“A unique venue and an interesting experience!”

The Sam Wanamaker Playhouse
Ranked #95 of 346 Concerts & Shows in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A unique venue and an interesting experience!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We went to see 'The Duchess of Malfi' here which we really enjoyed. We were sat upstairs on a balcony at the side. We showed the usher our tickets and she directed us to the wrong seats- we had paid for seated and we were put in the standing section behind. We checked our tickets with another usher and finally sat in the right place. It's quite a good view for its location and price, but to see properly you have to lean forward on the rails. The atmosphere and play were excellent! Drinks in the interval were rather expensive, £6 for two soft drinks!! The toilets were quite good and there were actually almost enough for the amount of people wanting to use them which is unusual for a theatre, where you normally have to queue for ages! We're looking forward to going back again if there's more good plays on.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Rachel P

• Czech first
Rochester, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Intimate and interesting theatre”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My wife and I saw 'The Malcontent' there on 16th April - first time at the new addition to the Globe complex - and were really impressed with the playhouse. It is small but wonderfully made and you are so close to the stage action. I would recommend it.
The play was good too - the young actors were great, some stars of the future no doubt.

1 Thank cabaldwin
London, United Kingdom
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“The Globe gets even better”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is a thrilling theatre cinema experience in a truly unique environment. It is hard to concentrate on the play as the theatre itself is such a star. A brilliant night out.

1 Thank JenLouB
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“The Knight of the Burning Pestle”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We had a really great night watching The Knight of the Burning Pestle. It was hilarious fun in a beautiful atmosphere!
The seats are quite uncomfortable, so if you get a sore back then I would look elsewhere.
The theatre is beautiful, with the beautiful candles making the light so perfect for the play. You really do feel you've gone back in time!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Belinda G
Westgate on Sea
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“I love this space”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I have seen 4 productions here now - each special in its own way. The space is amazing. Those who complain about the seating obviously haven't been to the Globe - this is much more comfortable - I'm not sure why the back row of the pit has a little step behind the seats - if you bring a bag or a cushion - it worked well. I love the candle light - it gives an incredible atmosphere. I can not think of another location in in London where you can be this close and personal with the actors - I love it - well done to the team who have brought us this marvellous theatre and this first season thank you.

1 Thank Mary S