We didn't expect much, well aware you get what you pay for. However, there is basic and then there is poor...
We were travelling as a group. Me and my wife and another two. We had booked two doubles. Needless to say, we drew the short straw.
Our room was on the top floor, no 25. Problems:
1. The hotel apparently prides itself on the hand made English beds. Our bed was a glorified camp bed pushed under an old single glaze window. It was not 'pocket sprung' as the hotel literature would have you believe. It was appalling.
2. The room was dirty. Dust, hair and all sorts where it had not been thoroughly cleaned.
3. Incredibly noisy. No sound proofing at all.
4. If you are a couple staying in the room you can not get to one side of the bed without climbing over the other person - as above, it's jammed under a window in the eave.
5. The worst - There was something obviouisly wrong with the toilet. The room stank of a combination of stale smoke and sewerage. Absolutely foul.
When we brought the above to receptions attention he did not care. Even when we pointed out the clear difference between our room and the other in our group (which did have a proper bed!!!). I asked to speak to the manager but was not allowed. He was clearly used to dealing with complaints and would not entertain any discount (probably why you must pay in advance!)
I can't comment on breakfast as we got out as soon as we could. We did hear it was a 'strange' experience though, confirmed by other reviews!
In summary, don't stay here. Appaling.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly refurbished B&B budget hotel located in Kings Cross about two minutes from St Pancras International and Kings Cross station.En suite rooms and free wifi offered in the bedroooms. We offer most importantly clean and affordable rooms in the heart of London. A truly Modern B & B hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and HotelsClick so you can book your Excelsior Hotel London reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.