“Look elsewhere...”

Excelsior Hotel London
Ranked #381 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We didn't expect much, well aware you get what you pay for. However, there is basic and then there is poor...

We were travelling as a group. Me and my wife and another two. We had booked two doubles. Needless to say, we drew the short straw.

Our room was on the top floor, no 25. Problems:

1. The hotel apparently prides itself on the hand made English beds. Our bed was a glorified camp bed pushed under an old single glaze window. It was not 'pocket sprung' as the hotel literature would have you believe. It was appalling.

2. The room was dirty. Dust, hair and all sorts where it had not been thoroughly cleaned.

3. Incredibly noisy. No sound proofing at all.

4. If you are a couple staying in the room you can not get to one side of the bed without climbing over the other person - as above, it's jammed under a window in the eave.

5. The worst - There was something obviouisly wrong with the toilet. The room stank of a combination of stale smoke and sewerage. Absolutely foul.

When we brought the above to receptions attention he did not care. Even when we pointed out the clear difference between our room and the other in our group (which did have a proper bed!!!). I asked to speak to the manager but was not allowed. He was clearly used to dealing with complaints and would not entertain any discount (probably why you must pay in advance!)

I can't comment on breakfast as we got out as soon as we could. We did hear it was a 'strange' experience though, confirmed by other reviews!

In summary, don't stay here. Appaling.

2  Thank beeper85
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Dear Sir

Thanks for your review; we are listening to our customers and trying to imporove wherver possible.

I think the problem here was that you booked 2 identical rooms and your friends got a large double room with King Sized bed and you got one of our smaller doubles. Your freinds were very happy and wrote a very complenteray review . You both received the same level of service .However the two reviews are completely contrasting.
I do understand that you were not happy and I apoliogse for that .After reading this review I have now changed the bed in room 25 from a small double bed to a much larger double bed. I have also reconfigured the room lay out . I am listening to my guests and am acting accordingly.

We pride oursleves on cleanliness ; if there is anything not upto standard please infimr us immediately and we will put it right. We have 24 hr staff to help you with anything you need.

Thanks for your review

Reviewed 7 December 2012

Great location. Very small but immaculately clean rooms. There are drink-making facilities and a nice flat screen TV. The chaps in reception were polite and helpful (there's no sign actually saying where reception is - someone asked me if I was lost, in the street and pointed me in the right direction).
I'm travelling alone but there's not space for 2 people to move around plus, a suitcase. The couple in the next room had a CAMP BED squashed under the window! It's noisy. There are no facilities at all within the hotel though it's a tiny hop to the main drag and it's perfectly located for people who want to be out and about.
I was in London for an exam and needed to spend the night studying but was disturbed by the three students in the next room being what would be perfectly reasonably loud in any normal establishment but it was like they were in the room with me.
Most importantly, the breakfast set up currently is somewhat imperfect. It's in another building, there's no space at all and there's a queue. You're ushered to a table (to share with strangers in my case) and you simply want to eat as quick as is humanly possible to vacate the hot, stressful place. A couple of guys work like mad, with smiles on their faces, to run the breakfast show and they do a great job but it's simply awkward and stressful. It would be what I'd expect of a youth hostel AT BEST.
So no, it's not a central London boutique hotel - it's a basic hotel with very clean, noisy rooms and a dismal breakfast set up. Good value for money? Location, yes. The rest? Not sure.

1  Thank Lolapopsacola

Dear Guest

Thanks for your review ; we are trying to improve wherever possible and are always listening to our customers

Positives : Great location as we are opposite the train station. Cleanliness : we are very focused on ensuring that the hotel is spotlessly clean. Facilties: We try to think of everything you may need while you are here and hope to keep you comforatble and happy.Helpully and polite staff:

Negatives : We are currently building a brand new 60 seater dining room which we are trying to finish for Feb 2013. Small rooms : You have to be realistic here as we are a budget hotel in central London where you pay £90 inlcuding tax for a double room for 2 people inlcuding breakfast ......Bigger rooms in central London can only really be found in 5 star hotels who charge ..well ..a lot more .You are looking at £350 per night minimum..So you have to be realistic and there is always a trade off between Proximity to Town centre , Price and room size.
In essence if you want a hotel in central London with all the facilties please be prepared to pay the high price tags also.
We are good clean small budget hotel with superb location at an affordable price.

Many thanks for you review

Reviewed 6 December 2012

Arrived fine shown to room which was ok.
Came back to relax with our children tv didn't work was told noththing could b done and would get refund of £50. Thought great no probs went back to get it was told no and that it was only said as other customers were around got acused if being cinfrontaional and that we were welcome to leave??? :-/
Phoned police who advised us to contact trading standard which will be doing. A free breakie would gave been enough but as a refund was promised then not followed appalling!!! Please choose somwhere else plenty of budget hotels even on same road hope this helps

1  Thank kias112

Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and time taken to write about us

We are listening to all ourn guests and trying to improve in all aspects

I am really sorry you did not get a TV signal in the eveing ; I dont know why it was not working that night but it is now. Both the TVs in the appartment are working fine with all the freeview channels you would get at home.

A free breakfast and a 20 % discount would have been acceptable and a fair solution and something i would be more than happy to sanction. If you contact me I can do this for you.

Apologies for any misunderstadings here and if you need anything further please contact me directly

Reviewed 28 November 2012

I’ve spent literally hundreds of nights in this hotel so I feel very qualified to review! I stayed here over a period of three years while on business in London. The first thing to note is that space costs a lot of money in London so cheaper hotels will have rooms smaller than many people are used to. However, this hotel is well-designed to cope with that. A constant regime of decorating goes on here and because I stayed over such a long period I could see how much care goes into the hotel upkeep. The rooms are decorated really nicely – nice warm tones - and artwork adorns the walls. It was possible to leave luggage in a storage area. This was not locked or always monitored. However, I never once had anything stolen. The proximity to London St Pancras and Kings Cross makes getting anywhere in London really easy and location is a major plus of staying here.

I did experience problems sometimes but it is important to point out that almost all stays went really smoothly and these problems occurred over many hundreds of nights: sometimes I arrived to find my booking was not in place, though I was always given a room, sometimes in other associated hotels of similar quality nearby, such as Melville. Breakfast was bland for our tastes and in a different building a few minutes away. In some rooms the wardrobe space is very limited and awkward because the rail runs front-to-back so clothes are all behind one another.

The manager, Patrick, was always very responsive and grateful for repairs being pointed out so that something could be done. Emails were always replied to promptly.
Anyone who likes walking can walk from here to Covent Garden, down to the Thames, Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, and all the tourist attractions around that part of town, or get a reasonably priced tube ticket. My partner and I even walked down to the ‘Gherkin’ building from here. We have fond memories of staying at this hotel, the staff, and London generally. We’re quite picky people and we were kept happy for three years. We have also spent the last 8 months travelling the world and we now have hundreds of hotels to compare it to. We can highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We preferred rooms at the back and high up as there was less street noise (though this wasn't no...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Many thanks foir your review

We are thankful for your review and hope that you continue to stay with us .

Good to know we are getting things right !

Regards

Reviewed 25 November 2012

First impressions werent great. Informed to ensure front door was locked properly so that people didnt sleep/squat in the hallway. Stairs to the room were narrow and windy, not ideal with lots of luggage. Small uncomfortable bed that leant to one side. Not big enough for 2 adults. Thin duvet in the middle of winter resulting in a cold night. Small room no space to even walk around bed. Noisey could hear everything in surronding rooms and facilities. Shared facilities small but clean. Good location just up the road from kings cross station.

• Stayed: November 2012

Many thanks for your review

We are listening to our customers and trying to improive where necessary

We have only a handful of rooms with shared bathrooms. These are our "super economy " rooms ideal for students and people with very limited resources . Only really recomended for a certain type of traveller. These rooms are very well priced at £50 per night for 2 people .

If you want a better room please try to book our en suite rooms and larger family rooms .

Reviewed 20 November 2012

We chose this hotel because of price and location. It takes about 1-2 mins to walk to King's Cross station. Check in is not until around 1pm, but our train arrived from Paris around 11am and the gentleman at the desk allowed us to check in early after a short wait (5-10 mins). Very nice first impression. Neighborhood is nice and quiet. Definitely recommend a room with a window, as it gets quite stuffy once you've been out all day. The room itself is quite small as is the bathroom, but considering the low price and the fact that we just needed somewhere to sleep, both were sufficient. You should know that there is no lift and the stairs are quite narrow, which could be an issue if you have large or heavy bags. Breakfast was included all 3 nights we stayed and consisted of warm croissant, toast, hard boiled eggs, juice, milk, cereal, and tea or coffee. Not exactly a wide selection, but it was warm every day and great for the price. I would recommend to any couple staying in London on a budget, especially if you want near a central station.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review

We are happy you were pleased with your stay and hope to see you again soon

We are thankful that you took the time to write about us

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I definitely would recommend this hotel as:
1 - good location: just 1 min walk from the station, plenty of cafes and bars around
2 - the rooms are clean, well furnished, everything is working
3 - people who works there are very friendly and ready to help at any time
Really enjoyed my week of living there at the end of October 2012!! :)

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo