“Mind blowing”

Shaftesbury Hyde Park International
Ranked #295 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed at hotel with my friends for few days. The hotel was located in very nice area and closed to two tube station. The room was very clean and modern. The staff was friendly and helpful all the time. I will defiantly stay here next time whenever I am in London

• Stayed: January 2014
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are especially happy to know that the location made a great impact on you.

I can assure you that your comments will not only motivate our team but also encourage them to maintain and improve on the service you have come to expect.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International in the near future.

With kindest regards

Mandar Dhage.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,624)

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel in January 2014. On the plus side, it was clean. Its location close to two tube stations was very useful.
On the other hand, it was relatively expensive, all the more so when you realized what you were paying for. Our room was tiny. The double bed meant no room for anything else. It was extremely difficult to access the wardrobe or the window. There was nowhere to sit. It was cramped beyond belief. I have seen bathrooms in many hotels that are bigger than the this bedroom.
The noise was another matter. The elevator was either old or badly maintained -- it was very noisy and it 'pinged' very loudly as it arrived. We could hear it throughout the early part of the night. Equally we could hear other guests and staff as they arrived, often noisily, to their rooms.I was awoken at about 7.30 am one morning by staff working in the room opposite.
The room was also quite cold. The thin duvet, clearly designed for summer use, provided little protection against a cold London winter. We could not get the AC to provide any heat.
Two other negatives in the room : a printed dire warning as to additional costs that would be incurred if the room required extra cleaning was left on the nightstand and a plug-in air freshener, hidden behind the top of the mattress. The latter is a nasty surprise, particularly for anyone prone to asthma.
The dining room served a reasonable breakfast, but a lot of steps had to be traversed to get there - it is in the basement. Food was fine, but a limited choice. Tables were - surprise, surprise - very small and barely adequate for two.
The reception area was adorned with a beautiful floating flower arrangement. Some English language newspapers were provided. The couches were just about adequate for sitting on while waiting but did not encourage a leisurely read of the newspaper.
In summary this hotel was clean and served its purpose, centrally located. While ideal for those who will be out for the entire day and need only some place to sleep, it is passable but at a hefty price. It is essentially overpriced. A dedicated bijou hotel, far far smaller than anything I have ever come across before, it has a price tag of a much larger chain. Unless you are completely stuck, avoid -- you will find much much better value elsewhere while still being very close to the action in London. Cost brings it from poor to terrible.

Room Tip: Preferably go someplace else. If stuck, insist on a lift far away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Macanta

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking time to forward your feedback which will be of great help to us in order to improve our service & standard level.

Your comments have been taken on a serious note and we sincerely apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you due to the unpleasant experiences you had. Please do write to me on the below mentioned email address and kindly let me know the booking details or room number you stayed in. I will ensure the flaws noticed in this particular room are rectified.

We do hope to make your future stay a pleasant one and request you to give us another opportunity to restore your faith in the ShaftesburyHyde Park International.

dm.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I was initially surprised by the smallness of my room (very small) but that quickly vanished. I ended up loving it. The room was well decorated and immaculate, and gave a feeling of cosiness, not smallness. The bathroom was great. It was modern and of the usual size for a hotel. Overall I found I felt safe, secure and cosy. The staff really care about their guests and their reputation, and the only small issue I had (which was the coffee and milk sachets not being replaced the following day) was dealt with immediately, with an abundance of replacements being delivered to my room within minutes. The location also adds to this hotel. It's about 40 metres from Bayswater station, which is on a street that is full of activity and felt alive, with a large number of restaurants, takeaways and a supermarket. It is also very close to Kensington Gardens. As a single female travel I felt perfectly safe, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 121Kathy
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you so much for your positive feedback.

For us is very important to know how our guest's feel, as our entire team is working very hard to achieve higher percentage of guest satisfaction at all levels.

We will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team & your motivating & encouraging feedback will act as a benchmark for us to maintain at all times.

Once again, thank you very much for your time & we look forward to serve you soon in the near future.

At any future visit to our hotel feel more than welcome to contact me on the below email address,so I can arrange your stay.

dm.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband booked this hotel via the internet for a birthday treat for my Mother and I to see a West End show (Richard II ) what a great choice it was. Nice quiet location but close to Bayswater tube station. Very clean indeed (& I rarely say that !) good breakfast and very friendly helpful . We booked a club room but it was on the small side but we didn't pay a lot.

Room Tip: None really
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Hyde Park International for your recent visit to London. We really appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International was able to meet your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Shaftesbury HydePark International.

Warm Regards

Mandar Dhage

Reviewed 28 January 2014

With the tube near, cosy (often smallish - I have stayed a couple of times) rooms and great value for money, this is the hotel I chose on almost all my London trips. I have stayed here 1-3 times per year the last few years and never been disappointed.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your very kind feedback.

I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Kind Regards,
Mandar Dhage

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We enjoyed our stay very much very helpful staff specially the manager Mandar, location, cleanse was perfect rooms are very cozy, every every thing was just perfect, when we arrived we got free breakfast, out stay was 4 nights we took 2 days breakfast for free

• Stayed: January 2014
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

With kindest regards

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I just needed a centrally located hotel for a one night stopover in London for a business trip. I found an excellent deal here and so I booked. First, if you're looking for value for money- I'd recommend this hotel in a heartbeat. However, the service was lacking in some key ways...
When I arrived, no one was at the front desk... so I waited and waited.... The front door also wasn't locked, which in most hotels that I've stayed at in London is a pretty common and sensible thing to do. When the staff finally came out all they did was ask my name, give me the key and say "you're on the first floor". I thanked them but they had already gone back behind the barrier, never to be heard from again.
The room was really nice (especially for the price!). It was updated, clean, and comfortable! Again, excellent value for money and is super close to two tube stations. A+ for those features! And the only reason this hotel gets 3 stars.
My service woes continued when I had trouble logging onto the wifi because no one at the front desk had given me any info whatsoever and there was no book in the room explaining the services. I went down to ask, waiting again for a good long while for someone to come out of hiding. They finally did and I asked for the the password. They actually rolled their eyes and then gave it to me in a really exasperated fashion... then again they were gone again without even saying goodbye, you're welcome, or anything. Strike two.
Strike three came at check out when I again had to wait a good 10 minutes for someone to show from.... wherever/whatever is behind those barriers.
My advice to the hotel: move a computer to the front desk and actually have someone sit there. My advice to travelers, if the price is right and that's truly all you care about: go for it! It is truly a nice, modern, and convenient place. Just don't expect a smile, a hello, or any acknowledgment whatsoever. All in all, I'm pleased with the price and location though. I slept well! And that's what really mattered.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business