“Excellent”

Ranked #46 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Brussels
“Excellent”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Arriving from the busy regent street in london into the lobby of hotel cafe royal, it feels entering a different world. Smiling and welcoming faces, quiet and serene atmosphere. I thought, wauw, what a difference comparing to other luxury hotels here in London.
I was welcomed at the check in by a very polite and friendly gentleman. Check-in was very professional, the right questions were asked, the gentleman showed me the restaurant/breakfast room, the bar, the café, explained me a bit of history about the hotel. I REALLY felt as an appreciatd guest and this has been a long time since i had this feeling in a hotel.
I was guided towards my room on the 7th floor. Please check the rooms on internet. They are decorated with a high taste level, surrounded by high-tech equipment, extremely quiet, perfect working airconditioning. Breakfast was delicious, again extremely polite and friendly people.
I have to admit that this stay was with great, no huge pleasure and congratulations to staff, management for spoiling their customers at all times. I will be back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such kind comments on your recent experience staying at Hotel Café Royal. I am delighted to read how welcomed you felt as soon as you stepped inside the hotel and to read how much you appreciated learning some of the history about the hotel when checking in. It is also wonderful to read you liked the décor of your guestroom on the seventh floor as well as the breakfast served in the Ten Room. I have shared your review with everyone here and I look forward to welcoming you on your next stay.

Anthony Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mexico
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Been staying 4 weeks at the Café Royal - for its rooms and spa.

Love the rooms and the fact that they have wooden and marble floors (no carpets!). Great beds, beautiful bathrooms and showers. Nespresso machines in the rooms.
The pool and spa is absolutely amazing and going down for a morning swim is definitely worth getting out of bed a little earlier.

Very nice concierge, emailed him and he went to buy me shoes I didn't have time to go purchase myself. Also a very nice lady who heard my hoarse voice and brought me tea with honey.

Ridiculously expensive fruit salad/in-room dining. Not overly impressed by the breakfast either.

Room Tip: Ask for room 501 There are two room styles, Mansard rooms are all in wood and very nice. Portland a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for choosing Café Royal Hotel as your home away from home and for taking the time to leave such a complimentary review. I am so pleased you have stayed with us for 4 weeks and how much you appreciate the décor of our guestrooms especially the Portland stone and marble floors. I am delighted our concierge team were able to assist you and I have shared your comments with everyone here. Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast, I would very much like to speak with you personally about this and I have sent you my contact details. Please do get in touch.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed with my daughter for the first time and we were totally spoiled. The hotel is wonderful and the staff are excellent, nothing is too much trouble for them.
The butler service is excellent, I have stayed at other hotels where they have this service and only pay lip service to it, but nowhere has it worked so well, every request was dealt with quickly and efficiently.
We had dinner in the Restaurant which was of a very good standard and both breakfasts were very good too. The standard of service is definitely first class.
The location is excellent and made it a very successful shopping trip. Our only disappointment was that we did not have time to visit the Spa, we will definitely do this next time and there will most definitely be a next time.
My husband was abroad on business so he feels peeved that he missed out on this experience but as soon as we have the time I will absolutely return with him.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback on your first stay at Café Royal Hotel. I am very pleased to read your daughter and you both enjoyed the experience and how much you appreciated the service from our team as well as dining in our restaurant. I have shared your comments with everyone here and I look forward to welcoming you back to experience the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre.

Switzerland
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I had been meaning to give the refurbished Cafe Royal a try for a while and a last minute shopping trip provided an ideal opportunity.

The location of the hotel is perfect, just a few steps from Oxford Street, Leicester Square and Soho. I chose a Junior Suite which was stunning. The suite was quite large for London (around 50 sqm) with a superb marble bathroom equipped with a large walk in rainforest shower. The decor was ultra modern, minimalist and very muted in various tones of grey, or paneled in oak and Portland stone to make a real statement. The room is quite high tech and took a couple of minutes to master but includes a Bang & Olufsen entertainment system with connectivity to your iPhone etc and even a TV screen incorporated within the bathroom mirror !!!

The corner location overlooking Piccadilly Circus was excellent and also demonstrated that the soundproofing was also first class. I slept perfectly with no noise from outside even on the second floor.

The Cafe Royal restaurant is very good, but be sure to book and also be careful to request a table a little back from the piano. The entertainment in the early evening was excellent but made conversation over dinner a bit tricky.

For me one of the highlights of the trip was the Akasha spa, the investment here has really been worthwhile. The environment is calm, stylish and just immaculate. The pool is superb and the massage I had was also first class, with an intelligent articulate therapist who was at the top of her game.

All in all, the investment made at Café Royal has really paid dividends. This is now an excellent hotel that has 'raised the bar' and exemplifies what 5 star should be in Central London. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Suite 223 is an excellent choice directly overlooking Piccadilly Circus.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hugh B
I am delighted to read your kind review of your experience staying at Hotel Café Royal. I am pleased to see how much you appreciated the refurbished décor that combines the history with a contemporary design especially the Portland stone and the modern styled guestrooms with our Bang & Olufsen entertainment system. It is also wonderful to read that you were able to enjoy dining in The Café as well as the Ten Room and how much you enjoyed the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre. I have shared your feedback with our therapists and I look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal Hotel soon.

Paris, France
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

The decor is absolutely stunning, the spa is amazing, the restaurant is great, the location is perfect for theatre lovers. It's a perfect five star hotel. But the one thing that personally I found amazing about it was the staff. Our first night there, there was a private party going on and the noise made it pretty much impossible to sleep. The next morning, the manager apologized in person, and asked us how they could make up for us. We got upgraded to a better room immediately and got offered apologies chocolate. Having stayed in hotels like this plenty of times, it was the first time I saw an error being taken so seriously. Perfect hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julia M
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the experience of staying at Café Royal Hotel and that you had the opportunity to try many of our facilities including the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre. I am pleased to read that we were able to help with regards to your comments and that you appreciated the room upgrade. I look forward to your next stay.
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Everything was perfect! I can not complain on anything! Food, rooms, service all was top. And location is just perfect very central just next to Leicester square. The gym is good as well ,nice classes and swimming pool really amazing! Also massage was fantastic! The best hotel in London! For sure I will come back :)

• Stayed April 2014
Many thanks for your kind review of your experience staying with us at Café Royal Hotel. I am very pleased that you were able to enjoy all that we have on offer including the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre and how much you appreciated your massage as well our exercise classes. I am delighted to hear you regard Café Royal Hotel as the best in London and I very much look forward to your next visit.

Vail, Colorado
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We decided to leave Mayfair and try a different location. What fun to be in Piccadilly and to be at such a great hotel. Ultra modern in the rooms and one restaurant and bar while old style tradition in the rest of the hotel -- including the special green bar/dining room that was brought back to its original glory. First, the staff is exceptional. Edward, manager of the Front Office, guided us around the hotel upon our arrival and then showed us to a magnificent suite to which we had been upgraded. Because this was a special trip for our granddaughter, this immediately set the tone for a unique experience. The rest of the staff was superb in every way including knowing our name and preferences within hours of our arrival. I cannot say enough about the rooms: spacious, modern but welcoming, great bathrooms and showers with all the amenities, wonderful TVs, closets, etc. Fabulous arrangement of hidden electrical outlets and lots of them. There was absolutely no noise from the street although we looked right out on Piccadilly Circus. Close to everything including a Whole Foods just behind the hotel. Regent Street Shopping, restaurants, theatre, and a short walk down to Westminster. An absolute must to have a proper English Tea in the special bar/dining room. Also the exceptionally large spa is over the top with a yoga room, meditation room, and a huge pool with resting lounge chairs plus lots of great (expensive) treatments. My only difficulty was with the staff in the breakfast and lunch dining room. The food was excellent, but it took forever for the food to come out at almost every meal and the staff was not looking around to see if we needed anything. I had to get up more than once to talk to someone about getting our food even when it was a very simple and minor order. One time we even had to ask for cutlery and a napkin after the tea arrived. By now I am sure the young staff has been better trained. Check with the hotel itself for bookings. Their rate was cheaper that on-line services and had more options such as including breakfast and other things. I think this will be our new "home away from home" for each visit to London!

Room Tip: If possible consider trying one of the suites especial something like the Marquis Suite. No need to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pamelavail
Many thanks for sharing your comments on your experience staying at Café Royal Hotel. I am very pleased to read your compliments on your visit and how much your granddaughter and you enjoyed your time spent with us. I am delighted you all liked all aspects of the hotel including the service from Front Office Manager, Edward, the style and décor of our guestrooms as well as our location in the heart of London. I am also pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy the facilities in the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre during your trip. All your comments have been shared with the team and I look forward to welcoming you all on your next visit.