“Probably the best in London.”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #55 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Old school elegant coffee bar, delightful atrium and a quiet and chilled green bar all make up for a fantastic entry into this wonderful hotel.

The staff are great and although out room was not quite ready, they tool us on a guided tour of the hotel, but the room itself was perfect and designed expertly.

One can write about superlative service, friendly staff, great cocktails, but what sets this place apart is the attention to detail; the beautifully restored elevators, the brass fittings and mosiac tiles, plus being in probably the best location in London for exploring by foot, this is a winner.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank OLPOL
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your positive review. I am pleased to read your appreciation of our attention to detail and thrilled that our bar and spacious guestrooms were to your liking. Your comments will be passed on to my team. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon and exceeding your expectations further on your next visit to Café Royal hotel.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Location was fantastic ... Theatre , restaurants , shops etc ... All right outside your hotel not further than a 5 minute walk . Super clean , efficient staff , great service :) I highly recommend it ..
Not 1 bad comment .. I'll definitely go back

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback following your stay at Café Royal hotel. I am very pleased to read your kind comments regarding the service you received and that you enjoyed our Central London location. I will pass on your note to my team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at the Cafe Royal hotel near Piccadilly Circus to celebrate my birthday with my wife and daughter after an extensive search of Central London hotels. I've previously stayed at the Metropolitan (which was my favourite till now), the Sanderson, the Charlotte Street Hotel, the Ampersand, the Ecclestone Square Hotel, the Hyatt Churchill, the Park Lane Hotel and Belgraves amongst others. The Cafe Royal hotel now tops all of these for me!

On arrival I found that I had not been upgraded despite having booked as a Tablet Plus member (so I should be upgraded if there is availability). The guy on Reception was very apologetic and gave us a double upgrade to make up for this!

Unfortunately our room was not ready so he suggested coming back in an hour. We went out for lunch (so many options nearby since you're almost on top of Piccadilly Circus!) We went back over an hour later and the room still was not ready! The Reception staff invited us to have a coffee, tea or anything else we would like, at their expense, from the lovely cafe attached to the lobby. The cafe serves amazing cakes, macaroons and other desserts amongst some of the most amazing salted caramel hot chocolate I've ever drunk! Anyway, we had cake and hot drinks and didn't pay for any of it! Very well dealt with.

So we finally got up to our room (via the lovely lift area which had the most amazing flower arrangement) and it was lovely, large and clean. I have no idea how much it would have cost if we had paid for this level of room outright, probably quite a lot! It had a large entrance area with a central place to sit. The bathroom was off this area and had lovely heated marble floors (so many hotels have marble floors that are not heated, do they realise how cold these floors are?!) The bathroom had a huge rainfall shower as well as a large bath and two sinks.

The bedroom had quite a large sitting/working area with a gorgeous B&O TV, one of those that automagically swivels around when you switch it on! The bed was large enough to for the three of us to sleep in. WiFi was free, fast and could be used by multiple devices.

We were there for a few nights. My wife had spoken to Reception and told them it was my birthday and on one of the nights a lovely cake and bottle of champagne was left in my room with a nice message. Very awesome!

My car was valet parked and frequently we would stand outside and chat to the doorman while waiting for the car and he was very nice and friendly.

We had breakfast at the hotel and the food was lovely but I was a little disappointed that there was no full veggie English so I had a nice omelette instead with a few sides. I had continental breakfast included in my rate but they allowed me to switched this out for the cooked breakfast and didn't even charge me the difference!

The other thing we really enjoyed was the lovely swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, which we had free access to. Quite often they were completely empty and we had them all to ourselves! The pool is a really good size too.

All in all, we had a fabulous stay there and I can't wait to go back again.

Great service and great refurbished venue - I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Any room is probably awesome. If you can face towards Regent Street it would be pretty cool I think...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your recent stay at café Royal hotel and for your kind words. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our special guestroom accommodation, beautiful flower arrangements and found our staff to be so welcoming. I will pass on your kind note to our front office team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed here whilst seeing Derren Brown and my husband and I had such fun. The room was beautiful and well equipped and immaculately clean. I love the decor of the hotel. It's different to anywhere else we've stayed. In the morning we ordered a slap up breakfast from room service and we had a table, tablecloth, flowers, delectable food all brought into our room. I adored the heated floor in the bathroom and the TV screen that looks like a mirror. Wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for sharing your positive feedback after your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and adored the décor of the hotel and guestroom features. I hope to welcome you and your husband again soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Having stayed at a number of London’s leading hotels over the last few years, I looked forward to my short stay at one of the capital’s newest – Café Royal – having read some excellent reviews. In summary – a luxurious, central hotel with (on the whole) high levels of service. Rooms (5 star); Front of House (5 star); Pool (5 star); Bars & Restaurants (3 stars). More detail should you wish…

The Arrival:-
On arrival by car, baggage handlers quickly took care of the luggage. Directions to reception (by the staff or signage) was lacking. The Concierge desk is in fact the first you reach however is indistinguishable from the reception desk. Having arrived mid-morning from a long-haul flight, I was very pleased to find the reception clerk was able to update my room allocation to a room which was nearly ready. Reception staff were very welcoming – professional, friendly and demonstrating genuine warmth. After a short wait in the café, I was shown to a Mansard Room.

The Room:-
The Mansard room was spacious for London (approx. 32 sq metres), with a king bed, desk and sofa – and bathroom with rain water shower. The water pressure could be improved. WiFi was complementary. The turn down service had the added touch of a pillow spray. Housekeeping staff were prompt to fulfil any request.

The Bar:-
The hotel has two bars – its main one, and the Oscar Wilde bar (however the later is closed on a Sunday). The main bar had an interesting cocktail selection. Staff were pleasant, however the wait service was average – e.g. inattentive once initially served and lacking attention to detail (passing a menu opened but upside down, not providing a pen for signing when requesting to room charge, etc). In addition, a staff member frequently was ‘playing’ with their mobile. All pretty minor items but not what I’d expect from a luxury London hotel.

The Restaurant:-
Arriving soon after the breakfast service commenced, the restaurant was quiet however on being seated after five minutes had still not been asked if I required tea or coffee, and/or juice. Having then asked and placed my order, I was then approached by another staff member and asked if I wished to order. The food was fine, noting the toast (or more accurately, warm bread) arrived several minutes after the eggs.

The Pool:-
Located in the basement, the pool and spa is beautifully appointed and very tranquil for a central London hotel. The pool length was 18 metres. Again, the staff demonstrated genuine warmth and a high level of service.

Would I return?
Yes. Whilst there were a few minor issues with service, and it is the service which sets apart true premium hotels, I have little doubt these will be rectified given time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with regards to your recent stay at Café Royal. hotel. I am pleased to hear that the hotel was to your liking on the whole. However, I am disappointed to learn that we did not meet all of your expectations, but assure you that we will work to improve these minor issues with service moving forward. I do hope that we will be welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Went to the theatre for our wedding anniversary and despite living in North London thought we'd treat ourselves. We arrived at about 13:30 and the room wasn't ready so we went and had lunch in the Ten Room and they gave us our drinks free (as the room wasn't ready) - two beers, two juices, and two ports - nice touch. Food was very good, lovely surroundings and the service and staff were excellent. After lunch we ventured up to the room - our bag was already up there of course and the room was well appointed. Some may find the style a little too contemporary but I thought it was great. Big bathroom and massive bath. Great choice of snacks and drinks in the minibar. Large B&O television, electric blinds/ screens on the windows, very comfortable bed.

An hour or so later a knock on the door and a free bottle of champagne and chocolate cake was delivered as a way of congratulating us on our anniversary - I hadn't asked for this nor paid for it - just happened to mention at check in it was our anniversary - nice touch, well done!

Went to the show and arrived back later in the bar for a drink - the staff were very friendly and made us a mean couple of drinks with some free nibbles - we would have stayed longer but it was late and we were tired. My wife used the spa the following morning which she said was very good. Breakfast was good - we had it in the room. Check out was seamless - we'd spent more than we thought but there wasn't a single member of staff who didn't do their utmost to make our stay special.

Would recommend - great weekend layover when visiting London (or even if you live in London!!). Great location - on lower end of Regent Street by Picc Circus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the front facing Picc Circus/ Regent St
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback after your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us, particularly on such a special occasion! I am pleased we were able to make it little extra special for you. Our first priority is ensuring that guests always receive the highest level of service. Our team thank you for sharing your very kind comments. We would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We spent 2 nights together with my wife 1st weekend of May in this wonderful, calm and luxury hotel. Staff was great ! Always trying to help you. Portalnd room large, comfortable and well designed with a large bathroom (only a large shower in room 205, I think we were given a room designed for disabled people).Breakfast more than perfect, large choise of dishes and quality. the hotel is located Regent street at a few steps from Picadilly circus, Carnaby street and Soho, what do we need more ?
Special thanks the staff member French speaking, originating from Maghreb who took care of our luggage and organised our taxi tranfer to ST Pancras. We will for sure come back !

Room Tip: If you need a bathtub, better to ask before.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to share your positive feedback after your recent stay at Hotel Cafe Royal. I will certainly pass on your special thanks to our front office and concierge team. I am delighted to read that you will be returning to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.