“Here for a conference”

Ranked #622 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Here for a conference”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

It's Holiday Inn so it is what you would expect. We stayed the night before our event and the rooms were perfectly fine. We had requested rooms in a quiet part of the hotel because it is on the Barnet Bypass and these were provided.
The event ran very smoothly and all our requests were met, Clem our event manager was excellent. Overall very professional with good facilities and good choice of food for the hot lunch buffet. Well done Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Holiady Inn London-Elstree. I am pleased to read that your stay was enjoyable and that your conference was a success.

I will pass on your feedback to Clement and I am sure he will be thrilled. The rest of the team will also be glad to learn of the positive comments you have made regarding their efforts.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again when you next have reason to visit the area.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
carlisle
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have stopped in many budget type hotels in my time and this is the 1st of two hotels i stopped in this week, the other Birmingham is also reviewed-both are sub standard.
The service on the bar was poor. The lady was more interested in putting figures on the till rather than serving us-there wasnt even an acknowledgement which is basic bar practice.
The room was cold and no matter what we tried we couldnt get the temerature up.
Hotel on a whole was clean and tidy.
Breakfast was HORRENDOUS!!!! We were looking forward to the fabulous selection available so i made a plate full up of cooked items and sat down. The bread was stale, the fried eggs were uncooked but kept under the heat lights which is basically going to lead to salmonella posioning, the black pudding was rock hard and the sausages had clearly been sat for a long time. I have worked in catering for years and this standard was terrible.
I filled in a comment card and handed it into the reception and was assured the management would be in touch- i am still waiting!!!
Just because the rooms are cheap doesnt mean you have to settle for poor service and poor food and drink.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor follwoing your recent stay. I note that you have contacted us directly also with your feedback and had completed one of our in house comment cards.

I had received your comment card that you had completed following your recent stay with us, please be assured that we review all of the feedback we receive on these cards and that the points you have mentioned will be investigated and actioned where appropriate.

Due to a couple of days annual leave I did not receive your completed comment card until after you had contacted IHG Guest Relations, all comment cards come directly to me to review and respond to ensure that I am aware of all issues personally. I had seen that you had contacted IHG Guest Relations who had informed us that they had resolved the issue with you directly, I am sorry that this was not the case.

In relation to your concerns regarding the temperature of the breakfast we do take regular temperature readings to ensure the food is kept hot above the 63 degrees minimum for hot food. As well as the hot lamps the food is also heated from below via a Bain-marie hot plate system.

We do have a Guest Relations Manager on duty 24 hours a day whose role is to deal with any guest concerns before it has a negative impact on their stay. I am sorry that this person did not manage to catch up with you whilst you were in house as I do believe that a resolution to the issues you experienced could have been agreed.

I note that your booking was made and invoiced to a third party so I do not have the facility to offer you a refund. However, I hope that you will give us the opportunity to make a better impression upon you and that you will stay with us again when you are next visiting the area. If you have a suitable date in mind, please contact me directly and I will deal with your booking personally.

Assuring you of my best attention at all times.

UK
Reviewed 17 March 2014

There can be no doubt that this entire building needs a refurb, so while actually quite far from being enough to put people off, the service offering needs to step up to ensure that guests overlook the dated feel and return. After all, regular customers are the best customers.

Sadly, despite some effort from the staff, the service I experienced was not great.

Whether it was the failure of the staff to recognise a Platinum priority card holder or have my room key available, the lack of vouchers offering either a drink or points (and an inability of the staff to organise an alternative other than vaguely promising to "try contacting the bar"), the failure of the wireless internet to work in the room, the lack of offer of a newspaper for the morning - subsequently promised when prompted - but then not delivered the following day, the mediocre on-site restaurant, or my arrival at breakfast to find the trays of food almost empty or burnt under the hot lamps... All in all they add up to either a failure of management or a failure to care enough to fix what they can.

All of which was a shame because the room and bathroom was a good size and clean, the bed was comfortable and there were welcome (complimentary) drinks and chocolates in my room; and some of the staff - I'm thinking of Luz, on check-out reception, were excellent.

So my recommendation to others would not be to avoid here, but not actively seek it out; and for the owners to recognise that they and their staff will need to go the extra mile to keep this large hotel busy enough to be viable while saving for the inevitable refurb. Because Holiday Inns are stepping up the mark and it won't be too long before this one is too far behind to catch up.

Room Tip: Suites on ground floor in other wing are certainly quiet. Didn't hear a peep.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comprehensive review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website following your recent stay.

I have noted all of the points you have raised and am in the process of investigating the areas where we do not seem to have made a good impression upon you. Once I have more information I will amend my response to you.

Thank you for the positive points you have mentioned. I will ensure that Luz is made aware of your compliment about her excellent service.

In the meantime should you wish to discuss your review with me prsonally I can be contacted via the hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I have written any sort of review and this is my first. I just felt like I had to let it out!!
It was an ok place to stay at. A little outdated but nevermind. What really ruined it all for me was that firstly I had to buy WIFI internet costing me £15 POUNDS for 24hrs (which is shocking seeing how cheap internet elsewhere is) !! and secondly the guy at the reception did not even bother giving me a VOucher to log onto the internet.

I went back to reception out by that time the guy who initially served me was off and so I couldn't as for info. By the time I had actually met this guy after he started his shift, it was almost 24hrs and I did not want the internet anymore so I asked for my refind since I never used the internet and had already paid for it!!

However this guy turns around and accuses me of making a story up for £15 pounds saying " I don't get why would you pay £15 and not take the Voucher". How about I did not get given one and thought maybe they have some sort of new interactive way of activating internet or something. CLEARLY NOT.. AFTER arguing for 10 mins I finally got the surpervisor in charge to get my refund!...
Then when checking out when returning my card some other guy at the reception goes " It looks like you statyed an extra night with us". I was thinking WHAT?? and literally 5 seconds later goes oh no its ok!!... HOW CAN YOU MISREAD/Calculate that one???

RANT OVER!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest
I have noted your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree following your recent stay.

I sincerely apologise that you had an issue with confusion over the voucher your purchased for our WiFi. I will look into this and ensure the Team Member in question is investigated and any appropriate actions taken to ensure that we deal with any guest concerns more appropriately in future.

Reagrding the fee for the Internet, currently, our supplier makes a charge for this, hence why it is still chargeable. However, should you be a member of our IHG Rewards club as of 1st July 2014 use of our WiFi will be free of charge to all members.

If you would like to discuss your review in more detail I can be contacted via the Hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to make a better impression upon you and would consider staying with us again when you are next visiting the area.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Well this one nearlly slipped my net. Stayed here last year for a few nights so really got to know the place inside out.
Checkin! Staff looked like they cant be bothered, no help, no introduction.
Room? Well its seen better days but ok i suppose.
Restaurant? Not bad food, staff quite good.
Pool/sauna? Falling apart needs renovation in sauna and steam room tiles coming off, floors slimmy, get it cleaned up man. staff hardly there playing music or texting on phones from the shift i saw, never saw them once check the saunas.
Pub? Nice staff not bad prices.
Would i stay again, not unless it got revamped. I did expect better even though its cheap.
One thing that really got my back up was the reception guys attitude when i ask for wifi code, he said i had to pay for it!!!!!!! PAY FOR WIFI i argued and eventually after 10 minutes of nearlly shouting I got a 24 hour code. I run my own business so need to keep in touch, i went to the devere village hotel, its free there, and guess what, i stop there from now on, SO LITTLE things to matter to us little people. Your management/bosses need to open there eyes and read these comments properly without giving automated replies.

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Andy G,

We'd like to thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay. We regret to see the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do take all of the reviews and comments we receive from our guests very seriously as they help us to identify areas where improvement may be needed. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The first night I was in a room very close to the A1 and was frequently disturbed by the constant traffic rumble.
On the second night there was a wedding taking place and my room was very close to the function suite. The bass throb of the music nearly shook my fillings out. After several hours tryin to sleep, I eventually phoned reception to ask what time the disco was due to finish. The guy at reception told me it had already finished and got quite snotty when I disagreed with him! He said he qould investigate and call me back. He never did. 30 minutes later I rang back to ask when the noise wpould stop, and I was told that it would only be 10 minutes more. I complained that the hotel was showing no consideration for other guests, and was told that a note would be left on my booking - needless to say it wasn't.
The music eventually stopped at 01:45am, though the noisy guests probably took another 30 minutes to clear out.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the A! and the function suite
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Chris Q
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Chris Q,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is truly unfortunate to see the noise that had prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Manchester
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here many many times over the years and was disappointed. One of our rooms had writing on the wall by the bed. No toilet roll holders. Telephone not working to call reception. Bed springs gone so my husband woke up with a bad back, reception put a board in the ned which helped for our remainder nights. Swimming pool changing rooms dirty, handle bars into pool all rusty. When checking out noticed they had charged us for breakfast when was told on checkin not inc. we were overall very disappointed whereas in the past we have been so happy.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mandy C
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Guest

I have noted your review on the Trip Advisor Website following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree.

I am very sorry that on this occasion you did not have an enjoyable experience whilst staying with us. I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your review with you in more detail so that I can take any necessary actions to ensure that the issues you have identified have been dealt with. I can be contacted via the hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988.

We do have a Guest Relations Manager on duty 24 hours a day and this person will do all in their power to put right any guest identified issues before they impact negatively on the enjoyment of your stay. I apologise that this person did not manage to catch up with you whilst you were staying with us.

If it is convenient I look forward to hearing from you very soon.