind patronage.

We hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the not too distant future

Reviewed 16 February 2014

stayed for 2 nights in January with my friend. We had a very comfortable and clean double bed room. The swimming pool in the middle of the spa was perfect. The hotel has a very relaxing atmosphere despite it is right in the middle of busy Piccadilly Circus.Service was first class! So if you can afford it, take it!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mark g

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at Café Royal hotel; I am so pleased you had such an enjoyable stay in our guestrooms. I was delighted you found our central London location to your liking and thank you for your kind endorsement regarding the service, the spa and the overall atmosphere. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here on the valentines package - beautiful hotel, as said in many reviews, rooms are a good size, bathrooms luxurious - rainfall walk in shower and huge bath big enough to share! Lots of high tech in the room like the B&O motion detector TV and a hidden tv in the bathroom mirror. Good wifi. Seven course evening meal was spectacular and delicious! Wine that came with each course was really well matched with the food. Grill room legendary. The public area's of the hotel are very grand and the design is beautiful throughout. Breakfast in the room is a real occasion, easily the best in room breakfast I have ever had. We used the spa also which is huge and unbelievably luxurious, it's located on the lower ground floor (used to be the old wine cellars) and can highly recommend the Gentlemen's facial and Swedish massage. Hotel location great for an easy stroll to Liberty, Carnaby street etc. One point to note is that if you stay on a package it's generally much better value. Do note - service charges are discretional but automatically get added to the checkout invoice, covering service for any bar drinks, meals, breakfast etc (this is of course fine but we had already tipped the waiting staff in cash) so just be aware.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I was delighted you enjoyed your valentines ‘Love is in the Air’ package. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed all elements of the hotel from the guestrooms and the technology available as standard; to the seven course valentines meal; to the spa. I will make sure to pass on your kind words to the team and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Cafe Royal is a brilliant addition to London. Our twelve night stay here in December was absolutely perfect. We were in London on a mix of business and pleasure over the Christmas holiday. We had toured the hotel on a previous London trip and so knew that the facilities would be first rate. The hotel is a mix of an ultra modern interior and a beautiful, classic London exterior right on Piccadilly Circus. The junior suite was spacious and well-appointed. The bathroom was perfect-- from the Floris amenities to the heated marble floors to the large shower with bench.

We had breakfast every day and dinner twice. We made use of the splendid cafe and the beautiful health club. We received exceptional, attentive service from Karim Bernichi-- a great concierge for whom nothing was too small or too large.

In short, the Cafe Royal has won my heart. It will be my home in London in future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim H

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal; it was our pleasure to be your home from home during your long stay with us. I am very pleased to read of your appreciation for the hotel’s large guestrooms and the design of the hotel. World famous David Chipperfield Architects has achieved a perfect balance between 21st century style and the retained grand historic public rooms of the 1860s and 1920s, which have been painstakingly restored in collaboration with Historic Building Architects, Donald Insall Associates. I will pass on your kind words to Karim Bernichi and we look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Fantastic hotel, with perfect location and design. All modern, very new with high technology. I loved the classy elevator doors opening on u while u basically expect it to be manual, as its looks classy hand doors. The stairs were kept original which goes well with the art deco new style design.
The stuff are very friendly, mainly french and by surprise at the reception they welcomed me in hungarian, which was a very sweet welcoming. I was escorted right away up to the suite and guided with the rooms technology usage.
The room 222 was very modern and comfortable, located on the second floor at the very corner. It had huge windows all around, even the bathroom had 3 huge windows, which gave a natural light. It has a huge marble bathtub in the middle and a separate walk in shower with a seating area. Have to mention the number of towers, there were 8 big and 8 smaller towers to serve our comfort. A guest toilet is located right at the entrance and an extra one in the bathroom with a glass door. The room gave the homy feeling with its walk in wardrobe, separate kitchen and a big living room. Having dinner in the room is comfortable, meeting can be organized indoor with a great privacy. We had guests for lunch and felt as home, with perfect room service served on the big dining table of the living room. The bedroom is breathy and quite.
The breakfast was fantastic at the cafe royal which is located right to the check-in desk. Bakery, fresh salads and the cakes are incredible, must to try.
The spa area is very breathy with a huge 18 meters pool, swimming temperature and relaxing beds on both sides with complimentary refreshments on the side. Big hammam, sauna and jacuzzi. We had a very nice massage for couples, intense deep tissue.

Room Tip: room 222, its a corner suite, with huge windows and a fantastic view and an amazing bathroom with ma...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for penning your kind words following your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am heartened by your appreciation of the contemporary design of the hotel. We have sensitively restored all areas of historic interest, whilst ensuring comfort for the modern traveller, including triple glazing for complete whisper quietness within the centre of London. Our guestrooms are some of the largest in London and we thank you for your appreciation of our hand carved white Carrara marble bathroom. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre and your appreciation of the cuisine at the hotel; your comments will be passed on to the relevant team members. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed for 5 nights in January with my 13 year-old daughter. We had a very comfortable and clean double bed room with a lot a tech gadgets which made it quite fun for her. The swimming pool in the middle of the spa was perfect. The hotel has a very relaxing atmosphere despite it is right in the middle of busy Picadilly Circus. Breakfast was very good as the mid afternoon meals at the café. Service was first class! So if you can afford it, take it!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jantonio

Thank you for taking the time to share such a positive review on Café Royal hotel after your five night stay. I am delighted to hear about your appreciation of the guestrooms, designed for the 21st century traveller. I am pleased to note you enjoyed the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre and the overall service provided to you. I will make sure to pass on your kinds words to the team and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.