“Convenient, Good Value, Meh Service”

Shaftesbury Hyde Park International
Ranked #299 of 1,090 Hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“Convenient, Good Value, Meh Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I just needed a centrally located hotel for a one night stopover in London for a business trip. I found an excellent deal here and so I booked. First, if you're looking for value for money- I'd recommend this hotel in a heartbeat. However, the service was lacking in some key ways...
When I arrived, no one was at the front desk... so I waited and waited.... The front door also wasn't locked, which in most hotels that I've stayed at in London is a pretty common and sensible thing to do. When the staff finally came out all they did was ask my name, give me the key and say "you're on the first floor". I thanked them but they had already gone back behind the barrier, never to be heard from again.
The room was really nice (especially for the price!). It was updated, clean, and comfortable! Again, excellent value for money and is super close to two tube stations. A+ for those features! And the only reason this hotel gets 3 stars.
My service woes continued when I had trouble logging onto the wifi because no one at the front desk had given me any info whatsoever and there was no book in the room explaining the services. I went down to ask, waiting again for a good long while for someone to come out of hiding. They finally did and I asked for the the password. They actually rolled their eyes and then gave it to me in a really exasperated fashion... then again they were gone again without even saying goodbye, you're welcome, or anything. Strike two.
Strike three came at check out when I again had to wait a good 10 minutes for someone to show from.... wherever/whatever is behind those barriers.
My advice to the hotel: move a computer to the front desk and actually have someone sit there. My advice to travelers, if the price is right and that's truly all you care about: go for it! It is truly a nice, modern, and convenient place. Just don't expect a smile, a hello, or any acknowledgment whatsoever. All in all, I'm pleased with the price and location though. I slept well! And that's what really mattered.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Amy T
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking time to forward your feedback which will be of great help to us in order to improve our service & standard level.

Your comments have been taken on a serious note and we sincerely apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you due to the unpleasant experiences you had. Please do write to me on the below mentioned email address and kindly let me know the booking details or room number you stayed in. I will ensure the flaws noticed in this particular room are rectified.

We do hope to make your future stay a pleasant one and request you to give us another opportunity to restore your faith in the ShaftesburyHyde Park International.

Mandar Dhage.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

As my wife and I stepped into the Hotel a beautiful aroma of fresh flowers was evident from the display in the foyer. In the foyer was also fresh fruit and chocolate for Guests to enjoy. The reception Staff were helpful and friendly people. Our room was a little small (as expected in London) but comfortable and modern with a clean en-suite, coffee and tea-making facilities and free safe. The breakfast was self-service and very well presented. The restaurant Staff were friendly and very helpful offering to make omlettes and crepes as well as the continental and English Breakfast provided.We were totally impressed by the Staff who always asked if we had a good day and checked everything was all right. There is a wonderful welcoming atmosphere throughout the Hotel and we will certainly visit again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a good review for Shaftesbury Hyde Park international. we are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that the quality of service you experianced met with your expectation. we are delighted that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant. we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to london.

Mandar Dhage
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We were looking for a slightly bigger room than the usual London shoebox so we booked a club room through the hotel's website. We were very surprised at how spacious our room was. Everything is modern, clean and comfortable. The bathroom is always the most important thing to me in choosing a hotel and I am VERY picky. It was very clean and soothing with a great overhead rain shower. We really appreciated the extra touch of an American style outlet in the room (though voltage might not be US so I wouldn't plug a hair dryer in it but no matter, they provided a great hairdryer). We had a nice big flat screen TV and enough closet space for two. The only downside was the complete lack of drawers/dressers. We had to keep the majority of our clothes in our suitcases but that was really a minor inconvenience in trade for having a more spacious room. The club room also offers a fridge and microwave. Given a Sainsbury's, Tesco and M&S food shops are nearby, we saved money keeping sandwiches and microwave meals in the fridge. The hotel also has free wifi that was actually very reliable though if you're on a mobile device you have to constantly log back in.

The location of the hotel was excellent. Lots of useful shops right there (e.g. Boots, Sainsburys, banking etc). It was right by Paddington (which is great if you're coming in on Heathrow Express). The Bayswater circle/district tube is virtually across the street and the Queensway stop for the central line just a block or so down as well so we never needed taxis or walk far to get home. The hotel itself isn't on the busy street but rather is on a quiet treelined street with lovely residential buildings. It was very quiet.

The staff are very helpful, kind and always smiling. The lobby smells gorgeous from fresh flowers!

If you book through the hotel, a free breakfast buffet is included. This saved a bundle of money as it's an extremely ample full english and continental breakfast. The food wasn't the greatest ever but it was good and very filling.

I will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: Club rooms aren't that much more expensive. They don't mean a high floor or better view, but...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are especially happy to know that the location made a great impact on you.

I can assure you that your comments will not only motivate our team but also encourage them to maintain and improve on the service you have come to expect.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International in the near future.

With kindest regards

Lahore, Pakistan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I had vacation in London and my booking was at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International . The hotel was calm and the room was nice club room and the stuff was friendly and climate of room was nice and the heating was working very well. . the reception was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank imran_khan2014
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

With kindest regards

dm.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com
Karachi, Pakistan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Staff is very co-operative helpful and friendly...Well decorated Rooms...Situated at a best location...Slightly smaller rooms but the room and bathroom are both lovely and very clean...Breakfast is good and hygienic...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your positive feedback.

For us is very important to know how our guest's feel, as our entire team is working very hard to achieve higher percentage of guest satisfaction at all levels.

We will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team & your motivating & encouraging feedback will act as a benchmark for us to maintain at all times.

Once again, thank you very much for your time & we look forward to serve you soon in the near future.

At any future visit to our hotel feel more than welcome to contact me on the below email address,so I can arrange your stay.

uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Having stayed here before and been pleasantly surprised, me and my partner decided to stay here again just before christmas. Although this time we stayed in the clubroom, which was lovely. Slightly smaller then our last but the room and bathroom were both lovely and very clean. We were also welcomed with chocolate on our bed and a plate of fruit and various drinks which was just lovely.
The breakfast was great with a lovely choice of food. Having stayed in quite a few hotels in london this has been by far the best place for breakfast.

I could also not thank the hotel enough because I was unlucky enough to get very ill during my say with a sickness bug and could not eat anything but they were lovely and provided me with lots of biscuits which I could just about manage to it.

A highly recommended place to stay and very close to the tube station!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Hyde Park International for your recent visit to London. We really appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International was able to meet your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Shaftesbury HydePark International.

Warm Regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed here for a few nights in December. The location in bayswater is great- very near to Hyde park and Kensington palace, coffee shops, super markets and lots of bars and restaurants. The hotel itself is really good value for money for its location. I stayed there on 2 separate occasions in 2 different rooms. Breakfast was good, free wifi and very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed December 2013