“Magical”

Somerset House Ice Rink
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I have always wanted to go to Somerset House Ice Rink, definitely one for the bucket list. It was a lot of fun, beautifully presented and a magical evening. My friend and I went for the 8pm slot and it was delightful! I think I'll be making it an annual occurrence

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My girlfriend is very good at skating, myself being a complete novice it was tough given how congested the rink was

1  Thank Daniel K
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and my son ventured onto the ice while I stayed in the cafe with the youngest child. The queue was very long and the security lacked manners. However both my husband and son changed boots successfully half way through the hour as the first ones were ill fitting (with little issue).

There were too many people crammed into the changing areas as indeed there were too many people on the ice.

For beginners it was fine though. They both enjoyed.

The cafe areas was nice enough. Drinks not too expensive for London.

Toilets not great. Steep steps and a little smelly.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

My daughter and I have paid an annual visit to the Somerset House ice rink for about six years now and we always have an enjoyable time. Although there are other open air ice rinks in London we think this one is the most attractive by far, especially after dark when you can see the Christmas lights. In general, the skating sessions are just for fun and the majority of the skaters are basically inexperienced, quite a few were complete novices. There is a small separate section for little children where they can learn to skate with the aid of push-along penguins. Overlooking the rink is a café where spectators can watch and keep warm at the same time. If you have bags you can leave them in a manned cloakroom but this costs £1 per bag. There are plenty of free, clean, toilets just behind the rink (downstairs at Somerset house).
Overall, a good well organised event, we hope to return next year.

1  Thank flutefairy
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Amazing atmosphere and a beautiful location. This is the second time I've been to Somerset House for Christmas skating, and both times it's been great. My skating, on the other hand, isn't quite so good.

Last year we went to the Natural History Museum instead and it was chaos by comparison, with far too many people on the ice at once. Both times at Somerset House there has been space for amateurs like myself to struggle by while allowing room for the more experienced skaters to get past without colliding.

The skates are pretty basic, so don't expect a lot of comfort or professional quality, but if that's something you're actually worried about you should have your own pair. Also, the shoe deposit and changing space isn't very well organised, but it's a small part of the overall experience. I would recommend sizing down as well - I wear size 11 shoes but even the size 10 skates felt like they were a little too big and I need all the support I can get!