“Home from home”

Holiday Inn London - Elstree
Ranked #627 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“Home from home”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stay in this hotel a lot (3-4 nights a week) and as far as the hotel is concerned, it's reasonably well appointed and although not what I'd call a luxury hotel, it is comfortable and not in bad condition throughout.

It's the staff that make the difference here and it's because of them that I always choose to stay here when working in north London. Special mention goes to Asil on the front desk who always makes arriving at the hotel a welcoming and familiar experience. That said, all the staff are friendly, helpful and willing to go out of their way to help out.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean, well appointed and really well staffed hotel in the north London area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David S
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 13 November 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your excellent 5 star review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website.
It is always a pleasure to continue to welcome back our loyal retuning customers and we appreciate your choosing to stay with us. I will certainly ensure that Asil and the rest of the team are aware of your praise and recognised as appropriate.
We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have been staying here for a number of months due to working on a project in North London. The hotel is easy to find and the external appearance is good as are the public areas. The rooms and corridors however require some refurbishment and redecoration as they are tired and worn in places although this is hardly surprising given the footfall that passes through the hotel. The service in the bar is variable depending on who is on but, on the whole, the staff throughout the hotel are friendly and efficient. Food is reasonably priced, plentiful and tasty (although not always as hot as it could be) with a good choice. Any complaints I have had (which have been few given how long I have been staying here) are always acted upon promptly. Despite being close to the A1 the rooms are quiet due to secondary double glazing on top of double glazed windows. All in all a decent hotel at a reasonable price which is convenient for Central and North London and towns in Hertfordshire.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms tend to be quieter as they are away from the A1; if you're tall avoid the mez...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alisonei
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive constructive review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on Trip Advisor. We will be certain to discuss the points you have mentioned to look to improve in the future and ensure praise is given where it is due.
We appreciate the loyalty of our regular guests who choose to return to us time after time when they are visiting the area. Myself and the team hope to be able to welcome yo back again very soon.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed here for one night on business. Easy to find, car park was plentiful and from the outside looked fine. On check in my room had been down graded from an executive room to a standard, no great drama, the reception were dealing with a customer complaint about the smell of drains in a guests room, so it felt like I was rushed away from the desk as to not overhear.

The room public areas were ok, a little tired in carpets and decoration. The room was very dated, old bathroom and room decoration. The room was large, just lacked any influence from the past 20 years.

Wifi was free and fast, which is a bonus. The gym is like something from the 80's, equipment old, not much of it and the gym space is very small with more than 5 people in there.

The pool is a great plus with any hotel, again dated and a tad on the small side. Steam room and sauna great positive, quiet and clean. The changing areas were clean, again just dated.

The bar has no Sky Sports on the TV, so headed into town instead, so cannot comment on the food as did not try any. The location is on the A1 Bypass so you will hear road noise in your room, even at the back of the hotel where my room was located.

Overall for the £120 price tag, I would not visit again. For this money you can stay at the Village hotel in Elstree which is far more modern in all areas.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree following your recent stay.

I am sorry that our hotel did not completely meet your expectations. We are aware that our hotel is not completely modern but we do pride ourselves on our efforts to ensure that everything is clean and well maintained and our team are well trained so that our guests have a comfortable stay, I trust that all was in order in these areas from your comments on your review.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again if you are visiting the area as we would welcome the opportunity to make a better impression upon you.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

It's Holiday Inn so it is what you would expect. We stayed the night before our event and the rooms were perfectly fine. We had requested rooms in a quiet part of the hotel because it is on the Barnet Bypass and these were provided.
The event ran very smoothly and all our requests were met, Clem our event manager was excellent. Overall very professional with good facilities and good choice of food for the hot lunch buffet. Well done Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Holiady Inn London-Elstree. I am pleased to read that your stay was enjoyable and that your conference was a success.

I will pass on your feedback to Clement and I am sure he will be thrilled. The rest of the team will also be glad to learn of the positive comments you have made regarding their efforts.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again when you next have reason to visit the area.

carlisle
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have stopped in many budget type hotels in my time and this is the 1st of two hotels i stopped in this week, the other Birmingham is also reviewed-both are sub standard.
The service on the bar was poor. The lady was more interested in putting figures on the till rather than serving us-there wasnt even an acknowledgement which is basic bar practice.
The room was cold and no matter what we tried we couldnt get the temerature up.
Hotel on a whole was clean and tidy.
Breakfast was HORRENDOUS!!!! We were looking forward to the fabulous selection available so i made a plate full up of cooked items and sat down. The bread was stale, the fried eggs were uncooked but kept under the heat lights which is basically going to lead to salmonella posioning, the black pudding was rock hard and the sausages had clearly been sat for a long time. I have worked in catering for years and this standard was terrible.
I filled in a comment card and handed it into the reception and was assured the management would be in touch- i am still waiting!!!
Just because the rooms are cheap doesnt mean you have to settle for poor service and poor food and drink.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor follwoing your recent stay. I note that you have contacted us directly also with your feedback and had completed one of our in house comment cards.

I had received your comment card that you had completed following your recent stay with us, please be assured that we review all of the feedback we receive on these cards and that the points you have mentioned will be investigated and actioned where appropriate.

Due to a couple of days annual leave I did not receive your completed comment card until after you had contacted IHG Guest Relations, all comment cards come directly to me to review and respond to ensure that I am aware of all issues personally. I had seen that you had contacted IHG Guest Relations who had informed us that they had resolved the issue with you directly, I am sorry that this was not the case.

In relation to your concerns regarding the temperature of the breakfast we do take regular temperature readings to ensure the food is kept hot above the 63 degrees minimum for hot food. As well as the hot lamps the food is also heated from below via a Bain-marie hot plate system.

We do have a Guest Relations Manager on duty 24 hours a day whose role is to deal with any guest concerns before it has a negative impact on their stay. I am sorry that this person did not manage to catch up with you whilst you were in house as I do believe that a resolution to the issues you experienced could have been agreed.

I note that your booking was made and invoiced to a third party so I do not have the facility to offer you a refund. However, I hope that you will give us the opportunity to make a better impression upon you and that you will stay with us again when you are next visiting the area. If you have a suitable date in mind, please contact me directly and I will deal with your booking personally.

Assuring you of my best attention at all times.

Resident Manager

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

UK
Reviewed 17 March 2014

There can be no doubt that this entire building needs a refurb, so while actually quite far from being enough to put people off, the service offering needs to step up to ensure that guests overlook the dated feel and return. After all, regular customers are the best customers.

Sadly, despite some effort from the staff, the service I experienced was not great.

Whether it was the failure of the staff to recognise a Platinum priority card holder or have my room key available, the lack of vouchers offering either a drink or points (and an inability of the staff to organise an alternative other than vaguely promising to "try contacting the bar"), the failure of the wireless internet to work in the room, the lack of offer of a newspaper for the morning - subsequently promised when prompted - but then not delivered the following day, the mediocre on-site restaurant, or my arrival at breakfast to find the trays of food almost empty or burnt under the hot lamps... All in all they add up to either a failure of management or a failure to care enough to fix what they can.

All of which was a shame because the room and bathroom was a good size and clean, the bed was comfortable and there were welcome (complimentary) drinks and chocolates in my room; and some of the staff - I'm thinking of Luz, on check-out reception, were excellent.

So my recommendation to others would not be to avoid here, but not actively seek it out; and for the owners to recognise that they and their staff will need to go the extra mile to keep this large hotel busy enough to be viable while saving for the inevitable refurb. Because Holiday Inns are stepping up the mark and it won't be too long before this one is too far behind to catch up.

Room Tip: Suites on ground floor in other wing are certainly quiet. Didn't hear a peep.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comprehensive review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website following your recent stay.

I have noted all of the points you have raised and am in the process of investigating the areas where we do not seem to have made a good impression upon you. Once I have more information I will amend my response to you.

Thank you for the positive points you have mentioned. I will ensure that Luz is made aware of your compliment about her excellent service.

In the meantime should you wish to discuss your review with me prsonally I can be contacted via the hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I have written any sort of review and this is my first. I just felt like I had to let it out!!
It was an ok place to stay at. A little outdated but nevermind. What really ruined it all for me was that firstly I had to buy WIFI internet costing me £15 POUNDS for 24hrs (which is shocking seeing how cheap internet elsewhere is) !! and secondly the guy at the reception did not even bother giving me a VOucher to log onto the internet.

I went back to reception out by that time the guy who initially served me was off and so I couldn't as for info. By the time I had actually met this guy after he started his shift, it was almost 24hrs and I did not want the internet anymore so I asked for my refind since I never used the internet and had already paid for it!!

However this guy turns around and accuses me of making a story up for £15 pounds saying " I don't get why would you pay £15 and not take the Voucher". How about I did not get given one and thought maybe they have some sort of new interactive way of activating internet or something. CLEARLY NOT.. AFTER arguing for 10 mins I finally got the surpervisor in charge to get my refund!...
Then when checking out when returning my card some other guy at the reception goes " It looks like you statyed an extra night with us". I was thinking WHAT?? and literally 5 seconds later goes oh no its ok!!... HOW CAN YOU MISREAD/Calculate that one???

RANT OVER!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest
I have noted your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree following your recent stay.

I sincerely apologise that you had an issue with confusion over the voucher your purchased for our WiFi. I will look into this and ensure the Team Member in question is investigated and any appropriate actions taken to ensure that we deal with any guest concerns more appropriately in future.

Reagrding the fee for the Internet, currently, our supplier makes a charge for this, hence why it is still chargeable. However, should you be a member of our IHG Rewards club as of 1st July 2014 use of our WiFi will be free of charge to all members.

If you would like to discuss your review in more detail I can be contacted via the Hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to make a better impression upon you and would consider staying with us again when you are next visiting the area.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Holiday Inn London - Elstree M25, Jct 23
Clayton Crown Hotel
Clayton Crown Hotel
#413 of 1,069 in London
Holiday Inn Express London - Golders Green North

Been to Holiday Inn London - Elstree? Share your experiences!