“Beware of Extra Charges”

Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo
Ranked #153 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Ive stayed in this hotel so many times the staff are recognising me and welcoming me back. That is nice. But on check-out this time, I wanted to leave my bags with them for a few hours, and was told there will be a £1 charge - because they have hired a new porter. This scheme started last week. Consequently, the hotel lobby is now cluttered with people waiting with all their kit and kaboodle. So, plan your day and itinerary carefully - I no longer consider this a "full" service hotel. I stayed in a the low-cost Travelodge just a couple of days ago - they asked for a voluntary charity donation for storing your bags. I can deal with that, and I like that.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NNei
Write a ReviewReviews (2,989)

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I started off really liking this hotel, but at the end of the week not so much. The hotel was good till the last night. I was next in line to order at the bar/ food register and the worker clearly seen that. After he was finished with his current customer, he skipped me and went to the next person. This went on for a good 30 minutes. At one point he even came up to me and said I'll be right with you but yet still continued to serve other customers who just walked up. I finally decide to go to the person at the front desk and order with him. I am not sure why the employee was skipping me, I think it had to do with my younger age. I didn't really like that I was being discriminated because of my age. All in all, the last night changed my positive feelings to negative about this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank stuart m
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here for two night's for my wife's birthday,the reception we received when we entered with smiling face's made us feel at home,the bedroom and shower were first class. I don't know how old the Hotel is but inside it looked brand new,the breakfast was very good full English if you want which I had.The bar was good with prices for London reasonable,we ate in the Goan restaurant which is within the Hotel but I was told is a separate enterprise it was good value,food was very good so we really enjoyed our stay.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I spent six nights at the Hampton in Waterloo in July, 2014. We were very pleased with the hotel and found the value for the price excellent. The room and hotel were newly renovated, extremely clean, and very comfortable. The free Wi-Fi was very dependable and the breakfast was excellent. It included a good variety of both hot and cold items. Because of the cost of food in London, this saved a good bit of money. The staff was friendly and attentive and the hotel was not only close to the metro (which was extremely easy to use) and train stations, but also within a reasonable walking distance to many of the attractions including the London Eye, Shakespere's Globe Theatre, Big Ben, and Tower Bridge. There were also several city buses that picked up and dropped off right outside the hotel. The only downfall I would say is that the area it is in is still "up and coming". In the mornings it was mostly business people going to work. However, in the late afternoons and evenings there were a couple of homeless who seemed to live in the area that were a little pushy. Once we learned who these guys were we were able to look for them and avoid interactions. They didn't actually seem dangerous, but it was a little disturbing if you weren't prepared to deal with them.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here for one night when attending a concert at The Royal Festival Hall. Superbly clean hotel with excellent customer service. The staff are polite, helpful and extremely friendly. Rooms are average sized and bathroom an adequate size with an excellent shower. The beds are comfortable and we were amazed by how quiet it was for it's location.

Large clothes closet with ironing board and iron but drawers are in short supply but this is not uncommon these days.

If I had a criticism, it is in that the varied and plentiful hot breakfast was not very hot. The dining room was very busy also at 8.30 on a Sunday morning but I have experienced this is major city hotels before and was what I expected. The staff worked hard to clear the tables quickly as they were vacated..

Would I stay there again, most certainly. As far as I am concerned it's the only place to stay in the capital.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Because of my travel arrangement change, I have stayed in 3 different hotels in London during this recent trip from budget hotel to more luxury hotel, which included the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge and Inter-continental Westminster. And expensive hotel doesn’t always means good hotel (pls see my other reviews for reference). The Hampton was the best hotel I have stayed in London on this trip!!

Due to the last minute booking I could only find the Hampton hotel on website so I decided to give it a try, I got it for ard USD200 a night which I think is a very good deal for London city. I booked this hotel 2 days before arrival and had sent an email to request for higher floor with nice view and early check-in.

When I arrived the hotel at 9am, I got a very nice room right away on high floor and a view of the London Eye, that was beautiful. The room itself was spacious, spotless and everything was working perfectly. Because of the newly renovation, everything was fresh, modern and new, free wifi was strong and fast throughout the entire hotel. The TV channels were good with lots of free movie channels. Staff was nice, helpful and friendly, checkin and checkout were fast and easy. The hotel’s free breakfast was good, not too much choices but good enough to start a morning with some tasty hot food, and save you at least $15 for a breakfast like this London.

The location of this hotel is great, just 1 block from Waterloo Station (one of the major station with different mean of transportations) and major bus lines stop in front of the hotel. Some small supermarkets nearby and several good restaurants just around the corner or at the main Waterloo Station. This hotel is a hidden gem and I will definitely stay here again when I go back to London.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the London Eye and on higher floor possible, it's beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank cckc123
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel is well situated for transport links, just along the road from the Old Vic Theatre and being only about a five minute walk from Waterloo rail & tube station and maybe 10 minutes from Southwark tube station. I mention Southwark as it is the nearest tube with disabled access, which is important to me, being an amputee and using a wheelchair. The area seems quite safe and we noticed that women didn't seem to worry about walking alone in the area during the later evening, although the hotel does advise that guests be careful when returning after dark - but it is a part of a big city, so that probably is not unusual. I would say that the hotel caters well for all types of customer from business use, families, singles and couples.
We spent five nights at the Hampton by Hilton after reading about the complete renovation of the hotel. It's been done very nicely too. The rooms are very clean and the fittings are of a good standard, with a decent TV, fast free wifi, comfy beds and sensible lighting. Posh, by my standards really. The shower room had modern facilities with a bath-size shower enclosure with wrap around glass screen and nicely styled toilet and sink - again all very clean and tidy, with ample shampoo, soaps and moisturisers.
The room itself was a fair size, though the 3 of us filled it and it could be booked to 4 people, which would make things a little tight I think. However, something has been forgotten in this major renovation...
We had booked a family room with disabled accessability, which meant I expected to be able to use all the facilities of the room and bathroom whilst being in my wheelchair, but on checking in, the receptionist dropped a problem on us. The hotel doesn't have family rooms with disabled access! They have family rooms OR disabled accessible rooms but not both together.
Now to me that seems like something that the hotel should pre-warn you about BEFORE you land on the welcome mat. After all, they had to take my contact details when I booked and actually sent an email "reminder" of my booking a few days before we arrived! But there we were, with two options - 1. Split our party (myself and my wife who would have to help me in the room) into a disabled room and a seperate room somewhere for our teenaged son, or 2. Take a family room where I couldn't use the wheelchair through lack of space. We took the family room on the 3rd floor and I had to crawl round the room for 5 nights, which is not ideal.
The breakfast, which is included in the price, is exceptionally well presented and caters for all tastes. Choices ranged from fresh fruit, yoghurt, cerials, breads, bagels and full English. It was an all-you-care-to-eat buffet style and the staff were quick to clean tables and make sure everyone was happy. The dining area is large, bright and airy. It has various seating styles including small booths, relaxed comfy chairs at coffee tables as well as the standard tables and chairs, so it suits all group sizes and tastes.
So, all-in-all, the hotel is a lovely place to stay, with great staff too. But why no family rooms with disabled access, given that the revamp was undertaken shortly after London had hosted such a well publicised and well run Paralymic Games?

Room Tip: Don't ask for a family room with disabled access.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family