“Not too bad, but really not great; and service needs improvement”

Holiday Inn London - Elstree
Ranked #615 of 1,063 Hotels in London
UK
“Not too bad, but really not great; and service needs improvement”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

There can be no doubt that this entire building needs a refurb, so while actually quite far from being enough to put people off, the service offering needs to step up to ensure that guests overlook the dated feel and return. After all, regular customers are the best customers.

Sadly, despite some effort from the staff, the service I experienced was not great.

Whether it was the failure of the staff to recognise a Platinum priority card holder or have my room key available, the lack of vouchers offering either a drink or points (and an inability of the staff to organise an alternative other than vaguely promising to "try contacting the bar"), the failure of the wireless internet to work in the room, the lack of offer of a newspaper for the morning - subsequently promised when prompted - but then not delivered the following day, the mediocre on-site restaurant, or my arrival at breakfast to find the trays of food almost empty or burnt under the hot lamps... All in all they add up to either a failure of management or a failure to care enough to fix what they can.

All of which was a shame because the room and bathroom was a good size and clean, the bed was comfortable and there were welcome (complimentary) drinks and chocolates in my room; and some of the staff - I'm thinking of Luz, on check-out reception, were excellent.

So my recommendation to others would not be to avoid here, but not actively seek it out; and for the owners to recognise that they and their staff will need to go the extra mile to keep this large hotel busy enough to be viable while saving for the inevitable refurb. Because Holiday Inns are stepping up the mark and it won't be too long before this one is too far behind to catch up.

Room Tip: Suites on ground floor in other wing are certainly quiet. Didn't hear a peep.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comprehensive review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website following your recent stay.

I have noted all of the points you have raised and am in the process of investigating the areas where we do not seem to have made a good impression upon you. Once I have more information I will amend my response to you.

Thank you for the positive points you have mentioned. I will ensure that Luz is made aware of your compliment about her excellent service.

In the meantime should you wish to discuss your review with me prsonally I can be contacted via the hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I have written any sort of review and this is my first. I just felt like I had to let it out!!
It was an ok place to stay at. A little outdated but nevermind. What really ruined it all for me was that firstly I had to buy WIFI internet costing me £15 POUNDS for 24hrs (which is shocking seeing how cheap internet elsewhere is) !! and secondly the guy at the reception did not even bother giving me a VOucher to log onto the internet.

I went back to reception out by that time the guy who initially served me was off and so I couldn't as for info. By the time I had actually met this guy after he started his shift, it was almost 24hrs and I did not want the internet anymore so I asked for my refind since I never used the internet and had already paid for it!!

However this guy turns around and accuses me of making a story up for £15 pounds saying " I don't get why would you pay £15 and not take the Voucher". How about I did not get given one and thought maybe they have some sort of new interactive way of activating internet or something. CLEARLY NOT.. AFTER arguing for 10 mins I finally got the surpervisor in charge to get my refund!...
Then when checking out when returning my card some other guy at the reception goes " It looks like you statyed an extra night with us". I was thinking WHAT?? and literally 5 seconds later goes oh no its ok!!... HOW CAN YOU MISREAD/Calculate that one???

RANT OVER!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest
I have noted your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree following your recent stay.

I sincerely apologise that you had an issue with confusion over the voucher your purchased for our WiFi. I will look into this and ensure the Team Member in question is investigated and any appropriate actions taken to ensure that we deal with any guest concerns more appropriately in future.

Reagrding the fee for the Internet, currently, our supplier makes a charge for this, hence why it is still chargeable. However, should you be a member of our IHG Rewards club as of 1st July 2014 use of our WiFi will be free of charge to all members.

If you would like to discuss your review in more detail I can be contacted via the Hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to make a better impression upon you and would consider staying with us again when you are next visiting the area.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Well this one nearlly slipped my net. Stayed here last year for a few nights so really got to know the place inside out.
Checkin! Staff looked like they cant be bothered, no help, no introduction.
Room? Well its seen better days but ok i suppose.
Restaurant? Not bad food, staff quite good.
Pool/sauna? Falling apart needs renovation in sauna and steam room tiles coming off, floors slimmy, get it cleaned up man. staff hardly there playing music or texting on phones from the shift i saw, never saw them once check the saunas.
Pub? Nice staff not bad prices.
Would i stay again, not unless it got revamped. I did expect better even though its cheap.
One thing that really got my back up was the reception guys attitude when i ask for wifi code, he said i had to pay for it!!!!!!! PAY FOR WIFI i argued and eventually after 10 minutes of nearlly shouting I got a 24 hour code. I run my own business so need to keep in touch, i went to the devere village hotel, its free there, and guess what, i stop there from now on, SO LITTLE things to matter to us little people. Your management/bosses need to open there eyes and read these comments properly without giving automated replies.

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Andy G,

We'd like to thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay. We regret to see the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do take all of the reviews and comments we receive from our guests very seriously as they help us to identify areas where improvement may be needed. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The first night I was in a room very close to the A1 and was frequently disturbed by the constant traffic rumble.
On the second night there was a wedding taking place and my room was very close to the function suite. The bass throb of the music nearly shook my fillings out. After several hours tryin to sleep, I eventually phoned reception to ask what time the disco was due to finish. The guy at reception told me it had already finished and got quite snotty when I disagreed with him! He said he qould investigate and call me back. He never did. 30 minutes later I rang back to ask when the noise wpould stop, and I was told that it would only be 10 minutes more. I complained that the hotel was showing no consideration for other guests, and was told that a note would be left on my booking - needless to say it wasn't.
The music eventually stopped at 01:45am, though the noisy guests probably took another 30 minutes to clear out.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the A! and the function suite
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Chris Q
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Chris Q,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is truly unfortunate to see the noise that had prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Manchester
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here many many times over the years and was disappointed. One of our rooms had writing on the wall by the bed. No toilet roll holders. Telephone not working to call reception. Bed springs gone so my husband woke up with a bad back, reception put a board in the ned which helped for our remainder nights. Swimming pool changing rooms dirty, handle bars into pool all rusty. When checking out noticed they had charged us for breakfast when was told on checkin not inc. we were overall very disappointed whereas in the past we have been so happy.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mandy C
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Guest

I have noted your review on the Trip Advisor Website following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree.

I am very sorry that on this occasion you did not have an enjoyable experience whilst staying with us. I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your review with you in more detail so that I can take any necessary actions to ensure that the issues you have identified have been dealt with. I can be contacted via the hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988.

We do have a Guest Relations Manager on duty 24 hours a day and this person will do all in their power to put right any guest identified issues before they impact negatively on the enjoyment of your stay. I apologise that this person did not manage to catch up with you whilst you were staying with us.

If it is convenient I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Leeds
Reviewed 18 February 2014

On arrival, the receptionist took 10 minutes to find my reservation on the computer. My room was opposite and above a wedding disco, so there was a constant 'thump thump thump.' As I'd been up since 6.15 and had to be up at 7 the next morning, I rang reception at 10.50 to ask what time the disco was due to finish. The receptionist said he'd 'try' to find out. At 11.30pm I rang again and asked the same question - I was told 12 o'clock. At 12.15am I got up, got dressed, packed and went to reception to ask for a quieter room. I was given a new room but unfortunately I'd left my electric toothbrush in the first room. In the morning I told the female receptionist this and was asked 'Do you need your toothbrush?' She said somebody else had checked into the room and I expressed surprise, since I only left it at 12.15. When she checked with housekeeping, they said he'd been moved to another room as well. She gave me a key card, when I got to the room it didn't work, so I had to return to reception to get one that did. Obviously they had no idea of who was in certain room - when I checked in another gentleman had been given a room that was already occupied. I later found out that disco finally ended at 1.45am. My stay was a complete farce - can't recommend it at all.

Room Tip: Ask if there's any sort of event on in the evening and if the answer's yes, ask for a quiet...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Delilahcat
Dear Guest
I have noted your comments on the Trip Advisor website following your recent stay with us.

I am sincerely sorry for this issues you experienced and apologise that we were not able to put things right before you departed the hotel. I will fully investigate your comments wit the reception and night teams and take all necessary steps to ensure that they are not repeated in the future.

Should you experience issues whilst staying in any of our hotels we have a Guest Relations Manager on duty 24 hours a day who will do all in thier power to listen to any concerns you may have and put things right before you leave the hotel.

Should you wish to sicuss your review with me in more detail I can be contacted via the hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988.

Alloa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I too arrived late at night, and was given my room number and pointed in the direction of the lift. No information was offered reference breakfast times or check out time - and there was no information guide in the room either.

The room was clean (apart from the back of the bathroom door, which looked like it hadn't been cleaned in ages, goodness knows what those stains are), but the decor is tired and dated. Luckily I had a room away from the road, but the air conditioning units were in the courtyard immediately outside the room, and gave off a constant loud hum.

Breakfast was adequate, but the staff slightly disorganised ... clearing the table when you've only got up to toast a couple of slices of bread and returning to the table to find someone else has taken your place!

In summary, I slept well but would not rush to return. The staff should be more customer centric, and more bar staff!.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on the Trip Advisor website following your recent stay with us.

I am sincerely sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable experience whilst staying with us. Your feedback has been noted and I will ensure that the issues you have identified are promptly investigated and dealt with as appropriate.

If you would like to discuss your review in more detail please contact me via the hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Premier Inn London Sidcup
#266 of 1,063 in London
Best Western Palm Hotel
#523 of 1,063 in London
Clapham / Battersea
Pelican London Hotel and Residence
Ramada London Finchley
#646 of 1,063 in London

Been to Holiday Inn London - Elstree? Share your experiences!