“Yet another steak house”
Review of HIX City - CLOSED

HIX City
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City of London
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Seems the modern trend of late in London is to open up a reputbale steak house proporting to serve quality food. With Gaucho, Hawksmoors, Goodmans, STK all good examples. Hixter tries hard but nothing really distingushes it from the others. Bog standard steak cuts, done in various sizes, with tpyical entree's and typical alternative choices of chicken etc make this place no different than any other. Even the over fried thin cut fries looked the same. Not a great wine list to distinguish itself, nor service that you would rank as been effecient you could easily get the feeling that the owners figured they would just have to open a steak restaurant of any quality and the punters would rock up. Rock up we did. Doubtful we would again.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

The restaurant is a steak house type concept so I was expecting mouth watering steak. I ordered the rib - it was fine but no where near as good as Gaucho or Barbecoa. Some of the fries were served in a single bowl and for others in a bowl for two to share - which given this is mainly full of city workers rather than couples is not a great idea - would prefer my own fries thank you.

Water jug is a pottery chicken. Wine list is poor - too many young wines probably aimed at looking like good value for money. Service average and waitress clearly didn't enjoy presenting the crowded tray of raw steak choices.

All in all there are so many better choices in the city. This really needs to up its game.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Went to Hxter for a business lunch. Food was great, very tasty and cooked to perfection. We only had a few small starters to share as we didn't want to eat too much before our main meal. We shared a whole chicken (which still had it's feet on!) and a very large steak between the four of us and had chips and onion rings too. Staff offered to carve the chicken and steak for us. Staff were friendly and prices reasonable. I very much hope to be taken back there and will be recommending it to friends and colleagues.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The menu here is Steak or Chicken - but it works really well. I have been twice and had steak both times and both times not been disappointed. The decor is modern but not overpowering the tables are decently spaced so you feel its private enough to chat about whatever you want. The service was not outstanding but as expected for the price/quality of the place. The real attraction is the meat - the steak I had was flavoursome and well cooked. It's in the city so very much caters to the business crowd - I didn't try the downstairs bar but it looked like a good afterwork venue - I'll be back.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is a new restaurant that's not needed a settling in period; it hit the ground running. The food's great; unusual and interesting combinations too. But it's the service that makes it a really good experience.
From having a drink in the bar downstairs, where James and the friendly staff all know the interesting cocktail menu very well, and they treat you like an old friend, or run it like a 5 star hotel bar, to the nicely spaced tables upstairs waited on by people who all know the menu like it's their own - it's a pleasure to return.
For example, the chateaubriand is delicious and easily enough for three people. And the chicken and lobster pie (yes, really) is delicious.
I look forward to returning again and again. I expect it'll maintain its Hix quality. And by the way, it was really good for me with my peanut allergy - the staff know the provenance of all the food (and the drinks).

1  Thank AKZ-and-I