“Second stay, still good value”

Holiday Inn London - Elstree
Ranked #615 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Hong Kong, China
“Second stay, still good value”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Being a Gold Priority member I was upgraded to an Executive room, which was definitely larger than the standard one I stayed in last time, so that was nice.

The only downside was an occassional moldy smell in the bathroom after a shower but I didn't alert housekeeping so can't complain too much on that score.

The breakfast spread was excellent, good value for only £13.95. There was a selection of hot items - sausages, baked beans, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon (too fatty for me, I'm afraid), tomatoes and I think mushrooms - and cold items including fruit, yoghurt and cereals. So you can eat healthy or not, your choice...or do as I did and eat both!

I had lunch and two dinners during my stay and the chips and chips on peas was good; the burger was OK, well cooked but I was unfamiliar with the cheese and did not like the smell. The large chardonney was excellent value, two of them and you'd have trouble driving straight :-)

The staff were excellent, nothing was a bother and they all seemed happy in their jobs. There was no issue allowing me a late check out and even with an event one night that saw a great many businessmen in the lounge, I was not overlooked standing waiting for a seat for dinner. I was told the post office is "a ten minute walk" away and I'm no slouch but anyone who can walk up to the shops in Shenley Road that quickly will win Gold at the London Olympics. It was more like 30 minutes, so a good walk and it warmed me up, no doubt about that but that was the only dud advice from the staff.

Speaking of warmth, this was a winter trip and my room maintained a pleasant temperature my whole stay and at no point was I cold. The lounge near reception was colder, but that's a much bigger space and obviously has doors leading outside, and it was not chilly, just obviously less warm than the room.

Parking is free and the car park is huge so there was never a problem getting a spot, and most times it was near the front door.

In terms of location, it really depends on where you need to be. I was zipping around the M25 so it was very convenient for that, but if you need to be in London city itself you're quite a ways out, even with the tube reasonably close.

In summary, this is a stress free hotel - no trouble parking, no aggro from the staff, a good location if that's the area you need to be in and servicable rooms that are comfortable to be in.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on Trip Adviosr. I am glad that you enjoyed staying with us and we appreciate your loyalty as a Gold Member of our Priority Club Rewards Scheme.

I will certainly pass all of your feedback onto the relevant team members and managers, everyone does enjoy reading what our guests think of our hotel and knowing that all thier hard work is being noticed.

I hope that we can continue to welcome you back to the hotel in the future when you are visiting the area.

Kevin Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Stay here when I go into London. Easy drive to Barnet or Cockfosters tube stations which are at end of line so always easy to get on. Hotel offers gym with pool, great bar and restaurant and good rooms. Staff are attentive and polite and as a platinum member I have always been upgraded even when I have used reward nights. Ok so it's no where near the city but saves congestion charge and London parking charges.

• Stayed February 2012
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Tripadvisor Website.

I will certainly ensure that the hotel team are made aware of your positive comments as it is encouraging for them to know that the hard work they put into ensuring our guests have an enjoyable and relaxing stay is noticed.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued loyalty as a member of our Priority Club Rewards programme and for choosing to stay at this hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

England
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I have stayed here numerous times and each time the hotel has been consistent in giving good value for money, a nice breakfast, free parking and comfortable rooms.

Yes - some of the rooms may feel a bit dated but they are kept clean and to a good standard. Executive rooms are of a good size and a welcome snack/drink is a nice touch.

Will certainly stay again as they never disappoint.

Didn't eat an evening meal in the hotel - instead got a taxi into Borehamwood (£7ish)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving us your constructive feedback on Tripadvisor.

We always welcome reviews from our guests and will use the information they provide us with to work towards continually improving the service we offer to all. We aim to give Good Value and provide a Good Breakfast and I am glad that you feel that we are meeting our promises in this respect.

I am aware that parts of our accommodation are in need of updating but we have a programme of works ongoing. In the meantime we work hard to ensure that cleanliness and day-to-day maintenance are of a high standard, normally with positive results.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit the area.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Perfectly adequate budget hotel, very clean but the rooms and coomon areas are in need of updating. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us and for leaving your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I have noted all of your feedback and will ensure that the hotel team are made aware of your positive comments about the service they provided. They work very hard to ensure all of our guests have an enjoyable stay and it is encouraging when they are told that they are getting it right. Cleanliness is also obviously our highest priority and our Head Housekeeper will be pleased by your comment on this.

I am aware that some of our rooms need updating and we do have a programme of works ongoing. In the meantime we are always trying to ensure that our rooms are comfortable, clean and in a good state of repair, normally with positive results.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visting the area.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

typical large chain hotel, they try to squeeze as much money as they can from you at the same time as giving you as least possible value for money.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the main road............too noisy
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest

I have noted your feedback and firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I do feel that our rates reprsent good value for a AA rated 4 star hotel, particularly at the weekend when our rates are only slightly higher than the budget brand properties closeby. Our property is a full service hotel with all the facilities that you would expect and we always aim for every guest to have an enjoyable stay whilst balancing this with providing good value for money particularly in today's economy.

I hope that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

If there is any way we can be of further assistance to you please do not hesitate to let us know.

General Manager.
Warrington
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice and had problems both times.

On the first occasion, the shower wasn't working, The room hadn't been properly cleaned - there were bottle tops and food under the desk and my partner stood on a shard of glass and cut his foot. We complained and were moved to a different room.

On the second occasion we landed at Manchester airport then had a 3 hour drive to London, arriving at the hotel after midnight. The following happened;
1 - We had booked a 2 night stay (Friday & Saturday). The first night clashed with our skiing holiday so, several weeks prior to our stay, I telephoned and asked to change the booking to Saturday & Sunday instead. The hotel was adamant that this was not possible as I had an "advance deal". When I telephoned "central reservations" to let them know that we would be arriving late on the Saturday, I was told that the dates could have been amended after all.
2 - The room stank of stale cigarette smoke. We couldn't be moved as we were told that the hotel was full so they sprayed the room with air freshener instead.
3 - The thermostat control on the shower was faulty so it was impossible to get a decent shower. The toilet seat was broken.
4 - The room had not been properly cleaned and signs of previous occupants were evident, especially in the bathroom.

We finally got to bed at 2am and woke exhausted the following morning in poor shape to compete in a national badminton tournament.

On speaking to other residents, many had complaints about the hotel including stale cigarette smoke in the room. 2 men, who had booked a twin room, were given a double room instead. Finally one of them spent the night on an uncomfortable z bed meant for a child! Badminton England, who had hosted an event on the Saturday evening, had had so many complaints that they distributed a questionnaire the following day for feedback on the hotel.

We won't be staying here again!

Room Tip: choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Dear Guest

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay at this hotel. We aim to give every guest a relaxing and enjoyable experience whilst they are away from home and I sincerely apologise that we failed to acheive this during your time with us.

Please be assured that I have noted all the points listed in your review and will take the necessary steps to ensure that they are rectified. We would like further information regarding some of the issues you have identified, if you have the opportunity will you call our Operations Manager - Shae Walmsley at the hotel so he may communicate with you and discuss your feedback directly.

Also, the hotel has a Guest Relations Manager on duty 24 hours a day, a big part of their role is to listen to feedback and attempt to find a resolution before it affects the enjoyment of a guest's stay. If you stay with us in the future this individual will be on hand to discuss and do everything in thier power to resolve any issues you identify with our product or service before you depart the hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the trip advisor website. We do use this feedback as a way of improving the service we offer to all of our guests.

We look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My family and I booked at this Holiday Inn for two nights. We booked because they have interconnecting doors between rooms and we could therefore have the children in one room and me and my husband in the other. This was a massive bonus (other hotels PLEASE take note that families really need this facility).
The rooms were clean and comfortable.The hotel pillows featured a promise to change pilliows from standard foam (which I hate) to a choice of feather and down pillows - Great! What a shame then that when this was requested, the spare pillows were "all in use" Come on people, you're running a hotel! Pillows are part of the deal, and if you offer a facility you should plan to be able to honour it.
The bathrooms were clean and there were plenty of towels.
Room service was ruiniously expensive which I could have tolerated were it not for the fact that the Club sandwiches were dreadful. Bitter rocket instead of a crisp clean lettuce, hardboiled egg (?) - the comination of egg and rocket made the sandwich taste fishy - and dry - no mayonnaise or other ingrediant to make it palatable.
Breakfast on the first morning was freshly cooked for us as we were thre first in the restaurant and the poached egg was perfect. The staff were very friendly and helpful. However, the pastries were rather stale and the berries to put on top of cereal etc were obviously defrosted, were very cold and very tart indeed. A compote needs to be cooked down fruit with some sugar added.
The next morning the food was all out in a buffet - the bacon and sausage were good, but the black pudding inedible. The coffee / chocolate machine (Yes machine, NOT fresh) needed refilling and it was quite a wait before i got my hot drink. Staff toady were rather curt when asked several times for assistance. Pastries were stale again.
Advice: A filter coffe maker, with staff to go round tables replenishing drinks would be great.
Better provenance of food items.
Hotel has a great little swimming pool which the children enjoyed, and check out was very speedy and helpful. The staff on the desk were very polite.
SO - a pleasant stay but in no way outstanding.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for posting this comprehensive review of our hotel onto Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

I have noted your constructive comments, both the positive ones and the not so positive and will certainly communicate this to the relevant managers and add this to our usual practice of using such information to improve the service we offer to all of our guests.

I agree that breakfast is the one of the most important elements of your stay and will review the points you have raised regarding the food and the service with both the Head Chef and the F&B Manager. Our coffee machine grinds whole beans as it produces each serving with the aim of eliminating the filter coffee issue where a flask left for more than a few minutes can taste stale. However, there is no excuse for you having to wait longer than necessary for the machine to be topped up and I apologise for this.

Please also accept my apologies for the lack of your choice of feather pillows. Our Housekeeper will review our stocks and purchase more as required so we should not encounter this issue in the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting the area. If there is anything else you would like to discuss please contact me directly or my Operations Manager at the hotel.

Kevin Fraser
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Premier Inn London Sidcup
#266 of 1,063 in London
Best Western Palm Hotel
#523 of 1,063 in London
Clapham / Battersea
Pelican London Hotel and Residence
Ramada London Finchley
#646 of 1,063 in London

Been to Holiday Inn London - Elstree? Share your experiences!