“Good location and friendly staff”

Grange Blooms Hotel
Ranked #575 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“Good location and friendly staff”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Not sure I would call this a boutique hotel and some areas do need decorating ( stairways and corridors etc). However my room was clean and ok with a decent size bathroom. Perfectly ok for a one night stay in a good central London location. Breakfast was good and all staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Arnoldkeith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
vancouver
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I will preface this by saying that this is the only hotel in London that I've ever stayed in, so I'm not sure if this is "the norm" or not. I will also say it is my first "boutique" hotel.

I also want to preface it by saying that the front desk -- (I typically saw Allessia and Juljia there) were absolutely WONDERFUL and were the gems of this hotel.

My room was small. Small to the point where I was actually astonished, and after dropping my luggage, I found that to get to the bathroom or door, I had to jump over each time. My bathroom was - as the title suggests - smaller than the bathroom stalls at my office. The shower, I could not bend down in without hitting my head on the door. Sitting on the toilet, there was a sink in my lap ... which I suppose could be useful if I had some kind of stomach flu.

The room was clean for the most part, though I spotted some dust bunnies, an ink stain on the bed cover, and the room felt very... .. "grandma's guestroom", I suppose.

The location was superb, in an area that was bustling during the day but dead quiet in the evenings .. from the outside, anyway.

Inside, if anyone so much as opened a door on the same floor as you, you'd hear it. I was unable to sleep past 8AM due to noises of all sorts on the same floor as me.

The breakfast - much to my surprise - was 23.95GBP. I had 2 pieces of toast, apple juice, and 2 poached eggs. 23.95. Excellent service, mind you - just I could not believe that price for the small amount that they offered.

If my company deems it necessary for me to stay here again, I will be requesting a room I can move around in.

Room Tip: Shell out extra for larger rooms. When folks say "small", they mean "refurbished clos...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank mulldacity
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our end of 2013 stay at the Grange Blooms Hotel was above our expectations. The hotel is said to be a former Dickens' property and is carefully managed by an affectionate staff. Breakfast unfortunately is not included in the price but our 5 year old child has not been considered in the bill.
You cannot expect outsized rooms as they are more within the british standards, although our room had a nice curved shape with windows fronting one of the perimetral buildings of the British Museum. The best experience is to get up in time and wait for the opening of the Museum, which is 5 minutes away from the Hotel.
The staff is always very helpful and really kind with guests. We also have nothing to comply with the cleaning of the rooms nor with noises coming from other rooms. It is impossible to be disturbed from noises coming from the environment because the property's garden ends where the British Museum has placed the eastern wing and some of its offices.
Dinner at the neighbouring Grange Whitehall is simple and rather expensive but there's plenty of restaurants close to Russell Square.
In conclusion I would warmly suggest a stay at the Grange Blooms.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank FlavioP2405
Linden, Germany
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The hotel is in a typical London house.The rooms are very small, but clean and the breakfast (continental) is good.
It is in walking distance of a lot of sights and shopping places. It's located on the back side of the British Museum and tube stations as well as bus stopps are close.
If you come from Heathrow you only have to take Picadilly line till Russel Square, but consider to take enough time, because the trip takes about on hour!
It was my second stay there and both times the service was good and the staff polite and helpful.
It's absolutely fine for a short sightseeing/shopping trip to London. If you plan to relax and spend a calm holiday I'd recommend some place more outside inner London.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iris R
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Hotel in the center but outside the normal traffic of London. Nearest underground station is Russell Square or, if you want to walk 5 more minutes, Tottenham court road.
Clean, comfortable and elegant. Staff very friendly and helpful.
Who cares about the internet you pay extra.
I Will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
East Anglia, UK
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Quiet. Comfortable. Good sized rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. A good position very near the British Museum. It's not exciting. It's not exceptional. But it is very good - and you won't go wrong staying here

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank davidh of england
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I think that my expectations for this hotel were too high. It was nice. As shown in some of the photos on here the reception area is lovely with antique mahogany desk and chairs, but something about the hotel didn't impress me. Really sorry. The room was quite small, hard to get around the bed. It also took a while for me to work out how to get some light into the room. There's no main light, you have to turn on all the lamps to be able to see anything. The fan (turned on by mistake when trying to find the lights) was extremely loud!
I just felt that it was incredibly outdated. The bathroom needs a refit, it doesn't look appealing. The shower was very faint, and stopped half way through. It is a beautiful London townhouse from the outside of the building, in a beautiful street in Russell Square. The hotel basically backs onto the British Museum and is a 3 minute walk away from the Tube station, therefore the location is fantastic.
Sleep quality was okay. The Breakfast was okay, the staff didn't seem to know that we had booked a full english breakfast and it took ages to arrive. The staff also didn't seem to be available to order anything, on the first morning we didn't even know if any was working for a long time. The Breakfast room had no atmosphere and I think that it would be better if there was some music playing. We just tended to be listening to other people's conversations... Cereal was nice though.
The reception staff were lovely and very helpful, particularly in helping me get permission to use the Health facilities in the partner hotel in Holburn.
Perhaps I'm being a little harsh about this hotel, I just expected better. Really sorry.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business