“If you like gin, you'll love this”
Review of The Ginstitute

The Ginstitute
Ranked #9 of 1,284 Nightlife in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Ginstitute provides a unique and unrivalled opportunity to better understand the true spirit of London. Patrons begin their spirituous journey in the UK's second smallest museum - The Ginstitute. Our Gin Instructor will take you through the long and frequently miserable, history of gin. From the drink's origin as a medicine, through the gin craze that gripped Britain for 200 years and onto the Golden Era of gin as a cocktail ingredient and finally how gin has taken it's position in the modern world. Once the History lesson is over, it's time to head upstairs to The Still Room, where Ginterns will test their senses with a tutored tasting and nosing of the key botanical ingredients of London Dry Gin, ready to create their own bespoke one-of-a-kind, unique and hopefully delicious gin. To mark their graduation, students will be presented with a full-size bottle of their own personal blend, the recipe for which will be kept on file for you to reorder as often as you need! Sessions need to be booked in advance.
Catterick, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you like gin, you'll love this”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We took a group of 12 people along for a friend's Stag do and had a great time. It was an extremely interesting and fun afternoon, with plenty of drinks to keep us merry. We all got to make up a bottle of gin under Jake's watchful eye, in addition to the bottle of Portobello Gin which came with the session. Jake was happy to answer all our questions (there were many) and all in all, in was a really great afternoon doing something totally different, and great value for money. Definitely worth a go!

Northampton
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Best Attraction in London!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

My sister and I decided to go as a joint birthday celebration day out, and I can safely say it was literally one of the best days ever!
Definitely make sure you eat beforehand, you get plied with a lot of gin (not that I was complaining!) - g&t on entry, a Tom Collins with the history lesson, and a cheeky martini to finish. And the numerous tasters of neat gin.
The history lesson/presentation was really interesting, and was a really detailed look at gin's (somewhat dirty) past.
The blending class was incredible! Given free reign of over 20 different botanical distils, you could pick what ever you wanted and the tutor would tell you it sounded nice (I guess all gin is good gin!).

I am already recommending the Ginstitute to my parents, their friends, my boyfriends parents... Anyone who'll listen to me blab on about gin really!

Cardiff
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“For Gin Lovers Everywhere”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

One hell of a way to spend the afternoon.

Really enjoyed the whole experience. From the history of Gin (set in a mock Gin Palace) to the Gin crafting session...not forgetting to mention the G&T's, Cocktails!

Worth every penny and a great gift for the Gin-Lover in your life.

Visited January 2014
Alloa
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“If you are a gin lover then you HAVE to experience this.....”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

As gin drinkers we gave this to our friends as a wedding gift and we joined them there on 3rd April. You should make sure that you have had a good lunch before starting. We had a fantastic ploughmans lunch in the Portobello Star pub which set us up nicely. Lunch also gave us a chance to try a couple of the many gins that the bar has available. At 2pm we made a move to The Ginstitute where Jake gave us a good education on the history of gin in the UK whilst pouring several gin based drinks. From here we made our way up to the blending room where we all produced our very own bottle of gin under the expert guidance of Jake. We had a good bunch of folks on our day which made the challenge even more fun. I'd recommend this as a great day out for anyone you know that is a gin drinker.

Bristol, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“An awesome experience.”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I decided to do this for my boyfriends 30th and I'm so glad I did. The whole thing takes around 3.5 hours, starting with a 1 hour talk on the history of gin, very interesting. Then you go and make your own bottle! The guy running it knows loads about gin and is clearly very passionate.
Of course they ply you with loads of gin throughout the experience! We left happily clinking up the road with our 4 bottles of gin, a great afternoon and well worth it.