“Great venue for our 40th company anniversary gala dinner!”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #48 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Great venue for our 40th company anniversary gala dinner!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The pompadour suite is simply stunning, the terrace on a warm June evening is a delight. The service and the food were simply first class, so was the price we paid, but we all enjoyed a great evening.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the anniversary gala in the Pompadour Suite and how highly you valued the service as well as the cuisine. I have shared your kind comments with the team here and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you here again on your next visit to Hotel Café Royal.

Anthony Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Beautiful rooms in a heritage setting, with incredible service. You step out from the quiet refined environs of this elegant, 5 star hotel right onto bustling Picaddily Circus. The building itself is stunning, and the incredibly spacious rooms (I stayed in 409) are chic and modern in contrast to the extremely gilded and elaborate ceilings and building interiors (visit the Pompadour Room for full dazzling effect) - think Hall of Mirrors at Versailles.

The only disappointment was the hotel bar (The Grill Room), which seated us, telling us that only half the venue was booked for a private event, then 10 minutes later told us we would need to vacate the premises as the entire venue was booked for the private event - after we had already ordered our drinks. Only improvement this hotel can work on then is the service in the bar - otherwise, I would definitely recommend this hotel - great place to stay for work or leisure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jetsetter741
Many thanks for taking the time out to leave your comments on your recent experience at Hotel Café Royal. I am pleased you admired the contrast of heritage and contemporary style and that you had the opportunity to visit the Pompadour Suite during your visit, we are lucky to have such a beautiful room that has been restored to feature original and ornate detailing. I am sorry to read your comments on the Oscar Wilde Bar and I would very much like to speak with you about this further. I have sent you contact details in a private message if you can kindly contact me directly.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were told by friends that Cafe Royal was a superb hotel and we have not been disappointed. The rooms are spectacular, large and beautifully decorated. The service is also 5-star and the location cannot be beat. My daughter chuckled when she heard that we have a butler! I cannot think of anything that I would improve. If you don't mind shelling out the big bucks, this hotel will not disappoint. Prepare yourself for an experience that you will not soon forget.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your experience staying at Hotel Café Royal. I am pleased to read how unforgettable you found the whole visit and how much you enjoyed the décor of our guestrooms as well as the location in the heart of London. I have shared your review with everyone here and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Brussels
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Arriving from the busy regent street in london into the lobby of hotel cafe royal, it feels entering a different world. Smiling and welcoming faces, quiet and serene atmosphere. I thought, wauw, what a difference comparing to other luxury hotels here in London.
I was welcomed at the check in by a very polite and friendly gentleman. Check-in was very professional, the right questions were asked, the gentleman showed me the restaurant/breakfast room, the bar, the café, explained me a bit of history about the hotel. I REALLY felt as an appreciatd guest and this has been a long time since i had this feeling in a hotel.
I was guided towards my room on the 7th floor. Please check the rooms on internet. They are decorated with a high taste level, surrounded by high-tech equipment, extremely quiet, perfect working airconditioning. Breakfast was delicious, again extremely polite and friendly people.
I have to admit that this stay was with great, no huge pleasure and congratulations to staff, management for spoiling their customers at all times. I will be back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such kind comments on your recent experience staying at Hotel Café Royal. I am delighted to read how welcomed you felt as soon as you stepped inside the hotel and to read how much you appreciated learning some of the history about the hotel when checking in. It is also wonderful to read you liked the décor of your guestroom on the seventh floor as well as the breakfast served in the Ten Room. I have shared your review with everyone here and I look forward to welcoming you on your next stay.

Mexico
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Been staying 4 weeks at the Café Royal - for its rooms and spa.

Love the rooms and the fact that they have wooden and marble floors (no carpets!). Great beds, beautiful bathrooms and showers. Nespresso machines in the rooms.
The pool and spa is absolutely amazing and going down for a morning swim is definitely worth getting out of bed a little earlier.

Very nice concierge, emailed him and he went to buy me shoes I didn't have time to go purchase myself. Also a very nice lady who heard my hoarse voice and brought me tea with honey.

Ridiculously expensive fruit salad/in-room dining. Not overly impressed by the breakfast either.

Room Tip: Ask for room 501 There are two room styles, Mansard rooms are all in wood and very nice. Portland a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for choosing Café Royal Hotel as your home away from home and for taking the time to leave such a complimentary review. I am so pleased you have stayed with us for 4 weeks and how much you appreciate the décor of our guestrooms especially the Portland stone and marble floors. I am delighted our concierge team were able to assist you and I have shared your comments with everyone here. Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast, I would very much like to speak with you personally about this and I have sent you my contact details. Please do get in touch.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed with my daughter for the first time and we were totally spoiled. The hotel is wonderful and the staff are excellent, nothing is too much trouble for them.
The butler service is excellent, I have stayed at other hotels where they have this service and only pay lip service to it, but nowhere has it worked so well, every request was dealt with quickly and efficiently.
We had dinner in the Restaurant which was of a very good standard and both breakfasts were very good too. The standard of service is definitely first class.
The location is excellent and made it a very successful shopping trip. Our only disappointment was that we did not have time to visit the Spa, we will definitely do this next time and there will most definitely be a next time.
My husband was abroad on business so he feels peeved that he missed out on this experience but as soon as we have the time I will absolutely return with him.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback on your first stay at Café Royal Hotel. I am very pleased to read your daughter and you both enjoyed the experience and how much you appreciated the service from our team as well as dining in our restaurant. I have shared your comments with everyone here and I look forward to welcoming you back to experience the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre.

Switzerland
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I had been meaning to give the refurbished Cafe Royal a try for a while and a last minute shopping trip provided an ideal opportunity.

The location of the hotel is perfect, just a few steps from Oxford Street, Leicester Square and Soho. I chose a Junior Suite which was stunning. The suite was quite large for London (around 50 sqm) with a superb marble bathroom equipped with a large walk in rainforest shower. The decor was ultra modern, minimalist and very muted in various tones of grey, or paneled in oak and Portland stone to make a real statement. The room is quite high tech and took a couple of minutes to master but includes a Bang & Olufsen entertainment system with connectivity to your iPhone etc and even a TV screen incorporated within the bathroom mirror !!!

The corner location overlooking Piccadilly Circus was excellent and also demonstrated that the soundproofing was also first class. I slept perfectly with no noise from outside even on the second floor.

The Cafe Royal restaurant is very good, but be sure to book and also be careful to request a table a little back from the piano. The entertainment in the early evening was excellent but made conversation over dinner a bit tricky.

For me one of the highlights of the trip was the Akasha spa, the investment here has really been worthwhile. The environment is calm, stylish and just immaculate. The pool is superb and the massage I had was also first class, with an intelligent articulate therapist who was at the top of her game.

All in all, the investment made at Café Royal has really paid dividends. This is now an excellent hotel that has 'raised the bar' and exemplifies what 5 star should be in Central London. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Suite 223 is an excellent choice directly overlooking Piccadilly Circus.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hugh B
I am delighted to read your kind review of your experience staying at Hotel Café Royal. I am pleased to see how much you appreciated the refurbished décor that combines the history with a contemporary design especially the Portland stone and the modern styled guestrooms with our Bang & Olufsen entertainment system. It is also wonderful to read that you were able to enjoy dining in The Café as well as the Ten Room and how much you enjoyed the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre. I have shared your feedback with our therapists and I look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal Hotel soon.