“Best concierge in London” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #58 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Salcombe
“Best concierge in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Great location for buzz of city life Piccadilly end of Regent Street, no problems with parking as helpful doorman whisked car away and brought back promptly when required. More golden key concierge than I have seen in a long while, all impressively efficient and very personable. Remember if you are visiting this year, it has been a mamouth project to redevelop this difficult site and bear with it, from what I here much is planned and it will be very special. There is a distinct style about it and with such choices there will always be an element of marmite, some will love while others wont appreciate it. Far better than the bland of a chain. Anthony Lee who affectionate's will know from The Connaught's hey day and The Mayfair's renaissance is now at the helm and the future is bright

Room Tip: The Green Bar for an intimate haunt
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Keith Makepeace
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Thank you for penning your review about your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am very pleased to read of your appreciation of the renovation. Led by David Chipperfield Architects, Café Royal has been sensitively restored, maintaining historic detail but now combined with a modern and contemporary elegance. I am also happy to note your kind comments regarding our Concierge team. I do hope the team and I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Anthony Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Have just returned from a weekend theatre break (1night - 1/2 March) in London with my wife and son. This is truly an exceptional hotel. Staff are friendly attentive and the surroundings are beautiful. We booked the weekend indulgence package and on arrival were upgraded to a beautiful Portland Deluxe room. Room wasn't quite ready when we arrived and we were treated to tea and home made biscuits in the Ten Room. We arrived in our room which beautiful with B and O TV, all the gadgets but very user friendly and a massive and extremely comfy bed. But enough about the surroundings and not to mention the location, cannot be beaten for theatre - land!! What sets Cafe Royal Hotel apart is its food, just brilliant. We had the most amazing pre-theatre meal of tuna tartare (with radish and chilli), beef carpaccio (with truffle - exceptional) and then chicken and wild sea bass. Truly some of the best food we have had in London. Breakfast was equally good, beautiful pastries, exceptional bacon and sausage and perfectly cooked eggs, again with excellent service. Particular mention goes to the brilliant restaurant manager (the guy with the glasses) who served us on Saturday pre theatre dinner, he made our and our sons evening. We will definitely be back! Amazing experience....

Room Tip: Book your table for breakfast as it gets busy and even though there is a lot of restaurant choice in...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ansteytraveller1
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal hotel during your stay with us. I would firstly like to apologise for the delay in your room not initially being available. I am very pleased to read of your appreciation for the Portland Deluxe Guestroom and the amenities we provide. I have passed on your kind thanks to executive head chef Andrew Turner and his culinary team, who join me in thanking you for your patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was my second visit to the Cafe Royal after having previously stayed here in September for three nights. I brought it forward a little (was planning April) but since the Stephen Ward musical was scheduled to close on 1st March this prompted my earlier return. The doormen were their usual courteous demeanour as I had remembered, however the check in was.....awful.... Clearly I was an inconvenience.......the girl on the Check In desk was 'synthetic' and could not wait to 'get rid of me'.........so much so when we tried to access our room the room cards did not allow us access. A trip back down to Check In was met with disdain......but it would have helped enormously if she had actually activated the cards in first instance......not a great impression....... On eventually gaining access to the room I noticed there was no bath.......phone call to Check In.......and yes, the same female, who hastily stated that the hotel was busy and was clearly not interested in my disappointment. Breakfast was okay...........we ate every day in the restaurant. We visited the Spa for a little tour - the girl (beautician) who took us round was excellent. On the day we checked out there was some filming activity on our floor with cables and strips all over the corridor floor............again when we went to access the lifts we almost felt we should apologise as it was clearly interrupting the filming............ Very disappointed in my stay and despite my previous review of this hotel which was glowing.....I would really have to think twice about staying here again.......as the sparkle is just about fading and ready to extinguish........................

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Susanne K
Thank you for staying at Café Royal hotel for your second stay. I am so disappointed to read this stay was not as enjoyable as your first and would very much like to speak to you personally about this. I have sent you my contact details by private message, so please do get in touch.

Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Let me start with the good stuff: The greeting at the front (side?) door was very friendly, and the bellmen recognized my throughout my stay.

The hotel is modern and well furnished.

Upon check-in, I was sold a "special" for breakfast, 10 quid off. (I'll get back to that) I was quite looking forward to my breakfast.

Oddly, the room I got looked extremely different from the pictures I had seen online (this was a very modern room on the top floor, whereas the one I had seen when booked looked both much larger and more traditionally decorated), but heck, two nights on my own. Who cares?

No bathtub though, always a downer for me, and the water pressure in England is what it is (almost impossible to wash your hair thoroughly, but I guess that's a challenge for all hotels in the Thames Valley)

Here are the things I struggled with:
- temperature. The thermostat for the AC was on vacation. When I came into my room, the 22 degrees felt like 17 in the bedroom, yet the bathroom floor was hot to the touch. I started freezing and turned the heat up, only to sweat half to death at night, when suddenly something else came on and the airflow was turned off? I didn't get a decent temperature until I left.

- technology. Now I'm no fiend of technology. I quite love it, but push one button and all the lights go on, push another and nothing happens, the traditional card you hang out to show you need service or a DND is replaced by a knob to turn, and a tiny red LED inside the room to show what you've selected. Apparently, when I left the room Friday morning, I had left it on DND and didn't get the room cleaned all day (when I came back, the red LED was not on inside the room, which is what was confusing. Not sure I like the idea of having to look outside to see if the DND is on or not. On the upside, the cleaning crew came immediately and they cleaned the room promptly!

- Breakfast. Expensive, but what isn't in London? The service is rather slow and the food, well, English bland. Having been sold a "special", I was half expecting a buffet, but was confused to see a menu to choose from. So if my breakfast was 25 quid instead of 35, and you choose a 18 pound selection, then what? Confusing. At check-out, they took off today's breakfast, which was 28 quid with all the service charges. I'm still confused.

- The Grill Bar (or is it called the Oscar Wilde Bar? There's very conflicting messages about this in the hotel) I got an invite for two glasses of champagne and a "platter of delicacies" and was looking forward to that, as I had expected two guests that night. My guests opted for beer, so I got the two glasses just for myself, but no sign of the "platter"… I was too busy talking to my friends to even notice, and I guess the nuts and chips (crisps in London) compensated a bit for that oversight.

- There's plenty of staff at the hotel, in fact, at times you wonder what they're all doing, as they stand in pairs of two chatting. But they're always greeting you, and making you feel welcome, but it still leaves a somewhat odd feeling.

- The pillows. A disaster. I slept miserably, and not even piling three of them on top of each other did my neck any good. But I was way too tired last night to call and ask if they had a decent pillow for me. I guess I should've.

- The guests. Nothing I can complain about, certainly not the hotel's fault, but as a father away from a baby for the first time in 11 months, I was really looking forward to catching some shut-eye. Being woken up several times Friday night by loud, drunk, singing and shouting party goers from 1 to 4 am is not what I expect at a hotel like this. I guess the top floor is no insurance against a bad upbringing…

Almost 900 pounds later, I really want to like this hotel, I still see the smile of the bellman before me, and the swift hands of the housekeepers as they cleaned my room last night, and how effortlessly my car was organized this morning. But, there's just too much that doesn't fit the picture. In a city as large as London, the competition in this category is sharp like a knife's edge and I have plenty of choices, and I'm sure I'll return. I'm just too conflicted...

Room Tip: I'd actually avoid the seventh floor, as not all elevators go there. It's always embarrassin...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Hans H
Thank you for sharing your review after your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am most disappointed to read your comments about your stay and would like to speak to you personally about this. I have sent you my contact details by private message, so please do get in touch.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

We spent one night at the Cafe Royal Hotel on the 24th February, and I can honestly say it is the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in! From start to finish the service was excellent, and we were made to feel that nothing was too much trouble. The decor throughout the hotel is exquisite, especially in the Oscar Wilde bar which has been wonderfully restored to capture some of the elegance and history of the building.

We selected a Portland Deluxe room for our stay, and we requested a room with a view of Regent Street, from which we expected there to be some road noise. However, we heard nothing (and the blackout curtains were handy, to stop the blinding light from the adverts in Piccadilly Circus!). I mentioned that the stay was for my husband's birthday, so the hotel gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne and a cake from the hotel's patisserie. This was a lovely surprise and just enhanced our stay further.

The marble bathroom was stunning, and I loved the small television set into the mirror. The high-tech panels were excellent, including the ones next to the bed, so you don't even have to get up to open the curtains!

All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Louise B
Thank you for taking the time to share such a positive review on Café Royal hotel. I am heartened to hear your appreciation of the service provided to you. I am so pleased you enjoyed our Portland Deluxe Guestrooms, which have been designed in rusticated Portland stone to mirror the handsome Regent Street façade. Thank you again for sharing such kinds words with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I was a bit skeptical about the location before my stay at The Cafe Royal Hotel - busy streets around and I love to sleep with an open window. The location proved to be nearly perfect - you will hear more noise at night in a small boutique hotel, going out to a small street with a few cafes around, than here (my windows were going out into the courtyard). Another big plus of the location is that there is a handful of good restaurants within a hand's reach, such as Novikov, Hakkasan Berkeley Square, Benares, etc. The restaurant of the hotel is quite good as well! Maybe not that happening or atmospheric as the famous neighbors, but the food was good. The size of the rooms was mentioned by other reviewers already. What I wanted to add from my side - please, find some time to go to the Spa. I know, that we usually travel to big cities with a different purpose than a massage, but trust me,the massage I had at The Cafe Royal Hotel's Spa, performed by incredible Coralie, was one of the best I have ever had! And I had a lot in my travel career. I highly recommend Coralie (maybe other therapists are as good).
To make a long story short, with all my preferences for more quiet areas in London, I indeed loved my stay at Cafe Royal Hotel and will be back there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Inga B
Thank you for taking the time to share you experience at Café Royal hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we will pass on your kind words to our team regarding the service you received. Thank you also for sharing your experience during your time at the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre. I am delighted by your kind comments and that you enjoyed our serene urban retreat so much. I will pass on your note of thanks to Karine Veniere, Akasha Manager, who joins me in thanking you for your patronage of Akasha.

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

My family had already arranged something for my 60th, but I wanted to go away with my three closest friends that I had know for 49 years. Out of the four of us I was the last one to reach 60 so I decided I wanted to stay somewhere special and chose the Cafe Royal. Unfortunately just a few days previous one of my friends injured her leg and was unable to come, such a blow. Anyway
how delighted we three were, the hotel, ambience and staff were all first class. It started when our black cab pulled up outside the hotel and we were greeted with our welcome but to me Happy Birthday, how did they know it was me who was 60! Suddenly and quietly all our luggage disappeared and we were welcomed and taken to the hotel reception to book in.

We had arrived around 13:20 so only one room was ready, I had booked two twin Portland Delux rooms. Anyway we were taken to the one room that was ready and with our luggage now all put in place. We were shown around the room by a wonderful lady who pointed out all the things we needed to know. Once she left us we then were about to leave to go out and about but then the door bell rang and in came two cafe royal people armed with Champagne and the most wonderful birthday cake. This was curtesy of the hotel and absolutely wonderful, the cake was amazing raspberry and lime, I wish I could have bought some to take home it was so delicious and I am not normaly a cake person.
The rest of the day was taken up with shopping and and sight seeing and Cream Tea at the Criterion curtesy of my friend Laraine. She knows I love Dowton Abbey and this place was used to film a part because of its Art Deco interior. Then off to Fortnum and Mason for some shopping.

We returned to our hotel and every staff member we passed kept wishing me happy birthday it made me feel so special. After showers and preparing ourselves for the evening we had dinner in the Ten Room. It was out of this world, I have never tasted anything so wonderful, my friends included was astounded at the sheer perfection of all the dishes we chose. This was rounded off with once again me receiving and a Happy birthday and candle. We then went to the bar for some more drinks and and drank in the atmosphere by 1 am we went to our rooms and chatted to around 2 about how wonderful with hotel was and how well we were looked after.
The rooms were incredible, extremely clean, completely soundproof (you would never know you were on Regents Street) most amazingly comfortable beds and all the electronic mod cons you could wish for. There was even a tv in the bathroom mirror, how cool is that.
All too soon it came to an end and after a wonderful breakfast it was time to pack and leave which none of us wanted to do. It may be out of people's price range but my friends and I have decided to return because we want that special service and the kind generous attention that we received from all members of staff. So I don't think we will not wait for another big birthday I think in our retirements and after I especially have had to undergo lots of operations I feel we all need that something special and that came from The Cafe Royal. My friends and I certainly recommend this hotel it is something wonderful.

Room Tip: Remember to take swimsuit as I forgot mine so was unable to use the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sue4398
Thank you for penning your review on Café Royal hotel. I am delighted you all enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for choosing Café Royal hotel to celebrate your milestone birthday. It is wonderful to read how enthused you were over the hotel and all the facilities. and I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the team and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.