“Worst customer service I have ever experienced.”

Excelsior Hotel London
Ranked #371 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Worst customer service I have ever experienced.”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I would advise anyone thinking of booking this accommodation to think again.

Upon arrival with a group of clients, we went to reception to check in. The information we had clearly stated that we could check in from 11am. We were then told that we had to wait until 2pm to check in and that we 'should have known' this. This was despite the fact that we had our booking confirmation with the details printed.

To make matters worse, one member of staff was shouting at some other guests so much so that the lady checking our clients in was so distracted by the situation that she completely ignored their questions. I asked to speak to the manager but was told he wasn't in. I left my contact details and asked to be contacted as soon as possible. Three days later I am still waiting.

Later on the same day I went back to reception to remind them that I was dissatisfied and that I wanted to speak to someone there and then. The member of staff's reaction was to tell me that he was in fact the manager (despite being the same person who told me that the manager wasn't there earlier in the day). He then proceeded to constantly interrupt me, raising his voice at me, and then walking outside to smoke while I was still speaking.

Regarding the rooms, they are tiny. Our room didn't even have its own bathroom. Again, this was something that we 'should have known'. The toilet and shower were in separate rooms, shared between other rooms on the same floor. The shower was poor.

I will definitely never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank LA2705

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We were booked in at the Excelsior, but were taken round the corner to the Albion House. It's part of the same group, but it wasn't made clear at the time of booking that you may be put up in any of the group's other hotels.
The room was N0.13, which turned out to be at the top of six flights of narrow stairs, which wasn't explained to us when we were given the key. There's no lift, and there was no offer to carry bags up. Good job I'm fairly fit and not superstitous.
The room was very small, mostly filled with the bed, and for two people to walk past each other in it required some gymnastics. There were no curtains, but heavy shutters, which if shut didn't let any air in, so the choice on a hot June night was to open the window and not close the shutters, which meant we were woken up early by the light.
The plumbing was eccentric. Possibly because the room is at the top of the building, and water pressure was low, it took a very long time for the water to run hot, which was a particular problem in the shower. IN the morning both sink taps wouldn't work, eventually a trickle came out. After about five minutes they worked OK, but it was very frustrating.
Breakfast was OK but the fruit was uninspired - soggy apples and bananas that were several days old (at least).
I wondered about the safety aspect : there was no fire escape and only the narrow staircase to exit the building. The Fire Notice on the back of the door gave no escape plan and the space for the assembly point was left blank. There was no phone in the room , so how can you contact reception in an emergency except by running round the corner to the other hotel?
There were positives : the location; a comfy bed; fluffy towels (though only bath towels, no hand towels); staff mostly friendly and helpful.
It was OK for one night, but I wouldn't recommend it as a base for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Check about stairs and accessibility - anyone with mobility problems could not have got to the room...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

As a young travel agent from Australia I have experienced both budget and expensive hotels and resorts. For the price we paid for this I cannot believe the standard - although we paid a cheap price for London (as the prices in London are outrageous!) it still seems to me to not at all be worth the money. We paid £63 a night for the most basic room with a shared bathroom, dirty poor quality bed, tiny room, on the top floor up the rickety steep stairs and to top it off; a recently patched up ceiling that stank of the chemicals they used.
When we arrived we dumped our bags in the room and headed out in to town. When we got back later on and actually spent 5 minutes in the room we realised how horrible the room really was. We figured we would deal with feeling the springs on the bed (they would be better off just using foam mattresses!), the small room, the shared bathroom, the dirty bed (including a hole in the pillow case) as we were only there 3 nights and don't like to complain. However when the smell didn't escape the room after having the window open for quite some time and just remained so overpowering it actually gave me a sore throat we decided to say something - we went down to the lobby and explained there was a horrible smell. The man on the desk knew straight away that they had just done work on the ceiling and said that was all it was, don't worry, it's not a bad smell. We told him it sure was a bad smell and we really need to be moved - anywhere! But no can do. The patch on the ceiling seemed to be rain damaged patched up - when I touched it, it was still wet as it was that recent. My question was why would they even put anyone in that room if chemical work had been done in there so recently!? Very poor customer care.
Although the location is great for Kings Cross station - there are about 10 other hotels just on the same street alone - so shop around more before you settle for something as horrible as this. If we hadn't pre paid for everything we would have left. Very unfortunate experience. I will never be staying there again and will be including this review and thought in my final review for our travel agency clients. *Please view my photos posted for reference to the above.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank blurredadventures
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, 19 June 2014

Thanks for your review

There are certainly issues where we could have done better ; and we appreciate you pointing them out to us . We have now fixed the problem regarding the ceiling. Let me also point out that we did give the option of another room in an adjacent hotel if wanted it. We did not have any more rooms in our hotel that night so we could not move you within our group.

The room you booked is our most economical option - only really suitable for young travellers. The price tag is extremely cheap. You have to consider where you are and how close you are Central London. The rate of £60 for the room includes Tax and is for two people. It works out at £25 per person before tax. At this price we can not put top quality products in the room - It is purely a budget option . However ; there is a certain standard which we aim to achieve. These rooms are cleaned thoroughly every day by our team and we ensure all communal bathrooms and WCs are also cleaned very well. If there is anything not up to standard regarding linen- please inform us and we can remedy this immediately . I apologise if the pillow case had a hole in it - the housekeeper should have picked this up and changed it . We order in all our laundry from an external professional company.

We are systematically looking into upgrading our Basic rooms - and will continue to be pro active here.

I thank you for your valuable feedback and appreciate the your time taken to write this review.

Many thanks

Patrick

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This place is basically a walk up tenement. Our room was 3 flights of rickety stairs up-there is no elevator. It was billed as a 1 BR with lounge room that had another double bed and sofa bed. Sofa bed was unusable. To open it would require moving furniture and then when opened whoever was sleeping on the bed would need to step on it to exit.

There is a small kitchen equipped with toaster, kettle, fridge, stove and washer. Kitchen was clean but old. Could not get the oven to light.

Bathroom was clean but needs major work. There were paper towels stuffed into the tub support to try to hide the rotting wood.

Bed was comfortable with clean sheets and lots of towels. It was quite noisy with street noise and upstairs tenants.

Location was good. Easy walk to St. Pancras and Kings Cross stations. Wifi was fine.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review ; we appreciate your feedback and are listening to our guests.

Positives : Kitchen was clean…Bathroom was clean…Bed was comfortable with clean sheets and lots of clean towels..

Negatives : We are working on improving and renovating this apartment . A modernisation programme of this apartment will commence shortly . We are aware and will attend to it.

Many thanks for your review and time taken.

Regards

Ninove, Belgium
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Location is perfect, less than a 5 minute walk from King's Cross St. Pancras, we had a quiet night and it wasn't noisy at all.
Reception (check-in) is 2 buildings away, staff are very friendly and helpfull.
The room was small but that was not a surprise. PErfect for a short stay in the city.
Bathroom was very small as well but clean. There are clean towels and soap inside the shower (NOT shampoo for your hair).
Negative point: electrical outlets are different from our country (Belgium) so we coudn't charge our cellphones,... (luckily we didn't stay long).
Breakfast was OK (Both English as continental breakfast)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kirsten B
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for your positive comments and good review

NB : we have chargers and convertors available for free to charge your cell phones etc…

Surely you must know that there are different sockets when travelling to foreign countries ????

Regards

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We chose this hotel due to the reasonable price and its great location. We were staying mid week for one night on a wednesday as we had tickets for an event at Scala. The hotel is walking distance from kings cross and the venue. Located on a typical London square opposite a park. First impressions were really good. The Excelsior does not have its own reception...you have to go next door to check in which was fine.

We had booked a double room with en suite for £100 for the night and were shown to a room on the second floor. The room was functional but there was an overwhelming smell of tobacco smoke...we immediately asked to be moved...they guy who checked us in had to check the room first and agreed that it did indeed smell of smoke and said he would move us. We were then upgraded to a 'family room' which was on the ground floor overlooking the park and did not smell of smoke.

Now about this room...the carpet was incredibly dusty and so were the sides, we put this down to the hotel not expecting it to be occupied that day and therefore it may not have been hovered or dusted...I cleaned off the sides with a wet wipe myself. The bedding/sheets/towels etc were clean and so was the bathroom...which did however smell like a mens urinal. The bathroom was tiny...it was the same cupboard like bathroom in the first double room we were shown to so this must be the 'standard' en suite for this hotel...the sink is tiny and very hard to wash your face or brush your teeth due to a glass shelf above it ...the towel rail is actually in the bedroom and not in the bathroom as you cant fit it in. I understand that this is a budget hotel and they have obviously converted this house to fit as many rooms into it as possible and the bathrooms were def an afterthought.

The duvets on the beds were thin and lumpy and the pillows were different sizes.. not too much of an issue as the bed was very comfortable and once your in it you dont really notice the lumps and bumps but it looks strange and again shows there is not much attention to detail...what I could not understand was why we had an I pod dock in the room but not good duvets/pillows surely they are more important? also being on the ground floor overlooking the park/pavement a voile curtain would be good as everyone who walked by looked at us in the room...you only get privacy if you close the heavy curtains and block out all the light in the process.

Lastly and I did notice others mentioning it on their reviews is the noise...it does not come from outside but inside from other guests. There is no soundproofing at all...the floors are very creaky and as we were in a room right by the front door every time it was slammed shut we were woken up. Again I get the fact that we were staying mid week and people were leaving early for work etc but if you have had a late night out and fancy a lie in forget it here unless you are maybe on the top floor so you dont have to hear the footsteps and creaky floors above or the front door slamming every 20 mins or so.

In summary...yes this is a budget hotel and what you get for your money is ok... there just needs to be a little more attention to detail...if your not fully booked dont put guests into a room that smells of smoke if you have one free that does not...again if you do move guests makes sure the carpet has been hovered and the sides are not dusty its just small things like that that would maybe stop negative reviews on here. You cant change the bathroom size or do much about the noise but if the little things were not an issue the location and price would be worth the sacrifice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa024
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Excelsior Hotel London, responded to this review, 28 May 2014

Thanks for your review

Positives : Well priced ; excellent location .

Rooms : Our hotel is strictly Non smoking and there are notices in the bedrooms and common areas showing this. Obviously we can not control what people do in their rooms ; we just hope that this is adhered to . In general this is never really a problem however there are people from time to time that simply don't care and will smoke where they please. Extremely frustrating for our cleaning staff and future guests .
We did respond positively and moved you to another room and even gave you an upgrade; which was the correct thing to do.All sizes of rooms and bathrooms are listed on our website clearly -

We have made improvements recently regarding the curtains ; these have now been removed and we have put Plantation Shutters in each room. This looks nice and more importantly blocks out all the light. This was completed in May 2014.

We are looking into all the small details as you have mentioned and will react positively to it.

Thanks again for your feedback

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I needed a place where only to sleep. Was really busy days and I booked at the last, so happy to find a nice place, in a really nice position and quite cheap (to be London).
The problem is that I was at the last floor (the 4th), with no elevator and at that floor the wifi wasn't working (quite disappointing for me).

Room Tip: Ask for a room at a low floor
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo