“Absolutely perfect!”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #45 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My daughter and I spent 5 nights here at the beginning of March. Our stay couldn't have been any nicer. The hotel is not only in a great location (central to everything), it is also the perfect combination of old-world charm and modern sleek. Our room was large by and standard, and the bathroom was modern and luxurious. The quiet wood-panneled hallways also give a sense of privacy.
The restaurant and the bar were both fantastic. Breakfast is elegant and delicious. We had drinks in the bar that were so good that I can't even describe what they were. Something with vodka and lychee?
The concierge was so helpful too. Every dinner reservation was made before we even arrived, and the cheerfully helped us plan our route for the day.
I would stay at the Cafe Royal again without a minute's hesitation!

Room Tip: We were on a high floor. So quiet!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at Café Royal hotel. I am very happy to read your daughter and you enjoyed your 5 night stay with us and I will pass on your kind words to members of the team. Café Royal hotel has some of the largest guestrooms in London and I am particularly pleased to learn of your appreciation of these and your enjoyment of the cuisine and our central London location. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Cafe Royal

Reviewed 18 March 2014

After hearing so much about the Cafe Royal London, we have decided to spend an evening it the hotel, enjoying its facilities as bar and restaurant.
We have been amazed by the outstanding art decoration and fabulous costumer service .
Our first visit was at The Bar, where we were hosted by very cheerful bar staff .
I had a Rum Crusta, which was perfectly mixed, my girlfrien had a non alcoholic Britannia which she loved .
The dinner in the Ten Room was fabulous, well balanced with great and professional service.
We decided to go and enjoy a digestive in The Bar, where we actually asked for the same drinks like before.
When we received our order first I thought that the waiting staff made a mistake, but it turned out the the cocktails were the same but very much differently presented, in different glass and my Crusta over ice.
Despite this consistency issue in the bar we really enjoyed our time spent in Cafe Royal and we will return soon ...
Highly recommend

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent visit to Café Royal hotel. I was delighted to read of your satisfaction about our facilities and services from the team. I have passed on your kind words to executive chef Andrew Turner and his culinary team regarding the cuisine you so enjoyed in the Ten Room. Whilst I note your appreciation of The Bar and the cocktails you enjoyed, I was sorry to learn there was an inconsistency in the orders and offer my sincere apologies. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to Café Royal hotel on many more occasions.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Where to begin......Modern hotel, spotlessly clean with a wonderful ambience. Bedrooms are spacious, with a lovely large bathroom and underfloor heating. Seperate toilet and rainshower. Bed is large and ery comfortable. The location is just superb, close to theatres, cinemas, restaurants, nightlife and shopping. The staff are very friendly and helpful, cannot do enough to make one feel welcome.Breakfast was excellent. Love the "Oscar Wilde" bar, decorated so over the top but loved it! And all of this this does not come cheap, but the question is 'Is it worth it to pay the extra?" which one have to answer to "Yes, Yes and Yes" again!

Room Tip: I dont think their is much of a view for any of the rooms except for the top floor, but it does not...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share such a positive review on Café Royal hotel after your recent stay. I am delighted to hear about your appreciation of the guestrooms, designed for the 21st century traveller. I am pleased to note you enjoyed our central London location and the iconic Oscar Wilde Bar. I will make sure to pass on your kinds words to the team and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We have chosen this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and boy it did exceed our expectations. We booked two nights at a junior suite (Mansard style).. The moments we walked in we were welcomed by everyone. Ahmad at the reception was wonderful he gave us a tour of the hotel and showed us the different types of rooms they have. The lobby is breathtaking combining both classic and modern styles in a creative way. The elevators are replicas of the originals and they are so unique. Hallways are covered with wood panels which added to the warmth and beauty of the hotel. The room was roomy and beautiful with all the wood panels and the high tech gadgets (Bang & Olufsen) all around. The bathroom is huge and stunning covered with carrera marble.. The room is spotless clean. The location is fantastic; close to everything.. It's in the middle if Piccadilly street with all the shopping you could ever ask for. All the landmarks are within walking distance. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and we will definitely return back whenever we're in London. Thank you Cafe Royal for making our stay a more enjoyable one.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to hear your appreciation of the renovation of the hotel, designed for the 21st century traveller. David Chipperfield Architects was the lead architect in the hotel restoration, where modern elegance has been carefully paired with historical style and glamour. I am very happy to read your enjoyment of the guestrooms including the Mansard Junior Suite and all the in-room amenities. I hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at cafe royal for valentines weekend...and it was just amazing! The rooms were of the highest standard, the staff were extremely attentive and welcoming and the spa was the best I've ever visited. Really great location! Would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Yellowbear213

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I was delighted that your time with us was so enjoyable. I am very pleased to read of your appreciation of our central London location and of the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre. Thank you also for your kind comments about the team and service received and I will be sure to pass on your special thanks to all. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

My four night stay at the Cafe Royal was an excellent experience. Staff made for a warm welcome and efficient check-in, and the Portland Deluxe room was superb. Not only was it spacious, but the room came with brilliant facilities and amenities: Floris bath products, a B&O TV, a TV in the bathroom mirror, a Nespresso machine, a heated bathroom floor, and more. Turndown service was a treat, as was the selection of TV channels (Sky F1 was a favourite!)

The room service was excellent, and I enjoyed my breakfast each morning. I also tried the Akasha Spa, which I found to be very good – worth a swim and sauna break. Concierge was very helpful in securing hard to get dinner reservations.

The location was top-notch: walking distance to shopping, theatres, attractions, and there's an underground station just outside, as well as many well-serviced bus routes nearby.

Maintenance issues with my bathtub plug and the room's window were literally solved in 5min. Very impressive.

The bar probably isn't worth a visit, but with everything else being to the standard it was, I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. I am heartened to read how enthused you were over the hotel and the special extra touches we include in our guestrooms; I hope this added to the comfort of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

My wife and I stayed for a couple of nights last weekend in a Portland room.
Brilliant :-)
Big, airy and spacious with a mega-comfy bed.
All the gizmos worked and the whole in-room experience was first class.
The hotel bars and dining areas are beautiful... a bit pricey but not stupidly so.
The reception, check-in / out was simple and the doorman was most pleasant.
The location in Piccadilly is perfect for strolling anywhere you want to go around the West End.

All-in-all we had a great weekend and The Cafe Royal was the star of the show.... Thank you !!

Room Tip: We stayed in the most basic room and it had everything... No idea what else can possibly be extra in...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MandGLechlade

Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guestrooms are some of the largest in London and we take pride that each feels almost like a suite or private apartment. David Chipperfield Architects was the lead architect in the hotel restoration, where modern elegance has been carefully paired with historical style and glamour. I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the team and I hope to welcome yo back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.