“THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN”

Shaftesbury Hyde Park International
Ranked #300 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Sheffield, Yorkshire
“THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN”
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I work in the travel business and stayed in hundreds of hotels over the years. This was the first time I had stayed at any of the Shaftesbury Hotels in London and will be my last.
I was allocated the smallest room I have ever seen. Every few minutes the room would vibrate with the tube running underneath so could only sleep for the few hours during the night when the tubes don't run. I really cannot understand how this hotel has a four star rating as it has nothing to offer over than a reasonable location. There isn't really a bar as such and the reception is very unwelcoming. I couldn't see daylight from my room and there was no mobile reception so I had to keep going outside to see if I had any messages. I know that some people complain for complaining sake but working in the industry I am generally sympathetic towards problems. The price paid for the room was a total rip-off and I for one will not be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2010

This hotel has the best location for seeing all the things of London. It has a 4 star rating but I do not understand why they have it and are able to charge such a lot of money. It is a place to sleep but not to hang around. The room was so small we practically had to stand sideways to pass each other!!! and there was only one stool to sit on. The common guest areas are downstairs and very sterile not welcoming and warm and definately not inviting. The staff are lovely though but could do with some training in making customers feel really welcome and appreciated. After all guests pay the wages. I would not want to stay there again. These reviews do not seem to make much difference do they?

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2010

A "deluxe double" room so small there isn't even a chair. The double bed is only double size if you are an oompa loompa. Speaking of which, they may as well have hired oompa loompas at the reception desk. This is an AA Four star hotel! I can only guess that someone at the AA hotel rating service has been forced into a deluxe double bed with someone at the Shaftesbury hotels head office.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank z00ey24
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I have stayed in many hotels of varying qualities in London. My previous, and long-standing, record for smallest hotel room ever seen was the Strand Palace Hotel, but unfortunately the Shaftsbury Hyde Park has triumphed and is now the new winner. I very much doubt if I will see its like again, as I certainly won't be going back, and I think it's not that likely that you could find a smaller room anywhere. Showering was an adventure, as it involved manoeuvring through the tiny gap between the loo and the sink and into a very narrow space. And then out again.
I'm not claustrophobic, fortunately, but I did feel distinctly uncomfortable about this. The room was £119 without breakfast so hardly a rock-bottom bargain. They're taking the mickey...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Madrid - Barcelona
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I booked here through LateRooms website and I do not know whether this had anything to do with the fact that we didn't have any problems with our booking. I was dreading this part after all the comments I had read online but maybe I got lucky. The reception staff appeared to be very efficient though maybe not very welcoming. The room price was very good, the double for less than 90 GBP without breakfast.

Our rooms were on the third floor and, aside from the obvious - small, they were actually excellent. I say the obvious because most centric hotels located in old traditional in european capital cities tend top have microscopic rooms. In terms of the rating system, shouldn't forget that hotels in the UK do not use the standard continental star system so you shouldn't take for granted that the "self rated" 4 stars here tally with the normal 4 star hotel in the continent. Having said that, I have staid in a crazy expensive, "de luxe" hotel in the center of Paris and the rooms were even tinier than these.

Rooms are simple but elegant and very clean. Ours had large flat screen TV, small but excellent bathrooms with power-showers that are real pleasure to use, free wi-fi (very good quality), tea and coffee facilities, etc. There area where the hotel is located seems very quiet and, although the building is old and you can hear everything, we didn't have any problem to sleep at night.

Breakfast price was outrageous (15 GBP per person) so we weren't even bother to try. However, there are plenty of cafés in the area and quite a few restaurants. The hotel is very well located for the parks but it's a long walk to Oxford Street and the museums. From London Paddington it's less than 15 min easy walk.

All in all, very recommendable if you do not mind walking to the places. I would certainly stay again but the management has to do something with the overbooking practice other costumers have repeatedly reported if they do not want to put people off of staying here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
notts
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We arrived for one night on a Friday. Easy walk from tube, pleasant location. Very stylish interior especially in the lobby, with plenty of seating and newspapers/magazines for guests to use. We arrived 2 hours before check-in and couldnt go to our room but they organised our paperwork and held out bags for us. Sadly, the girl on reception (wearing a 'trainee') badge, seemed to be struggling, not only with the job itself but also with the power of speech - she muttered one word questions and responses and mostly greeted our questions/answer in return with a confused look. The other checkin desk staff were not anymore chatty but did at least manage to do the necessary things to find our booking!

We didnt have any problems with hotel moves, or see anyone else who did, but I suspect this was due to arriving so early, so would only book here again if I knew we could arrive very early (given the many poor reviews).

Room - booked club room via lastminute, great value and brekkie included, room was quite a high spec, clean and tidy. No fridge but not a major problem for us. Comfortable bed, can just about hear the tube rumbling past regularly until about midnight and again from 7ish, but didnt disturb us.

Breakfast was more than adequate, the usual offerings but tasty enough. Again, staff seemed to favour one word conversations but were helpful enough.

Checkout, very accommodating about us leaving our bags again, but still a virtually silent transaction!! Either the staff are having a competition to see who can use the fewest words in the day or they havent had much training in customer relations! Its a shame, because a very nice quality hotel is being let down by its service.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 14 July 2010

Very friendly staff. We stayed at a deluxe-room (don't quite remember the name.. Deluxe or Club or something...) The room was very small. A BIG bed, widescreen TV, refridge, nice bathroom. It felt very luxurios. 10 min to subway/buses. They do not serve breakfast, a drawback.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends