“Not great”

Ranked #289 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not great”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Was expecting this to be much better as I have stayed at the Grand Royale which is the same chain but this one is poor. The beds are small (3/4 beds), the room that we stayed in had a small shower and if you were any bigger than a size 14 you wouldn't have been able to fit through the tiny gap to get in it and the breakfast was freezing cold. You can get a lot better hotel for less money. Will not be returning!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for the review and for the time and effort taken to write the review.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that the service has caused you. Please be advised we have taken the feedback seriously and are working out with the chef of the hotel to tackle the issue regarding cold breakfast .

Could you please be kind enough to contact me on the below mentioned email address so we could get back to you personally.

We at The Shaftesbury Hyde Park International strive to make sure each and every guest experiences luxury and a wonderful stay.

For any further reservations please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dm.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com

With Regards
Mandar Dhage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Great value in London. Excellent locaton, near to bus and sub stops, few steps from hyde Park. The price excellent for the location and quality.
Only something to comment, no lift on higher stocks. Would repeat there or in any of the shaftesbury hotels in London.

Room Tip: Choose street view room
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

thank you so much for your feedback. please accept my sincere apology for your inconveniance due to lift was out of service.

For us is very important to know how our guest's feel, as our entire team is working very hard to achieve higher percentage of guest satisfaction at all levels.

We will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team & your motivating & encouraging feedback will act as a benchmark for us to maintain at all times.

Once again, thank you very much for your time & we look forward to serve you soon in the near future.

At any future visit to our hotel feel more than welcome to contact me on the below email address,so I can arrange your stay.

With Regards
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed here on a shopping trip to London. The hotel is in a great location about 30seconds from Bayswater tube station. A must if you wish to get around London and my advice is pick up an Oyster card for ease of use on the Tube.

Reception area is nice and modern, but then you get to the rooms...

On a down side is the rooms !!! They are tiny. We got upgraded to a club room which is somewhat bigger. Good knows what room we were getting, because the two of us could not move around the room together. Also the bathroom is tiny and also the wash sink. On a plus we didn't spend much time in the room, which made it just about ok. There is an Aircon unit to heat or cool the room, but it was a bit noisy.

Breakfast was nice, didn't eat in the hotel otherwise. On a whole rooms were to small. I would look next time to somewhere with bigger rooms. Having read reviews of late I am always spectacle of the 5* reviews from people, in which this is there 1st review as oppose to other reviews from senior contributors etc. Just a word to the wise.

Room Tip: The biggest one possible
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Hyde Park for your recent visit to London.
We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
I request you to please give us another opportunity to serve in future.

Kind Regards

canada
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel back in November, for a total of seven nights, with a gap of two days in between when we took a side trip to Oxford. The room was OK, clean and nicely decorated. However, it was a very small room and the two of us could not move around without hitting ourselves into its furniture, dustbins, etc.. It was so tiny little room, comparing with where I stayed in Paris, Geneva, and Berlin in the same trip. In fact, rooms this hotel are even smaller than those in Tokyo! And yet, we paid as much as 165 pounds per night, without breakfast!

The services are not impressive either. For the first four nights in London, we stayed there, and returning to the same hotel after two nights of absence in Oxford. When asking for leaving our baggages at the hotel for those two days, the lady manager replied with a very blunt NO. We think that;s really unfriendly because we had paid and would stay at the same hotel in two days' time. So, it turned out we have to carry our big baggages all the way to Paddington, stored there for two days, and then took back all the way to the hotel. I am a senior citizen, though my partner is a lot younger, and this unfriendly refusal by the manager had indeed caused me much inconveniences and I had also my back muscle hurt as a result.

We wrote in advance asking for a quiet room on a higher floor. We were eventually put up in a street-facing room on the first floor. Interesting, right?

A very unfriendly management to me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time and effort taken to write the review.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that the service has caused you. Please be advised we have taken the feedback seriously and are working out to tackle the issue.

Sincerely

Mandar Dhage.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I started off booking this room by phoning the hotel group, then I realised that it was more "cost effective" to join there Premier club rewards as you get a further 10% off and automatic upgrade when possible. I booked a Deluxe double room thinking it would be a tad better than the Travelodge I usually go for in London, I also added to the booking I would prefer a bath to a shower as my partner is disabled.

We got to the hotel very easy, it has good access to transportation (Bus & tube) and was in a nice area we entered the reception which was very modern and clean.

We then got given our keys and from the start the manager was apologising for the room we were to be given as they were very busy that weekend he said it wasn't possible to upgrade to a club room, We were given our keys and proceeded to our room 005. On entering I was gob smacked to say the least, the room was the smallest I have ever stayed in, the bedroom and bathroom (had a shower not a bath) were no bigger than my front room, which isn't that big !! I do not know how they could call it deluxe, on a positive note it had all the facilities that I would expect in any hotel, ok there was an ironing board in the room in the wardrobe but where you would have erected it I do not know, the lighting in the room was very poor

We opened our cases well I say open but there was no room to fully open the case and walk by. The room was cold even though the temperature of the air con was set to 30. My partner was frozen and I checked the air con it was set to cooling and you could not change to heating. I complained and one of the staff rushed behind the screen at the reception and changed a setting and the when I got back the display on the Air con had changed to heating. the room did heat up but was really noisy and kept us awake.

Now the next thing with this room was the bed, this room as I booked it was a deluxe double the bed was definitely not, it was slightly larger than a single but not much I don't class myself as large and my partner is not large either but that night to sleep we had to cuddle up very closely else one move one of us would had been pushed out of the bed, Warwick Davis' and his wife would have struggled to sleep in that bed !! It also didn't help that the window was an old sash window not even double glassed and very leaky my partner complained of a bad neck, when we had a closer look and found mould and peeling wallpaper behind the curtains.

We went for breakfast (having to wait as the restaurant was busy) we went down into the basement down steep stairs the breakfast was ok nothing special and there were no hash browns (one of my favourites). Ok they had had a bit of a rush before we got there but they should still ensure that there were enough food for everyone, the tables looked like they had bought them for a coffee shop and not a dinning room.

I then went to the reception and complained about the room, I was told we would get upgraded but the room would not be ready until 2pm, We went back to our room to get ready to go out sight seeing as we walked back into the reception we were told our new room was ready early, we received the keys and proceeded to the 4th floor.

The rooms were like chalk and cheese, the club room was what I expected of a normal 4 star hotel room, luckily the air con had been set to heat not cold and was working. We left for the day and went out sight seeing.

We slept well that night but I was off to an event that day so my partner stayed in the hotel as she was still tired from Friday night lack of sleep. I left the do not disturb sign on the door thinking that we did not need service. When I got back she said she had been disturbed and someone had tried to enter the room, she also had two phone calls on the room phone asking if she wanted the room serviced which after leaving the do not disturb sign on the door handle I would not have expected.

We slept then went for breakfast the next day, I went and complained about the intrusion into our room and recapped the issues we had with the hotel the house keeping manager said no one had entered the room. the manager was embarrass and said that they had not reached the standard that was expected. I went back to the room and finished packing and we relaxed before leaving, again someone tried to enter the room without knocking even though the sign was on the door and we were nowhere near the vacating time. We went down to the reception and once again complained, the manager was very apologetic and we received compensation, we were given a discount, a bottle of wine and they arranged a taxi to the railway station that turned out to be a Limousine.

I don't like to give bad reviews, I much prefer to give glowing reviews of places when the service is good, In general the service we received at the hotel was really good but the room on the first night spoilt our break.

Subsequently my partner has found her GHD hair straightener's have gone missing when she unpacked her case at home. She had not used them that weekend, there is no point in trying to blame anyone as there is a sign in the room stating you are responsible for the safe keeping of your own property, I have never in all my years of traveling had anything stolen.

To sum up don't let them fob you off with room 005 and read all the other reviews on here, I will not be looking to book this hotel again I will be going back to the Travelodge for my trips to London in the future, I could have saved £100 going to Travelodge even booking up only a few weeks before. I just thought I would book a nice 4 star hotel I now wish I had not.

I have given it a poor rating and not terrible as I get the feeling the front facing staff wanted to give customers a really good service and did care, all this hotel needs it to change the rooms like 005 to single rooms and ensure that the rooms are in good condition, as I have said they have a great location but the finish of our room let them down.

Room Tip: If you are a couple don't let them fob you off with room 005, If you have problems complain to t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peterboro_traveller
Mandarshf, Manager at Shaftesbury Hyde Park International, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I request you to please give us another opportunity to serve in futur

Kind Regards

Mandar Dhage.
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Great with personnel who just solve issues that arise, all personnel I met in this hotel just exceeded my expectations. I was relocated to this hotel from their sister-hotel, due to the inconvenience I got an upgrade.

Neat, clean and a great location.
Also had an iron/ironing board, very valuable when on business trips.

Can recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave detailed feedback following your recent stay with us at the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your kind words to my team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests receive only the best in customer excellence.

i hope we shall be afforded the opportunity of welcome you back and please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I was staying in rm no 203 for 4 days.Staff at the hotel are very hospitable specially Mr Mandar Dhage and his entire team.Location of the hotel is excellent. Hyde park is just 3 min walking distance , baywater tube station is precisely 1 min from the hotel. So I believe the connectivity is excellent . The area is very peace full. There are indian restaurants and other type of cuisine are available at a walking distance . Excellent location.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest

We all team were glad that your special comment about central location. .

With kindest regards,